Somebody Like Me

Seventy Three: All I Want For You

“So, what is it that you have planned for us today?” Cassie posed as she stepped into the kitchen, her green eyes settling on her father who sat beside the kitchen table, Noah settled happily in his lap.

It had been a little while, after Sergio had departed to join up with the Spanish squad, a little over a week had passed, and whilst Cassie missed having him around, she had found herself distracted by other things, something which pleased her, even if she did miss cuddling up to Sergio when she fell asleep, she was grateful for the distractions that her caught her attention and pulled it away from missing him too much.

Alonso, who was quietly fussing over Noah, lifted his head, offering her a small smile. “I figured we could take Noah out for a couple of hours” he noted softly “Maybe we could head to the park or something and then go and grab some lunch. It’s been a little while since I spent some time with my favourite daughter and grandson” he quipped, pressing a light kiss to the side of Noah’s head.

It had been impromptu, his arrival in Madrid the day before had caught Cassie slightly by surprise, but she was pleased to see him, even if it had caught her slightly off guard. It had been a little while since she and her father had spent time together.

“I’m your only daughter” Cassie quipped “And Noah is your only grandchild” she added as she stepped towards him, gently lifting Noah into her arms.

“I know that” Alonso mused “That’s why you’re my favourite” he added, offering her an impish smile.

Cassie rolled her eyes gently before she gently shook her head, something which Alonso chuckle before he pushed himself up to his feet. “I’ll go and grab his bag and then we can get out of here” he mused gently “You’re due to call Sergio later, aren’t you?” he posed gently.

Cassie nodded her head. “I am” she confirmed “But it’s not until this evening, so we’ve got time. You said something about buying me lunch?” she added, offering him a playful smile.

Alonso rolled his eyes but spared a small laugh, nodding his head gently before he ducked out of the room, moving to collect Noah’s bag. It had been impromptu, his decision to visit Cassie and Noah had been a spur of the moment one, but he wanted to make the effort to spend more time with his daughter and grandson, even if he did live a while away from them. He wanted to contribute to the big events which were happening in his daughter’s life.

~#~
“So, Cassandra, how is wedding planning coming along?” Alonso posed as he sipped on his glass of water, his eyes settled on Cassie who sat across from him, trying to convince Noah to finish off the last of his lunch.

It had been a pleasant afternoon, after he and Cassie had taken Noah to the park, they’d found a small café for lunch, and Alonso had to admit that he was enjoying himself. He had missed it, with him living away from Cassie, he had missed spending time with her and with Noah, and he was pleased that he had made the trip. He had adored spending a few hours with his daughter and grandson.

Cassie, who’d moved to settle Noah down into his stroller, quirked a small smile at his question before she shrugged her shoulders. “It’s going” she quipped “I mean, it’s still pretty early days, but we’ve got a few things sorted out. We’re making slow and steady progress” she explained gently. It was a work in progress, after she and Sergio had chosen a wedding date, they’d started to sort out a few of the details, but they still had a lot of work to do, something which was a little daunting.

Alonso mulled her words over quietly before he shook his head, a small awed laugh falling out of his mouth. “You know, I still find it pretty strange that you’re talking about getting married” he quipped “I mean, it still seems like yesterday that me and your madre were bringing you home from the hospital, and now look at you” he added, a warm fatherly smile appearing on his face.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she quietly shook her head. “It is pretty strange” she agreed softly, her fingers lightly twisting the engagement ring she wore around.

Alonso watched the small movements of her hands before he gently reached across, squeezing them lightly. “It’s a good kind of strange through, isn’t it?” he posed softly “I mean, you and Sergio, you’ve come a long way very quickly, and I just…I guess I want to make sure that you’re sure” he added, his voice slightly tentative. He didn’t want to cause a problem, whatever happened between Cassie and Sergio was very much between the two of them, but he wanted to ensure that Cassie certain about what she wanted, even if he was fairly confident that she was, he wanted to know that things weren’t moving too quickly for her.

Cassie quietly mulled his words over before she shook her head, her green eyes settled on their hands. “It’s been fast” she agreed softly “But I know what I want, papa, and I am confident that that is Sergio. You’re right, things have moved forwards a lot in a very short time, but I like how thing have worked out and I am sure that I want to take the next step with him. You don’t like Sergio?” she posed, a slightly curious look on her face.

Alonso offered her a glance before he shook his head. “You know that I think he’s a wonderful guy, Cassandra” he mused gently “And, more importantly than that, I think that he has made you very happy, something which means a great deal to me. I was worried, after things ended between you and that idiot of an ex of yours, I was worried that you’d be put off for a while, but then Sergio stumbled into your life and I…I don’t think I’ve seen you happier before. You’re settled, with Sergio and Noah, you’re content, and that’s all I want for you” he added, offering her another warm fatherly smile.

Cassie admired the warm smile her father wore before she shook her head, a small sniffle falling out of her mouth. “Did you want to make me cry?” she teased, wiping her eyes slightly.

Alonso shrugged. “Perhaps” he quipped “But this is nothing. Imagine me when I walk you down that aisle” he added brightly.

Cassie spluttered out a laugh. “You’re going to be a mess” she poked playfully.

“Of course I am” Alonso agreed “I mean, you’re my little girl and now you’re going to get married. It’s a pretty big deal” he added, offering her a small smile.

Cassie wiped her eyes softly before she returned his smile softly, something which made Alonso squeeze her hand lightly. “We’ll both be messes when your day arrives” he mused “I mean, you’ve always been a crier, and I’m not going to hold back, but I am sure that it will be wonderful, Cassandra” he added, his voice warm and reassuring.

Cassie flashed him a warm smile before she gently pushed herself up to her feet, wrapping him in a tight hug that Alonso was more than happy to return. It felt a little strange to him, the idea that Cassie was going to get married was one that he was sure would take a little getting used to, but he had to admit that he was proud, even if things had moved a lot quicker than he had been expecting them to. He was pleased that things were settled for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)