Somebody Like Me

Fifty Five: I Hoped I Would Bump Into You

“What are you doing here, Javier? I thought you were still out in Paris?” Cassie squeaked as she pulled away from the tall dark haired man, her green eyes scanning his face enthusiastically. It had been a while, with Javier having moved out of Madrid for work, it’d been over a year since she had last seen him, but she was thrilled to see him, even if his appearance had caught her more than slightly off guard. She was more than happy to see her best friend again.

Javier, who’d taken a couple of paces back from Cassie, quirked a small smile before he offered her a shrug. “I’ve moved back to a paper in Madrid” he mused softly “I’ve been back for a few weeks now, but I was hoping that I would bump into to you eventually. It’s been too long, Cass” he added, pulling her into another soft hug. Cassie squeaked a little, slightly surprised by the sudden hug, but she warmed to it quickly, hugging him tightly for a few seconds before the sound of Sergio clearing his throat reached her ears, causing her to duck back slightly, her green eyes settling on her boyfriend who wore an expression that she couldn’t quite place.

“Aren’t you going to introduce us, Cassie?” Sergio prodded, trying to keep his slight annoyance out of his voice. It irked him, watching Cassie hug a man that he didn’t know annoyed him a little, but he didn’t want to let on to her, not before he knew what was going on.

Cassie tilted her head a little, not missing the slight edge in Sergio’s voice, before she nodded her head. “Of course” she mused softly “Javier, this is Sergio, my boyfriend, and Noah, our son. Sergio, this is Javier, a friend of mine. We were at university together and worked together for a few years before Javi left to work in Paris” she added brightly as she stepped back towards Sergio slightly, Javier following after her.

Sergio eyed the other man, not missing just how handsome he was, before he carefully adjusted Noah, allowing him to offer a hand out towards Javier. “It’s nice to meet you, Javier” he noted politely.

Javier quirked a small grin before he placed his hand in Sergio’s, offering it a brief shake. “It’s good to meet you too, Sergio” he mused gently “And this little one too. I’d heard that you’d had a baby, Cass. How old is he now” he added, turning his attention towards Cassie once more.

Cassie, who’d moved to lift Noah out of Sergio’s arms, offered Javier another soft smile. “He’s almost 5 months old now” she mused gently, her fingers lightly straightening out Noah’s coppery brown hair.

Javier watched her for a couple of seconds, a smile on his face, before he nodded his head a little. “He’s adorable, Cassie” he mused warmly “He’s certainly a nice blend between the two of you” he added brightly as he stepped towards Cassie slightly, his blue eyes settling on Noah who stirred fussily in her arms.

Sergio watched him for a couple of seconds, not liking how close he stood to Cassie, before he shook his head. “I thought we were heading out, Cass?” he posed gently “I think Noah would like to get some sleep some time soon” he added, offering a small smile towards the little boy who sat in his mother’s arms, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

Cassie, who’d been talking quietly with Javier, jumped a little at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she nodded her head, offering him a small smile before she turned back towards Javier. “I think that Sergio’s probably right” she mused softly “Someone is a little sleepy and that means we ought to get out of here. It was nice to see you, Javi” she added warmly.

“It was really good to see you too, Cassie” Javier replied “I can’t believe that it’s been over a year since I saw my best friend” he added, shaking his head a little as he spared a small bashful laugh.

“Me neither” Cassie agreed with a bright smile “But let’s not leave it a year this time, eh? You’re back living in Madrid?” she added, adjusting Noah slightly in her arms as the little boy let out a soft snuffle.

“I am” Javier confirmed “I’ve been back for a few weeks” he added.

“Then we should set something up” Cassie noted softly “It’d be nice for us to catch up” she added.

“I’d love that, Cassie” Javier enthused brightly.

“We’ll set something up, but right now, I have to get going” Cassie mused softly “I’ll see you soon, Javi?” she posed, her green eyes peeking up at him softly.

Javier nodded his head enthusiastically before he pulled her into a soft hug, holding onto her for a couple of seconds before he pulled back slightly, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek which missed her lips by mere millimeters.

Sergio, who was stood a little away from his girlfriend, tensed at the sight of the kiss before he shook his head, a small irked frown pulling at the corner of his mouth. It annoyed him, the sight of Javier and Cassie was one which played on his nerves, but he knew that he had to keep himself in check, even if he did get the feeling that Javier liked his girlfriend more than he was letting on, he knew that Cassie didn’t have a mildly malicious bone in her body and didn’t need him acting irrationally just because he felt slightly protective.

“I’ll see you around, Sergio”

Sergio, who’d drifted off slightly, jumped a little at the sound Javier’s voice before he nodded his head, offering the other man the best smile he could muster. “Adios, Javier” he mused politely.

Javier flashed the defender a grin before he padded away, allowing Cassie to pad back towards Sergio, a soft expression perched on her face. “Are you ready to get out of here?” she posed softly.

Sergio was quiet for a moment before he nodded his head, offering her a gentle smile. “Of course” he noted gently “I think somebody might need to get to bed sooner rather than later” he added, his finger lightly tickling Noah’s foot.

Cassie offered him a small smile before she moved to place a gentle kiss against his cheek, something which caused Sergio to close his eyes softly, trying to shift the slightly uncomfortable feeling which twitched in the pit of his stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)