Somebody Like Me

Forty Two: Make The Most Of It

Carefully leaning forwards in his seat, Sergio pushed a hand back through his hair, his dark eyes not shifting away from Noah who was quietly sleeping in the bassinette which sat ahead of him, his tiny chest rising and falling rhythmically. It had been a little while, after Cassie had given birth to Noah, the small private hospital room had been a hive of activity, but with the little boy’s checks completed, the little family had been left alone for a while, something which had led to Sergio sitting beside the bed, his eyes not daring to move away from the newborn.

It felt surreal, the idea that Noah had finally arrived felt more than a little strange, but Sergio was confident that they would get used to it, even if it did then a little time. He was sure that he and Cassie would learn to cope with Noah being around.

Allowing a soft yawn to fall out of his mouth, he carefully brushed his fingertips through the soft tufts of coppery brown hair which sat on Noah’s head before he carefully ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of his head. Noah stirred a little, his eyes briefly opening, before he fell back to sleep, something which caused Sergio to grin down at him, more than slightly in awe.

“Have you actually stopped staring at him yet?”

Sergio, who’d moved to smooth out the sleepsuit that Noah wore, quirked a soft smile at the sound of Cassie’s voice before he carefully sat up, his dark eyes peeking towards where she sat on the bed, a sleepy smile perched on her lips. “I have done” he quipped “I ducked out about half an hour ago to call our parents, but I wasn’t gone for long and Elsa was here with him. How are you feeling?” he posed softly.

Cassie, who’d sat up a little, shrugged her shoulders softly. “Tired” she quipped “And sore, but it’s nothing I can’t handle” she added, offering him a soft smile.

Sergio snorted. “That’s not what you were saying when you were in labour” he quipped “I believe your exact words were ‘you’re not getting near me for the foreseeable future’” he added, offering her an impish smile.

Cassie rolled her eyes. “Can you blame me?” she countered “I was in the middle of pushing our son into the world. Excuse me for not being the most polite” she added with a playful smirk.

Sergio spared a small laugh before he pushed himself up to his feet, moving to settle down on the bed beside her. “Our son” he repeated softly “That’s a strange thought, isn’t it?” he added, his dark eyes peeking down towards their hands as he moved to knot their fingers together.

Cassie watched movement of his fingers for a brief moment before she quirked a small smile, nodding her head softly. “It does sound a little strange” she mumbled “But I sort of like it. That’s our little boy” she added, her green eyes briefly meeting his darker ones before they flicked down towards Noah.

Sergio followed the line of her stare before he gently leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. Cassie jumped, not quite expecting the soft kiss, but she quickly warmed to it, something which caused Sergio to smile gently before he ducked back slightly, his forehead gently resting against hers. “You have no idea how proud I am of you” he fussed quietly, his fingertips lightly brushing a couple of loose dark hairs off of her cheek “You did so amazingly well, nena” he added, the pad of his thumb gently tracing over her cheekbone

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little at the compliment before she ducked her head, something which made Sergio’s smile widen a little before he pressed a soft kiss against the reddened skin. “I love you, Cassie” he mused quietly.

Cassie allowed the words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she quirked a soft smile, briefly pecking his lips. “I love you too, Sergio” she fussed softly, her fingers lightly straightening out the collar of the shirt he wore.

Sergio leant into her, preparing to steal another soft kiss, before the sound of Noah’s cries filled the air, causing him to duck back slightly. “I think someone might want the attention of his madre” he mused playfully as he carefully leant over, lifting Noah up into his arms.

Cassie rolled her eyes gently before she leant towards him, lifting Noah from his arms into hers before she moved to feed him.

Sergio, who’d moved back into his seat beside the bed, marveled at the sight of his girlfriend and their newborn son before he quirked a small smile. He knew that it was going to take a little getting used to, the idea that he and Cassie had a baby wasn’t one which was going to settle in quickly, but he already knew that he wouldn’t have changed it, even if Cassie’s pregnancy had come out of nowhere, he loved the idea that they were a family of three.

“Did Elsa mention when she was going to come by and check on us?”

Sergio, who’d drifted off slightly, blinked a couple of times before he lifted his head. “Huh?” he spluttered.

“Elsa” Cassie repeated “You know, our midwife. Did she mention when she was going to come by and check me and Noah over?” she posed, looking towards him slightly.

Sergio nodded his head. “She mentioned something about popping by in a little while” he mused “But she seemed pretty happy with how things were going when she was here. She said that they’ll likely discharge you first thing in the morning” he added, his fingertips lightly straightening out the tufts of hair on Noah’s head.

Cassie watched the small careful movement of his hand before she shook her head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You know, I don’t think you’ve stopped smiling since we were left alone” she fussed quietly, not wanting to disturb the bubble which had settled around them.

Sergio shrugged his shoulders lightly. “I am pretty happy” he mused softly “I mean, I know that you getting pregnant came along out of the blue, but I think that it has worked out pretty well. We made a pretty cute baby, Cass, and I kind of like the idea of it being the three of us” he added, offering her a soft smile.

Cassie admired his warm smile for a brief movement before she gently took a hold of his hand, offering it a light squeeze. “You should make the most of it just being the three of us” she mused softly “Because once we get home, there are going to be a lot of people that want to make a fuss of him” she added, her green eyes peeking down towards Noah who let out a soft snuffle.

Sergio marveled at the soft sound before he carefully leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against both Noah and Cassie’s heads. He knew that people would want to make a fuss of the new arrival, for a while, a lot of people had been looking forwards to meeting him, but Sergio was keen to make the most of the time they had alone, wanting to enjoy spending time with his little family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)