Somebody Like Me

Five: I Can’t Find The Words

“Are you joining us for dinner, captain?”

Sergio, who’d been lacing up his shoes, jumped at the sound of Cristiano’s voice before he lifted his head, offering the midfielder a look. It was late, after the team’s win against Granada, it was nearing ten at night, but still Sergio intended on heading over to visit Cassie, even if it was late. A small part of him was looking forwards to seeing the brunette again.

“I have other plans” Sergio replied as he pushed himself up, moving to wrap his jacket around his shoulders.

Cristiano, who was leant against the locker beside the defender’s lifted an eyebrow, a slight frown pulling at the corner of his mouth. “Other plans?” he quipped “I thought you and Pilar broke up” he added gently. It wasn’t something the defender talked about, aside from mentioning the break up when it had happened, Sergio hadn’t said much about it, and it left Cristiano, and a few of the others slightly curious about it, something which was only increased by the idea that Sergio had other plans for the night, something which wasn’t very like him.

Sergio, who’d been scanning the message which filled the screen of his phone, frowned a little at the mention of his ex’s name, before he shook his head. “We did” he confirmed “But I still have other plans” he added, lifting his bag onto his shoulder.

“With a girl?” Cristiano posed, a slight smirk on his face.

Sergio rolled his eyes playfully before he tapped the side of his nose, something which made Cristiano chuckle before he patted his captain’s shoulder. “Buenos noches, Sergio” he quipped playfully as he padded back towards his own locker.

Sergio watched him go for a couple of seconds before he flicked his attention down towards his phone, his dark eyes surveying the message from Cassie which filled the screen. It was short, her message only consisted of a few words, but still it made him a little curious. The phrase ‘we need to talk’ was vague, it left a lot open to interpretation, and it worried Sergio a little, even if there was no way of judging what she meant just from the words on the screen, he doubt that the talk that they needed to have was a good one.

Sending a quick message to her in return, he ensured that he had everything before he moved to leave the changing room, a slight knot twitching in the pit of his stomach.

~#~
Pulling her dark hair into a loose knot, Cassie took in a deep breath, her ears doused by the sound of the doorbell which filled the air of the apartment. It was late, usually too late for her, but with Sergio due to pay her a visit, she had opted to stay up later, wanting to tell him about her pregnancy sooner rather than later.

It had been a couple of days, after she had received the positive pregnancy test result, she had taken a few days to wrap her head around the idea that she was expecting a baby, but after a visit to her doctor which had confirmed she was expecting, she knew that she couldn’t avoid telling Sergio, even if she was worried about the way he would react. She knew that it wasn’t something that she could hide.

Ensuring that her hair was pulled out of her eyes, she took in another soft breath before she pulled the door open, her green eyes settling on Sergio who stood on the other side, his usual warm smile perched on his face. “Sergio” she breathed softly “I…It’s late” she babbled, her eyes moving to land on her feet nervously.

“It is” Sergio agreed with a slight nod “But you told me that we needed to talk and that sounded pretty serious, so I came over. Do you think I could come inside?” he asked, offering her a slightly amused look.

Cassie blinked a couple times before she stepped out of the doorway, allowing him to step into the apartment.

Sergio knocked the door closed behind before he took a couple of steps towards her, his hand gently cupping her cheek before he tilted her head, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her lips.

Cassie stilled, caught off guard by the soft kiss, before she ducked back slightly, something which caused Sergio to frown before he took a step back, his dark eyes not missing the expression that she wore. “Cassie?” he posed “Hermosa, what is wrong?” he added, his tone soft and curious.

Cassie took in another deep breath before she shook her head, her eyes not even attempting to meet his.

Sergio’s frown deepened a little before he closed the gap, his hand gently cupping her cheek once more. “Cassie, come on” he mumbled softly “What’s up?” he added, gently tucking some of the dark hair off of her face. He could see that she was nervous, from the second that she had opened the door, she had looked more than slightly uncertain, and he wanted to encourage her to talk to him. There was clearly something on her mind and he wanted to know what it was. He wanted to try and make it better.

Cassie spared him a soft look before she shook her head. “I…I need to tell you something” she murmured softly “And I’d appreciate it if you let me get through it before you said anything OK?” she added gently.

Sergio offered her a slightly odd look before he nodded. “Alright” he agreed softly.

Cassie spared him another soft glance before she ducked away from him slightly, her green eyes settling on her feet as she tried to come up with the words she wanted to say.

Sergio watched her for a brief second before he shook his head. “Are you done with us?” he prodded, his voice slightly frustrated “Is that what you’re trying to say? Because if it is…”

“It’s not” Cassie interjected “I…I am not trying to say that. I just…I can’t seem to find the words” she babbled, her cheeks flushing slightly. She had spent a lot of time thinking about it, what she wanted to say to him, but with him stood ahead of her, her words had deserted her, something which had left her struggling.

Sergio shook his head a little before he stepped towards her, knotting their fingers together. “You can say anything to me, Cass” he mused softly “I mean, I know that what we have is pretty…relaxed, but if you have something to say, you shouldn’t be afraid of saying it to me” he added, squeezing her hands comfortingly.

Cassie spared a brief look down towards their hands before she mumbled something that Sergio didn’t quite hear.

“What was that?” he quipped, a nervy smile on his face.

“I said that I haven’t been feeling myself” Cassie repeated quietly, her eyes not shifting away from their hands “For a couple of weeks, I’ve been feeling a little unwell and now I know why that is. Sergio, what I’m trying to tell you is that…is that I am pregnant” she added, squeezing her eyes shut as the words filled the air around them.

Sergio, who’d been messing with her fingers comfortingly, stilled at her words. “Pregnant?” he spluttered “You…you’re pregnant?” he added.

Cassie swallowed a little before she nodded her head, something which made Sergio blink a couple of times before he lowered his stare, offering a glance towards the front of her shirt as the word ‘pregnant’ replayed itself over and over again in his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)