Somebody Like Me

Fifty Six: I Had My Chance With Her

Folding his arms over his chest, Sergio leant against the door frame which led into the kitchen, his dark eyes watching as Cassie padded around the kitchen, preparing dinner. It had been a while, after they’d bumped into Javier, a week had passed, but with the other man having a day off work, Cassie had been quick to invite him to dinner, something which unsettled Sergio a little.

He knew that Cassie had missed Javier, since they’d bumped into one another, she had talked about him a lot, and it irked Sergio a little, even if he knew that Cassie’s feeling lied with him, he didn’t quite know what to make of the other man.

“Are you sure that you’re alright with Javi coming over?”

Sergio, who’d drifted off slightly, startled a little at the sound of Cassie’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a small look. “Why wouldn’t I be alright with it?” he posed gently.

Cassie, who’d stepped towards him slightly, shrugged slightly before she wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him close. “I don’t know” she mused softly “But I thought I would ask. You didn’t seem overly keen on Javi when we bumped into him the other day” she added, her fingers lightly playing with a few of the longer strands of dark hair at the back of his neck. It had been subtle, the sense of Sergio not being keen on Javier had only been slight, but still Cassie had noticed it, even if Sergio had tried to hide it. The forced smile on his face had made it more than clear.

Sergio, who’d closed his eyes at the feeling of her fingertips, was quiet for a second before he shook his head, his dark eyes opening to mirror her greens. “I’m being silly” he murmured softly “I mean, I didn’t even know about Javi before the other day and the idea of him suddenly becoming a big part of your life again…it’s a little odd for me.” he added, his voice soft and uncertain.

Cassie noticed the soft tone of his voice before she carefully moved one of her hands, gently pushing the dark hair off of his forehead. “If it makes you uncomfortable, we can postpone” she mused softly “I mean, I know that Javi’s looking forwards to the chance to get to know you, but if you’re not comfortable with this, then we can put it off for a little while. The last thing I want to do is make you comfortable, Sese” she fussed softly.

She knew where he was coming from, the idea of Javier suddenly appearing in her life must have caught him off guard, and she wanted to try and make him as comfortable as she could, not wanting to cause a problem between the two of them.

Sergio admired the soft look she wore on her features, briefly contemplating her offer, before he shook his head. “It’s fine” he mused softly “I know that you’re looking forwards to it and I should probably make the effort with Javier. He’s a big part of your life, no?” he posed gently.

Cassie nodded her head. “He is” she mused softly “But you’re a bigger part and if you want to put it off…”

“I don’t, Cass” Sergio interrupted softly “I’d tell you if I did” he added, offering her a small smile.

Cassie offered him a dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was certain, before she carefully ducked forwards, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Sergio smiled into the contact, holding onto her for a couple of seconds before the sound of the doorbell, swiftly followed by Noah’s cries, filled the air, causing the two of them to pull apart. “I’ll get Noah?” Sergio posed, gently running a thumb along Cassie’s cheekbone.

Cassie flashed him a small smile before she ducked into him once more, sneaking another soft kiss before she ducked out of the room to answer the door. Sergio watched her out of the room for a couple of seconds before he quietly shook his head, a nervous sigh falling out of his mouth. He knew that there was no avoiding it, from the way that Cassie and Javier had greeted one another, he doubted that he could avoid spending time with the other man, but still the idea unsettled him, even if he was certain of where Cassie’s feeling laid. He didn’t quite know what he made of Javier.

~#~
“So, how long have you two been together, Cassie?” Javier posed as he moved to settle his cutlery down onto his plate, his blue eyes settling on the brunette who sat across the table from him, mumbling quietly to Sergio who sat at her side, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It had been a quiet night, with a small level of tension evident in the air, there had been more than a couple of awkward silences, but still Javier was enjoying himself, even if Sergio did appear a little wary around him. He was enjoying the opportunity to catch up with his friend.

Cassie, who’d been a little distracted by Sergio, jumped a little at the sound of Javier’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small smile. “It’s not quite been a year yet” she mused softly “But it’s pretty close. Our anniversary is in a few weeks” she added, playfully nudging Sergio’s ribs.

Sergio scoffed a little before he rolled his eyes. “You think I could forget it?” he quipped.

Cassie shrugged. “I don’t know” she mused “But I thought I’d give you a little reminder. You can be a little forgetful something and it’ll give you time to get me a wonderful gift” she added, offering him an impish smile.

“I have to get you a gift?” Sergio quipped, a false tone of surprise in his voice.

Cassie offered him a playful glare before she bumped his shoulder, something which made Sergio laugh a little before he moved to press a soft kiss against her cheek, mumbling quietly in her ear.

Javier, who was sat a little away from the couple, watched the small interactions for a brief moment before he shook his head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. He knew why Sergio was apprehensive around him, the idea of his girlfriend’s best friend showing up out of the blue was almost certain to have knocked him for six, but Javier knew that the defender didn’t have anything to worry about, even if he did have a few lingering romantic feelings towards Cassie. He knew that there was a little chance of her ruining things with a man who seemed to make her happier than Javier had ever seen her.

Quirking a bright smile, he watched Cassie and Sergio for a couple of seconds before the sound of Noah’s cries emanated away from the monitor which sat beside Cassie’s plate, something which caused the couple to pull away from one another. “I think that it is my turn to check on him” Cassie mused softly “Are you two going to be alright for a couple of minutes?” she added, sparing Sergio a soft look.

Sergio hesitated for a second before he nodded his head, offering her a reassuring smile.

Cassie offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she ducked out of the room, something which made Sergio smile a little before the sound of Javier clearing his throat reached his ears, causing him to lift his head, offering a soft look towards the other man.

Javier smiled at the slightly nervous expression on Sergio’s face before he shook his head. “You know, you really don’t have anything to be worried about, Sergio” he mused softly.

Sergio tilted his head. “What?” he posed softly.

“Me and Cassie” Javier replied with a small shrug “It’s not going to happen” he added.

Sergio furrowed his forehead slightly. “Javier…”

“I get it” Javier interrupted softly, a warm smile on his face “I think I would be pretty irked if I was in your shoes, but I just want you to know that you don’t have a thing to be worried about when it comes to me and your girlfriend. We’re friends, Sergio, and that’s all we’re ever going to be. I had my chance with her a long time ago and we both agreed that we were better off as friends. It’s not something which is going to change, Sergio” he added, his voice warm and reassuring.

Sergio was quiet for a second, mulling over the other man’s words, before he shook his head, something which made Javier smile a little. “She’s completely head over heels for you, Sergio, it’s obvious, and I don’t think that there is anyone who could change that. I don’t think I’ve seen her this happy before and that’s obviously thanks to you and Noah” he enthused brightly.

Sergio briefly mulled over his words before he nodded, offering Javier a small shy smile. “I like to think so” he noted gently.

Javier nodded his head. “It is” he confirmed “And I hope you keep it up. After Hector, she deserves something as good as what the two of you seem to have going on here” he added brightly before his voice beeped, causing him to excuse himself from the table.

Sergio watched the other man out of the room before he quirked a small smile, more than a little relieved by Javier’s words.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)