Somebody Like Me

Thirty Seven: You Either Take It Or You Don’t

Gently folding the up the shirt that she held in her hands, Cassie let out a small sigh, her green eyes peeking down towards her bump as the baby gave another soft kick. It wasn’t the first time, since the baby had started to move, there had been more than a few days were he had appeared restless, and whilst Cassie was thrilled by the idea of him moving, it did leave her slightly uncomfortable from time to time, something which irked her a little.

Shaking her head softly, she moved to settle the shirt down onto the back of the couch before she shifted her hand, rubbing gentle circles into her bump. “You’re definitely your papa’s son, aren’t you?” she mumbled quietly, a soft frown pulling at the corner of her mouth at her mention of Sergio. It had been a few days, after he had asked her to move in with him, he had been ushered off to start pre-season with Real Madrid, but still Cassie didn’t quite know what to say to him, even if she knew that he was prepared to let her take her time when it came to making a decision, she couldn’t quite come up with an answer.

She knew that it made sense, with their son due in a matter of weeks, Cassie knew that it made sense that she and Sergio lived together, but still she remained hesitant, even if things between her and Sergio were good. She was worried that things were moving too fast too soon between the two of them.

Gently tracing circles into the front of her shirt, she closed her eyes for a couple of seconds before the sound of the doorbell filled the air, something which caused her to sigh a little before she gently pushed herself up to her feet. Straightening out her shirt slightly, she padded through the apartment before she pulled the door open, her eyes widening a little at the sight of Sara who stood on the other side, a bright smile on her face. “Sara” she squeaked “Wh…What are you doing here?” she posed softly as she stepped out of the door way.

Sara, who’d moved to step over the threshold, tilted her head. “We agreed to go and get some lunch” she noted “I mean, I am due to head back to Porto tomorrow and we agreed to have a last catch up before I did. Did you forget?” she posed, a slightly amused smile appearing on her face.

Cassie blinked a couple of times before she shook her head softly. “I’m sorry” she mumbled softly “For the last couple of days I’ve been a little distracted and it must have slipped my mind. Give me five minutes to get changed?” she posed softly, her voice slightly flat.

Sara lifted an eyebrow, not missing the tone of Cassie’s voice, before she nodded her head, flashing her another smile. “Of course” she mused softly “I’ll wait out here” she added.

Cassie flashed her a brief appreciative smile before she stepped out of the room, her stomach flipping a little at the thought of heading out to lunch with her friend. She knew that Sara would get it out of her, before she'd moved to Portugal with Iker, the two of them had been particularly close, and Cassie knew that she’d get it out of her, even if she did want to keep it close to her chest. She knew that Sara would get her talking.

~#~
“So, how prepared are you and Sergio for peanut’s arrival?” Sara posed as she sipped on her glass of water, her eyes settled on Cassie who sat opposite her, pushing the last of her food around her plate. She had been quiet, since Sara had shown up at her door, Cassie had barely spoken two words that weren’t prompted by Sara’s questions, and whilst it irked Sara slightly, she knew better than to push, knowing that the more she pushed, the most Cassie would clam up.

Cassie, who’d been quietly finishing her meal, lifted her head slightly at the sound of Sara’s voice before she shrugged. “I think we’re about as prepared as we can be” she mused softly “I mean, we’ve finished the nurseries and we’ve bought all of the essentials, but we’ve still got a couple of things to figure out. We’ve not come up with a name for him yet” she babbled softly, her fingers fiddling with the fork which sat on her plate.

Sara watched the movement of her fingers for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a sigh falling out of her mouth. “Are you going to tell me what is on your mind or am I going to have guess?” she posed softly.

“Sara…”

“Don’t say it is nothing, Cassie” Sara interrupted softly “I’ve known you too long to buy that. So, what is going on?” she posed, her voice softening slightly.

Cassie spared her a soft look, briefly contemplating denying that there was anything on her mind, before she shook her head, a gentle sigh falling out of her mouth. “Sergio…Sergio asked me to move in with him” she babbled softly.

Sara tilted her head. “He did?” she asked.

Cassie spared her a slightly anxious look before she nodded her head gently. “I was at his place the other day, just before he left for pre-season, and I was complaining about running out of clean clothes and then he just…he just came out with it and now…now I am not quite sure what to say to him” she stumbled out, her voice soft and anxious.

Sara blinked a couple of times, trying to wrap her head around Cassie’s words, before she shook her head, a small smile appearing on her face. “I can’t say that I am surprised” she mused.

Cassie frowned. “What?” she posed.

Sara let out a soft laugh before she shook her head, her hand lightly patting Cassie’s which sat on the table ahead of her. “He’s crazy about you, Cassie” she noted softly “Both you and the idea of welcoming little peanut into the equation, and I can’t say that I’m surprised that he’s asked you what he’s asked you. I think he’s been waiting to do it for a little while” she enthused warmly.

Cassie shook her head. “We’ve been dating for a few months” she countered “I mean, I know that we’ve got peanut on the way, but we have only been together properly for a couple of months. You don’t think that this might be too much too soon?” she posed gently, a small anxious frown pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Sara admired the expression her friend wore for a moment before she shook her head. “I think it would be a good step for the two of you to take right now” she mused gently “I mean, you’re right, it is a lot to put on your relationship after only a couple of months and just before peanut makes his first appearance, but I think it makes sense for the two of you. You’re in love with him, Cass, it’s all over your face whenever you talk about him, and Iker says that Sergio is just the same when it comes to you. It’s a good thing” she insisted, her voice warm and encouraging. She knew that Cassie was nervous about the idea, just one look at her face confided it, but Sara wanted to encourage her slightly, even if it was still early days between her and Sergio, the two of them appeared to be onto a good thing.

Cassie mulled her words over quietly for a moment before she shook her head. “It’s a big risk to be taking right now, Sara” she murmured softly “I mean, neither of us is sure how things will be when the baby comes, and it’s a huge risk to be taking right now, isn’t it?” she babbled softly.

Sara nodded. “It is” she agreed “But you don’t get anywhere unless you take a risk from time to time and I don’t think that you’d regret taking a risk on Sergio. You can take the risk, hope it works out and that you two get your happy ending, or you can shy away from it and cause the problem for you and Sergio right now, the call is up to you, Cassie” she mused softly before she pushed herself up to her feet, musing about visiting the bathroom before they paid the bill.

Cassie watched her go quietly before she shook her head, her mind whirring the words that Sara had spoken.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)