Somebody Like Me

Seventy Six: Worth It

Allowing a soft yawn to tumble out of his mouth, Sergio carefully stretched an arm out of bed, his hand quickly finding the phone which vibrated irritatingly against the wooden nightstand. It was early, from the amount of sunlight which trickled in through the half-closed curtains, Sergio knew that it couldn’t be much later than 7:30, but he knew why his phone was vibrating, even if he was slightly irked that it had disturbed the quiet which filled the bedroom, he knew that it was likely to be a message from Isco asking where he was.

It hadn’t been his plan, when he had arrived to visit Cassie and Noah the afternoon before, he had expected to head back to his own hotel later that night, but when Cassie asked him to stay, he had been able to resist, even if he did run the risk of getting into trouble with his coaches for breaking the team’s curfew, he hadn’t been able to find it in himself to spend the night away from his girlfriend.

Sparing another soft yawn, he briefly scanned over the message that Isco had sent to him before he typed a quick reply, settling the phone back down onto the end table before he turned onto his side, his dark eyes settling on Cassie who was still curled up against her pillow, her soft snores filling the quiet bedroom. Watching her for a second, Sergio quirked a light smile before he leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against her shoulder. “Cassie?” he mumbled softly.

Cassie stirred a little at the feel of the kiss, but didn’t open her eyes, something which made Sergio laugh lightly before he carefully lifted his hand, poking her side lightly. “Come on, nena” he mused softly “If you don’t wake up now, we won’t have time for breakfast before I have to get back” he added, playfully poking her side once more.

Cassie let out a small sound before she carefully tossed onto her side, her sleepy green eyes peeking up at him softly. “What time is it?” she posed softly.

“It’s a little after 7:30” Sergio replied softly “But I’ll have to be back at my hotel by 9:30 so I figured I’d wake you up so that we could order some breakfast before I have to get out here” he added, lightly brushing a few hairs away from her eyes. It felt familiar, waking up beside Cassie was a welcome change to waking up by himself, and he was pleased that he’d opted to stay the night, even if he did run the risk of getting into trouble. He had missed waking up beside her.

Cassie nodded her head sleepily. “That sounds like a plan” she mumbled quietly “The room service menu is on the bedside table” she added before she curled up against her pillow once more, quietly falling back to sleep.

Sergio watched her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. Smiling, he briefly contemplated waking her again, before he quietly shook his head, moving to collect the room service menu before he quietly pushed himself up to his feet. Offering a small look towards the bed, he carefully leant down and pressed a light kiss to the top of Cassie’s head before he ducked out of the room.

~#~
“So, how is planning our wedding coming along?” Sergio posed as he swallowed a mouthful of his juice, his dark eyes settled on Cassie who sat on the couch beside him, pushing the last of her food around her plate. It had been a quiet morning, with Cassie opting to lay in for little longer, things had been calm and settled, and Sergio had to admit that he was enjoying it, even if they had only had the time to order breakfast before he had to leave, he had simply enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with Cassie and Noah.

Cassie, who’d moved to collect her glass from the table, shrugged. “It’s coming along” she noted gently “I mean, since you’ve been out here, I’ve made a few little steps forwards, but you can rest assured, I’ve not made any big decisions. I figured you’d want to be around for that” she added, offering him a small smile.

Sergio, who’d moved to get slightly more comfortable on the couch, quirked an eyebrow. “You want my help?” he posed teasingly, his arm wrapping lightly around her shoulder.

Cassie rolled her eyes gently before she shook her head. “You know that I do” she mused softly “It’s sort of an important day for you too, isn’t it?” she added, peeking up at him softly as she moved to cuddle into his side slightly.

Sergio met the stare of her green eyes before he ducked his head, sneaking a quick kiss before he rested his forehead against hers. “You know that it is, Cass” he mumbled softly “I mean, I know that it is still a little way away, but you ought to know that I am more than looking forwards it, even if it is still a few months away. I can’t wait” he added, his thumb lightly tracing the line of her cheekbone.

Cassie was quiet for a brief moment, allowing his words to hang around them for a few seconds before she carefully leant into him, sneaking a soft kiss. “I can’t wait either” she admitted softly “I mean, I know I’ve never been as sure as you, but I’m pretty confident that I want this. I’m pretty crazy about you” she added, a light grin appearing on her face.

Sergio marveled at the bright smile she wore before he leant into her, kissing her gently for a few seconds. Cassie leant into his touch, her fingers lightly brushing through his dark hair for a few moments before the sound of his phone filled the air, causing her to pull back slightly, a smirk quickly appearing on her face. “I think that that is probably your cue to get going” she mused, smoothing out the hair that she had messed up.

Sergio, who’d moved to pull his phone out of his pocket, shook his head. “It’s Isco” he quipped “He says that he covered for me last night, but if I don’t get back soon, I’m probably going to get caught” he added, typing a quick reply.

Cassie shook her head gently. “I didn’t mean to get you into trouble” she mused softly.

Sergio shook his head. “It’s fine, Cass” he quipped “I mean, they’re not going to be thrilled, but it’s not like I missed anything” he added, offering her a reassuring smile.

Cassie offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before she nodded her head. “You ought to get moving” she noted gently.

“I should go” Sergio agreed “I’m going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days, but I’ll see you after the match won’t I?” he posed as he pushed himself up to his feet, collecting his jacket from the back of the couch.

“Of course” Cassie mused, offering him a small smile.

Sergio returned it before he stepped towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “I’m glad that you’re here, Cassie” he mused softly “I’ve missed you, and Noah, and I am pleased that you’re here, even if you did get me into trouble. It’s worth it” he added, his voice bright and teasing.

Cassie offered him a playful roll of her green eyes before she nudged his shoulder. “Go” she mused.

Sergio flashed her a bright grin before he padded towards the door, ducking out of the room. Cassie watched him for a few seconds before she quietly shook her head, pleased that she and Noah had made the trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, Twisted;;Symphony and FootieJo for the comments :)