Somebody Like Me

Four: Take A Minute

“How long does it say you have to wait?”

Cassie, who’d moved to place the two pregnancy tests down on the top of her dresser, jumped a little at the sound of Mia’s voice before she turned her head, offering a soft look towards her friend who sat at the foot of her bed, a slightly curious expression fixed on her features. It had been quiet, after Cassie had admitted that there was a chance that she was pregnant, neither she nor Mia had quite know what to say, but Cassie was still glad that Mia was with her, even if the atmosphere in her apartment did feel a little awkward. She was glad that she had Mia there for support.

“Three minutes” Cassie replied, sitting down beside her.

Mia spared her a soft look before she shook her head. “How long?” she posed softly.

Cassie, who’d moved to rest her head back against the mattress, quirked an eyebrow. “How long what?” she posed.

“How long have you been feeling nauseous?” Mia quipped “I mean, is there any chance that, if you are pregnant, it is Hector’s?” she added, her voice soft.

Cassie frowned a little at the mention of her ex boyfriend’s name before she shook her head. “I’ve not felt myself for a couple of weeks” she mused softly “But I am pretty confident that it is not Hector’s. It’s been almost 5 months since we broke up and I think I would notice if I were that far along, don’t you?” she posed, offering her friend a slightly playful look.

Mia spared a quiet giggle before she nodded. “I just thought I would check” she mused with a small kind smile.

Cassie returned her smile half-heartedly before she closed her eyes, allowing a soft silence to settle over the two of them.

Mia watched her friend for a couple of seconds before she shook her head. “The padre is your sort of boyfriend then?” she quipped, breaking the silence which had settled over the two of them.

Cassie blinked a little, slightly surprised by the sound of her friend’s voice, before she sat up a little, offering Mia a look which made the blonde woman sigh. “I know that you don’t want to talk about him, Cassie” she noted softly “And after the way things ended between you and Hector, I don’t blame you for wanting to keep your cards close to your chest about this, but there is a chance that you’re expecting his baby, Cassie” she pointed out. She knew that it was still a sore point, after the way things had fallen apart between her and Hector, Mia didn’t blame Cassie for being a little shy when it came to her relationship, but still she wanted to encourage her friend to open up a little, wanting to offer her a little comfort.

Cassie allowed Mia’s words to hang in the air for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, her eyes settling on her hand which fiddled with the bedspread ahead of her. “His name is Sergio” she noted softly “We’ve been seeing one another for about 3 months” she added quietly.

Mia nodded her head softly. “He’s the padre?” she posed.

Cassie rolled her eyes a little, sparing Mia a pointed look which made the blonde nod.

“Of course he is” Mia noted softly “You know that you’ll have to talk to him, don’t you?” she added.

“I do” Cassie replied “But I think I know how that goes. Neither one of us was looking for something serious, Mia, we were both looking for something easy and me falling pregnant…I think we both know how that ends” she added, a frown tugging at the corner of her mouth as she pulled at the bedspread. It was what they had agreed, with both of them reeling from breakups, neither she nor Sergio had been looking for a new, serious relationship, and whilst Cassie was happy with the way things were between them, she knew what would happened if she was pregnant.

Mia spared her friend another soft look before she spared a brief glance down towards her watch. “Cassie?” she prodded.

Cassie, who’d been quietly pulling at the duvet, offered her a wordless nod before she quietly pushed herself up to her feet, her eyes settled on the two pregnancy tests which sat on the top of her dresser. Taking a soft breath in, she briefly contemplated simply throwing the tests away before she stepped towards the dresser, gently gathering the tests into her hands. Hesitating for a second, she glanced down at the tests before she quietly flipped them over in her hand, her green eyes surveying the results.

“Well?”

Cassie, who’d been busy studying the results of the two tests, blinked a couple of times at the sound of Mia’s voice before she lifted her head. “I…I’m pregnant” she spluttered, the awe in her voice clear to hear.

Mia blinked a couple of times, caught off guard by her friend’s words before she pushed herself up to her feet. “Cassie” she breathed, her hand gently nudging the brunette’s shoulder.

Cassie sniffled a little, something which caused Mia to gentle rest her hand on her shoulder, turning her body so that she could pull her into a soft hug. Cassie jumped a little, not quite expecting the hug, before she wrapped her arms around Mia’s waist, another soft sniffle falling out of her mouth.

Mia held onto her for a couple of seconds before she ducked back, gently pushing some of Cassie’s damp dark hair off of her face. “Do you need me to get you anything?” she posed softly.

Cassie wiped her eyes a little before she shook her head. “No” she breathed softly “I’m alright” she added quietly.

Mia offered her a soft look before she gently reached her hand out, offering Cassie’s elbow a soft squeeze. “I’m going to go and find some takeout menus and then set up a film in the living room. Why don’t you take a couple of minutes and come through when you feel ready?” she posed, her voice gentle and kind. She could see that Cassie was shocked, from the moment the word ‘pregnant’ had fallen out of her mouth, she had looked nothing short of awed, and Mia wanted to encourage her to take a second, wanting her to allow the news to settle in.

Cassie blinked a couple of times, allowing Mia’s words to hang around her, before she nodded her head, something which caused Mia to offer her a light smile before she ducked out of the room. Cassie watched her for a couple of seconds before she quietly sat down on the end of her bed, her mind whirring with the idea that she was expecting a baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)