Somebody Like Me

Fifty Eight: If That’s What You Want

“Cass?”

Cassie, who’d been staring quietly down at the floor, blinked a couple of times at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she lifted her head, her green eyes mirroring his darker ones which looked up at her, shining a little with the nervousness which marked his face. it had been a couple of minutes, after the words had fallen out of Sergio’s mouth, the kitchen had fallen into a tense silence, but still Cassie couldn’t seem to force a single sound out of her mouth, even if she did hate the nervousness which was all over Sergio’s face, she couldn’t seem to come up with anything to say to him.

Sergio, who’d pushed himself back up to his feet, admired the tearful expression she wore for a brief second before he shook his head gently. “I need you to say something, Cass” he mumbled softly “I don’t care what it is, I just need you to say something. It’s weird when you’re quiet for this long” he added, a feeble smile passing over his face at his joke.

Cassie sniffled a little, her hand wiping a few loose tears off of her cheek, before she shook her head lightly. “Di…did you just say what I think you said?” she babbled softly, her fingers lightly messing with a few loose curls of dark hair.

Sergio watched the movement of her fingers briefly before he reached his hand out, capturing her hand in his before he pulled it against his lips, allowing him to kiss the warm skin softly. “I asked you to marry me, Cass” he murmured softly “And I know that it is fast, I mean, we’ve only been together for a year, but the timing just seemed right to me. I love you, I love what we’ve got going on here, and I don’t see the harm in thinking about what the next step forwards is for us” he added, pressing another soft kiss against the back of her hand.

He knew that she was surprised, the look on her face when the words had fallen out of his mouth had confided it, but he wanted to reassure her slightly, even if he knew that he had caught her off guard, he wanted her to know that she had no reason to be worried.

Cassie blinked a couple of times, his words whirring around in her head, before she shook her head. “You want to marry me?” she squeaked.

Sergio let out a small laugh. “You know that I do” he replied as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Cassie nodded her head quietly, something which caused Sergio to take a step towards her, his hand gently cupping her cheek before he tilted her head slightly, encouraging her to look up at him. “I am not going to make you give me an answer right now, Cass” he mused softly “I mean, I know you. I know that you like to think about things, sometimes overthink things, and I am not going to push you into an answer right this second, but I do want you to think about it. I know it is fast, but everything about us has been fast, Cassie, and I don’t want you to worry about that” he added, his thumb lightly tracing the line of her jaw.

Cassie leant into his touch slightly, her green eyes closing, before she let out a soft sigh. “You know, you’ve really surprised me this time” she mumbled softly, a faint smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Sergio breathed out a little laugh. “It was sort of my intention” he quipped “It’s a little less romantic if I tell you that I am going to do it” he added, gently pressing a light kiss against her jaw.

Cassie smiled gently at the feel of his lips against her skin before she carefully tilted her head, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re sure about this?” she posed gently, her fingers lightly pushing through his hair “I mean, marriage is a pretty huge step forwards” she added gently.

“It is” Sergio agreed softly “But it make sense to me, Cass. I know what I want, I want us, and I’m sure that this is the right thing to do. Haven’t you given it any thought?” he posed softly, his dark eyes mirroring her greens.

Cassie held his stare for a second before she gently shrugged her shoulders. “A little” she admitted softly “I mean, a few months ago, Sara suggested that you’d told Iker that you were thinking about asking, and it got me thinking, but I didn’t think you’d do it so soon. I…I thought I’d have a little more time to be sure of what I wanted to say” she explained gently, her eyes dropping back down towards the tiled floor.

Sergio watched her for a couple of moments, not missing the shyness on her face, before he dipped down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “I want to marry you, Cassie” he murmured gently “But if you need to take some time to think this through a little more, I’m not going to stop you. I want you to be sure, nena, and if that means that you need a few days to think it through, then so be it. I want you to be 100% certain about what it is you want” he added, his voice warm and encouraging. It hurt him a little, the idea that she seemed so uncertain, but he knew better than to push her. Cassie was stubborn and he was sure that the more he pushed her, the more she would try and pull back.

Cassie blinked a couple of times before she lifted her head, her eyes peeking up towards him shyly. “You’d not mind that?” she posed softly.

Sergio let out a small nervous laugh. “I’d rather you just said yes and kissed me” he joked weakly “But I know you, and I kind of knew that you’d not give me an answer straight away, so I am more than prepared to wait for it, just as long as you promise me that you will give it some thought. Can you promise me that?” he asked as he gently stepped towards her, lightly tucking a couple of strands of dark hair behind her ear.

Cassie offered him a soft look before she nodded her head. “Of course I’ll think about it, Sese” she mused softly “I just… I just need a little time to get my head around it” she added gently.

Sergio nodded his head before he flashed her a small smile, something which Cassie returned softly before she pushed herself up to her feet, mumbling something about it being late and needing to get ready for bed before she stepped out of the room. Sergio watched after her briefly before he quietly shook his head, a light sigh falling out of his mouth. He knew that it wasn’t a no, the idea that Cassie needed a little time to think about his proposal wasn’t necessarily her turning it down, but still it hurt him a little, even if he had half been expecting it. A small part of him had thought that she would give him the answer he had been hoping for.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)