Somebody Like Me

Sixty Four: I Know Things Have Changed

Gently resting his weight against the doorframe, Sergio quirked a small smile, his dark eyes trained on Cassie who stood a little away from him, attempting to place a pair of socks onto Noah’s feet. It had been a calm day, with Sergio due to play for Real Madrid that night, Cassie had been quick to ensure that the day had been quiet and relaxed, and Sergio had enjoyed himself. He liked the way things were, for a while, things between him and Cassie had been more than good, and he wanted them to stay that way, even if they were likely to face a little pressure when they eventually started to plan their wedding, he was more than happy with the way things between them.

“Aren’t you supposed to be leaving?”

Sergio, who’d drifted off a little, blinked a couple of times at the sound of Cassie’s voice before he lifted his head, flashing her a warm smile. “I’ve got a little while yet” he mused “Besides, I thought I would come back up here and get my good luck kiss before I go. You know that I can’t play without it” he added, his voice bright and teasing.

Cassie, who’d moved to lift Noah into her arms, rolled her green eyes before she carefully sat down in the chair beside the crib, trying to soothe the little boy who grumbled softly. “You know how cheesy you are, don’t you?” she quipped, gently smoothing out Noah’s dark hair.

Sergio, who’d moved to step a little deeper into the room, let out a soft laugh before he nodded his head. “I’m aware of it” he mused “But I also know that you love that about me” he added as he moved to settle down on the ground beside the chair, offering his arms out towards Cassie.

Cassie spared him soft look, wordlessly asking if he was sure that he wanted to take the slightly fussy baby, before she gently moved to settle Noah into his arms, allowing the little boy to snuggle happily into his father’s shoulder. “He’s a little grumpy” she mused softly “I think he’s starting to get a little bit of a cold” she added, her fingertips gently smoothing out the little boy’s dark hair.

Sergio nodded his head. “He’s not been his usual cheerful self” he agreed softly “Are you going to duck out of the match?” he posed softly. It had been their plan, with his match following the day after his birthday, Cassie had agreed to go along as a part of her gift to him, but with Noah not feeling well, Sergio wanted to offer her the opportunity to duck out, even if he had been looking forwards to her being at the game. He knew that it was better for Noah if he stayed home.

Cassie tilted her head. “You’d not mind that?” she posed softly.

Sergio shook his head. “Of course not, Cass” he mused softly “Noah’s not feeling well and that means you ought to stay here. There’s still a lot of matches you can make it to before the season ends, but tonight, I think you both ought to stay here” he added, carefully adjusting Noah in his arms.

Cassie offered him a soft look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she flashed him a small smile. “We’ll definitely make it to another match before the season is over” she mused softly “And I’ll put the game on TV tonight” she added as she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to lift Noah up into her arms.

“I know that you will” Sergio mused as he pushed himself up “But right now, I have to get going. I’ll see you later?” he posed gently.

“Of course you will” Cassie mused softly “Good luck tonight, Sese” she added gently before she stepped towards him, sneaking a couple of brisk kisses.

Sergio smiled at the soft contact and held onto her for a couple of seconds longer than she was expecting before he ducked back, pressing a brief kiss to the top of Noah’s head before he moved to step out of the room. Cassie stood, watching him go for a couple of seconds, before she moved to collect Noah’s blanket, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth.

~#~
Resting her head back against the couch, Cassie let out a small relieved sigh, her green eyes peeking towards Noah who was settled on the couch, his soft snuffly snores filling the air. It had taken her a while, with Noah suffering from his first cold, it had been a little more difficult than usual to settle him down, but Cassie was glad that he was finally asleep, even if she doubted that he would sleep for very long, she was just glad that he was getting the rest that he needed.

Ensuring that Noah was comfortable, she watched him sleep for a couple of minutes before she quietly moved to flick on the television, settling on Real Madrid’s match against Alaves. Moving to get a little more comfortable on the couch, she watched the screen quietly for a few minutes before the sound of her phone vibrating against the arm of the couch reached her ears, causing her to startle slightly.

Blinking a couple of times, she checked that Noah was still asleep, before she moved to pick the phone up, her forehead furrowing at the sight of her editor’s name which filled the screen. It wasn’t the first time, since she had ignored his call the previous evening, he had called a couple more times, but still she had avoided picking up, not wanting to ruin the positive atmosphere which had filled the house for the past couple of days. Offering the phone another soft look, she briefly contemplated rejecting the call before she lifted it to her ear, mumbling a soft hello.

“Cassie?” her editor mused “You finally picked up” he added, his voice teasing and warm.

“I’ve been a little busy, Victor” Cassie noted quietly “But you’ve been pretty persistent. You know that I am still on maternity leave, right?” she quipped.

Victor chuckled softly. “Of course I do” he mused “But I do have something that I want to talk to you about” he added.

Cassie tilted her head. “You do?” she posed softly, her fingers messing with the ends of her dark hair.

“I know that it has been a while” Victor mused softly “I mean, you’ve been with Sergio for a year now, but a while ago, you suggested that you’d be open to working abroad and I thought I’d give you the first opportunity on a job that’s just become available. It’s a 6 month placement, in Paris, and I thought I would offer it to you. I know you’ve always wanted to work abroad, Cassie, so I figured I’d give you first refusal” he explained softly.

Cassie blinked, quietly mulling over his words, before she quietly shook her head. “Paris?” she breathed softly “You’re offering me a job in Paris?” she added quietly.

Victor chuckled softly, slightly amused by the surprise in her voice. “I am” he mused “I mean, I know that things have changed a lot for you, but I thought I’d still ask. I don’t need an answer right away, you ought to talk it over with Sergio, but I think you ought to think it over, Cassie. I’ll need an answer by next week” he added gently before he mumbled a soft goodbye, hanging up the phone.

Cassie was quiet for a couple of seconds, his words whirring in her head, before she quietly shook her head, not quite sure how to feel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)