Somebody Like Me

Fifty Two: When The Time Comes

Stretching her legs out a little, Cassie allowed her green eyes to flicker open, her face warmed by the soft winter sunshine which seeped through the part-closed curtains. It was still early, one sleepy look around the room confided that it, but Cassie didn’t want to move, even if she knew that it was only a matter of time before Noah started to stir, she wanted to enjoy the opportunity to lay in for a few extra minutes.

It had been a little while, after she had spent the day with Mia and Sara, a couple of weeks had passed, and with the winter break having arrived, Sergio and Cassie had travelled to Seville for the holidays, something which made her slightly apprehensive, even if Sergio had been quick to reassure her that his parents loved her, she was still a little nervous about the prospect of spending time with them.

Allowing a soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, she gently snuggled a little closer to her pillow before she squeeze her eyes shut, relishing the quiet which filled the bedroom before the sound of the door being open reached her ears, causing her to let out a muted groan before she tossed onto her back, her green eyes glaring up at Sergio who stood in the door way, an impish grin on his face. “Someone looks a little grumpy” he teased brightly.

Cassie simply offered him another glare, something which caused Sergio to chuckle softly before he padded into the room, settling down on the side of the bed. “I didn’t mean to disturb you” he mused softly “Noah’s just gone back to sleep and we’ve still got a little while before we’re due at my parents. I figured I could come back in here and lay in for a little while with my favourite girl” he added warmly, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers which sat on the top of the duvet, pulling at a loose thread which poked out of the cover.

Cassie tried to keep the glare on her face, but failed as her cheeks tinted a soft shade of pink, something which made Sergio’s smile widen a fraction before he leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. Cassie startled slightly, not anticipating the soft kiss, before she leant into him slightly, her fingertips brushing through his dark hair slightly.

Sergio smiled a little at the feel of her fingers before he ducked back slightly, his forehead resting against hers. “Feliz Navidad, Cass” he murmured softly. It felt slightly strange to him, the idea that he and Cassie were about to celebrate their first Christmas as a couple, as well as Noah’s first Christmas, but Sergio had to admit that he was a little excited, even if he was confident that Noah wouldn’t remember it. It was another milestone in the little boy’s life and Sergio wanted to enjoy it.

Cassie smiled a little at his words before she ducked into him, sneaking a couple more light kisses. “Feliz Navidad, Sese” she mused between soft and innocent kisses.

Sergio grinned into the kiss softly before he carefully guided her backwards, helping her to settle down against the mattress before he slipped a hand beneath the material of her t-shirt, brushing it against the warm skin. Cassie jumped, flinching a little at the feel of his cool hand against her stomach, before she cocked an eyebrow. “I thought you wanted to get some more sleep?” she quipped, a small smirk on her lips.

Sergio shrugged. “I think I have a better idea” he quipped impishly before he leant into her once more, something which made Cassie giggle softly. She knew that it was still relatively early, although they had Noah, she and Sergio had only been together for a matter of months, but she had to admit that a small part of her was thinking ahead, even if she did want to put off planning for the future for a while. She knew that she wanted to keep Sergio around for a while to come.

~#~
Sparing a small glance into the room which stood ahead of him, Sergio spared a small sigh, his dark eyes settled on Alonso who sat in the kitchen, babbling happily to Noah who sat in his arms. It had been a good day, even despite Cassie’s nervousness, things seemed to have gone to plan, and Sergio had to admit that he was relieved, even if he had been confident that his family would be nothing short of welcoming towards Cassie, he was pleased to see her, and Noah, looking like they were enjoying themselves.

Offering another glance into the kitchen, he swallowed a little before he gently pushed a hand back through his hair, wordlessly trying to will himself to step over the threshold. He knew why he was so nervous, the prospect of asking Alonso for his blessing to ask Cassie to marry him marked a huge step in their relationship, but still he was a little irked that he was so nervous. He knew that it was soon, he and Cassie had only been dating for a few months, but still he wanted to ask, even if it would be a while before he found himself getting down on one knee, he wanted Alonso to know that he intended to ask eventually.

“You know, you can come in here”

Sergio, who’d been trying to work up the courage to move into the kitchen, jumped at the sound of Alonso’s voice before he lifted his head, offering a shy smile towards the older man. “I do know that” he mumbled, stepping into the room.

Alonso, who was sat beside the kitchen table, lifted an eyebrow at the slightly nervous tone of the younger man’s voice, but didn’t comment on it, instead opting to offer him a small smile. “You know, I want to say thanks” he mused softly “For you, and your parents, inviting me today. I mean, I know that Noah’s hardly going to remember it, but I wanted to be a part of his first Christmas and I’m grateful that you invited me” he added warmly.

Sergio, who’d moved to sit in the chair beside him, simply nodded his head quietly.

Alonso watched the younger man for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a small laugh falling out of his mouth. “Just say it, Sergio” he quipped amusedly. He knew what was coming, since he had arrived that morning, Sergio had seemingly been waiting for an opportunity to get him alone, and he wanted to encourage the younger man, even if he was a little surprised, he wanted Sergio to get the words out.

Sergio, who’d been trying to figure out what he wanted to say, blinked a couple of times before he tilted his head. “What?” he spluttered.

Alonso shook his head. “I think I know what you’re going to say, Sergio” he mused softly “And I think you should just say it” he added, his voice warm and encouraging.

Sergio offered him a soft look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before he nodded his head. “I know that it is soon” he mused softly, his dark eyes purposefully looking anywhere but at the older man “I mean, Cassie and I…we’ve not quite been together for a year yet, but I was hoping that you’d not object to me, eventually, asking her to marry me. I know it is old fashioned, but I think Cassie would prefer me to have asked so I figured that I would whilst you were around” he babbled softly.

Alonso watched him for a moment, smiling a little at how nervous he looked, before he shook his head. “I don’t have any objection, Sergio” he noted gently “Cassandra seems more than happy with you and as long as that remains the case, I’d be more than happy to offer you my blessing, but you said it yourself, Sergio, it’s still very early and I think…”

“I am not going to ask her soon” Sergio interrupted softly “I know Cassie and I know if I asked her right now, she’d babble out something about it being too quick before she told me no, but I wanted to ask you anyway. I love your daughter, Alonso, I love the little family we’ve put together, and I am pretty confident that, when the time is right, this is something I want to do with Cassie” he added, his voice slightly more assured.

Alonso was quiet for a couple of seconds, briefly mulling over Sergio’s words, before he quirked a small smile. “You love her?” he posed.

“I do” Sergio confirmed without hesitation.

Alonso nodded his head. “She loves you too” he mused gently, earning a small smile on Sergio’s face.

Admiring the look the younger man wore, he let out a slightly amused chuckle before he shook his head. “Hold off for a while, don’t push Cassandra into another step so soon, but when the right moment comes, ask her. I think she’d be happy if you did” he enthused brightly before he pushed himself up to his feet, gently settling Noah into Sergio’s arms before he ducked out of the room.

Sergio watched after him for a couple of seconds, his mind replaying his words, before he quirked a small smile, his attention settling on Noah who stirred sleepily in his arms. He knew that waiting was the right thing, when it came to moving forwards in their relationship, Cassie tended to be more than slightly hesitant, but still he was pleased by Alonso’s reception, even if it would be a while before he proposed. He was relieved that Alonso seemed to have warmed to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)