Somebody Like Me

Seventy Eight: I’m Glad That You’re Glad

Staring up at the ceiling which sat above his head, Sergio allowed a gentle sigh to fall out of his mouth, disturbing the quiet which had filled the bedroom. It wasn’t early, the fact that Cassie was no longer curled up at his side confided the fact that it was later than usual for him, but still he couldn’t quite encourage himself to get out of bed, even if he knew that he couldn’t lay around and mope all day, he wanted to take a little longer before he climbed out of bed and moved to find Cassie.

Allowing a soft yawn to fall out of his mouth, he carefully tossed onto his side, his dark eyes closing. He knew that there was no changing it, the match the previous night had been and gone, but still he was upset, even if his disappointment couldn’t change the outcome. He was more than irked with the mistake that he had made and the way that the match had ended. Squeezing his eyes closed for a few seconds, he allowed the silence to linger in the air before the sound of muffled voices reached his ears, causing him to sit up slightly as the door to the bedroom open, allowing Cassie to step into the room, Noah babbling happily in her arms.

“You should have woken me” Sergio noted gently.

Cassie, who’d moved to collect a clean set of clothes for Noah from her suitcase, jumped at the sound of Sergio’s voice before she lifted her head, shaking it slightly. “You looked pretty happy when I was last in here” she mused “I mean, you were still contently snoring, and I didn’t want to disturb you. What are you doing up now?” she posed as she stepped towards the bed, gently sitting down at Sergio’s side.

Sergio watched her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head lightly. “I just woke up” he mused softly “And I was just about to get up when you walked in here. It’s late, isn’t it?” he posed, trying to straighten out his hair slightly.

“It’s a little after 10” Cassie mused softly “But I figured that…”

“That I’d not have anywhere else to be?” Sergio interrupted, his tone a little sharp.

Cassie noted the tone of his voice, but opted to ignore it, instead flicking her attention towards Noah who sat in her arms, babbling contently to himself.

Sergio let out a soft sigh at her lack of response before he shook his head. “I’m sorry” he mumbled gently, his hand lightly brushing against her arm.

Cassie offered him a small glance before she shook her head. “How are you feeling?” she posed tentatively. She knew that he was still upset, the small sharp comment had confided it, but she wanted to encourage him to talk to her, even if he didn’t say too much. She wanted him to know that he could talk to her.

Sergio, who’d moved to fuss over Noah, allowed her question to hang around them for a few moments before he shook his head, a small sigh falling out of his mouth. “I messed up, Cass” he mumbled softly “I mean, that tackle…it was a stupid thing to do and by making it, I changed the game. We never stood a chance after that and it was my fault, nena” he added flatly.

Cassie spared him another soft look before she gently settled Noah down onto the bed, affording her the opportunity to shift a little closer to Sergio, her hands taking a hold of his. “It was one second, Sergio” she mused softly “You made a decision, and last night, it didn’t go your way, but that doesn’t change the fact that the team had done so well. That you had done so well” she added, her thumb lightly brushing over the back of his hand.

Sergio watched the small movements of her thumb before he shook his head. “Cassie…”

“You did well, Sese” Cassie interrupted softly “And I know that you don’t believe me when I say it, but it is true. You did so well and I’m so proud of you” she added, a light smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. She knew what he was going to say, the look on his face confided that he didn’t quite believe her words, but she didn’t want to offer him the chance to refute them, even if they were just words. She wanted him to know just how proud she was of the team, and of him.

Sergio offered her another soft look before he shook his head. “You’re not going to let me say anything bad, are you?” he quipped, a half-smile on his face.

Cassie quirked an impish smile before she shook her head. “I’m not” she mused brightly.

Sergio marveled at her smile before he shook his head, a small laugh falling out of his mouth. Cassie grinned at the soft sound of his laugh before she gently leant towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “I like your laugh” she mused softly, poking his side playfully.

Sergio rolled his eyes lightly before he carefully ducked into her, sneaking a couple of quick kisses before he leant back, resting his forehead against hers. “I’m glad that you’re here, you know” he mumbled softly “I mean, I was sort of hoping for a different result last night, but I am still glad that you’ve made the trip, even if we’re going to be on one of the first flights out of here. I love that you’re here, Cass” he fussed softly, his arms settled happily around her waist.

“I’m glad that you’re glad” Cassie replied softly “But I’m happier to see that smile of yours. I kind of like it, you know” she teased, lightly poking the corner of his mouth.

Sergio let out another soft laugh before he ducked into her, sneaking another soft kiss. Cassie smiled into the contact, holding him close to her for a few seconds, before Noah let out a small sound, causing her to duck back, her green eyes settling on the little boy who sat beside her, his little arms stretched up towards her. “I think someone would like our attention” she mused softly “You’re going to get out of bed?” she added, offering Sergio a small glance as she moved to lift Noah up.

Sergio offered a light smile before he nodded his head.

Cassie offered him a light smile before she leant into him once more, stealing another quick kiss before she pulled away from him, mumbling something about having plans for the day as she ducked out of the room. Sergio watched her out of the door before he shook his head, a grin pulling at the corner of his mouth. It stung him, the way that the match had worked out was likely to sting for a while, but he was pleased that Cassie had been there, even if he was disappointed with the match, he was pleased that she was around to buoy his spirits.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)