Somebody Like Me

Eighty: Things Change

“How long do these things take?” Sergio posed gently as he rested against the frame of the bathroom door, his dark eyes settled on Cassie who’d moved to wash her hands. It had been a little while, with Sergio having had to play a match the night before, Cassie taking a pregnancy test had been postponed until the following morning, but with Noah settled down for a nap, Sergio had been quick to usher her into the bathroom, not wanting to wait any longer.

It had caught him by surprise, the idea that Cassie thought that there was a possibility of her being pregnant for the second time had been more than a little unexpected, but he wanted to know one way or the other, even if it had only been a year since Noah had arrived. A small part of him hoped that he had succeeded in getting her pregnant again.

Cassie, who’d moved to step past him into the bedroom, smiled. “You’re impatient” she quipped.

“We both know that I am” Sergio confirmed with a nod “But that doesn’t answer my question. How long do we have to wait before we know one way or the other?” he pressed gently.

Cassie smiled a little at the urgency in his voice before she shook her head. “It says 3 minutes” she mused gently “Do you think that you can hold on for that long?” she added as she settled down on the bed, flashing him an impish grin before she moved to collect a magazine which sat on the end table.

Sergio watched her for a couple of seconds before he flicked his attention towards the magazine, not missing the front cover. “You’re looking at a bridal magazine” he breathed softly.

Cassie, who’d been contently leafing through magazine, jumped at the sudden sound of his voice before she nodded her head softly. “I am” she confirmed “I mean, it might have slipped your mind, but we’re supposed to get married in a little over 3 months. Had you forgotten that?” she teased softly.

Sergio, who’d moved to settle down on the bed beside her, offered her a slightly pointed look before he shook his head softly. “I meant that you’re still looking at a bridal magazine” he rephrased softly “I just thought…you could be…and I thought maybe you’d want to…” he trailed off softly. He knew that nothing was certain, as of that moment, they didn’t know whether Cassie was pregnant or not, but he was slightly surprised to find her looking at a wedding magazine. He had thought that she would be tempted to postpone things.

Cassie quietly mulled his words over for a few seconds before she gently shook her head. “I’ve thought about it” she admitted, knowing what he was getting at “But I think, even if the test comes back positive, that I’d like to keep the wedding date the same” she added gently.

“You would?” Sergio posed, a slight frown on his face.

Cassie nodded her head lightly. “I would” she confirmed gently “I mean, I know that I would be pretty pregnant by the time that December rolls around, but I don’t want to put it off. I’m looking forwards to it. Did you want to put it off?” she posed gently, her green eyes peeking up at him softly.

Sergio admired the soft look on her features for a second before he shook his head. “Of course I don’t” he mused “I’ve made it more than clear that I’d marry you tomorrow if I could, but I was just thinking about you. If I have my way, you’re only going to get one shot at being a bride, and I doubt that when you pictured that moment when you were a little girl, you imagined being pregnant” he added, his eyes briefly glancing down towards the front of her shirt.

Cassie followed the line of his stare before she shook her head, a light smile on her lips. “I didn’t imagine it that way” she admitted gently “But things change. I want to get married, Sese, I want to do it on the date that we’ve picked out, and I don’t think that I’m going to change my mind about it, even if I will be pregnant in our wedding pictures. I don’t want to put it off” she added, her voice caught between light and firm.

Sergio offered her a slightly dubious look, silently asking her if she was sure, something which caused Cassie to lean into him, kissing him lightly. Sergio stilled a little, slightly surprised by the soft kiss, but he quickly responded, his hand lightly cupping her cheek as he leant into her a little more, holding her close for a few seconds before the sound of Noah’s stirring emanated away from the monitor, causing him to pull away from her slightly. “My turn?” he posed gently.

“Your turn” Cassie confirmed, sneaking another soft kiss.

Sergio held onto her for a brief moment before he pushed himself up to his feet. “You’ll wait for me to come back, won’t you?” he posed, briefly glancing towards the bathroom.

Cassie shrugged. “I’m not making any promises” she mused playfully.

Sergio offered her another playful glare before he shook his head, moving to duck out of the bedroom.

Cassie watched him out of the door before she gently pushed herself up to her feet, quietly padding into the bathroom. Taking a small breath, she gently stepped towards the counter before she carefully lifted up the test box, perusing the instructions for a moment before she flicked her attention towards the two tests. Swallowing, she briefly contemplated peeking at them before the sound of Sergio clearing his throat reached her, causing her to lift her head, offering him a shy smile. “I’ve not looked yet” she defended softly.

Sergio, who had Noah balanced on his hip, nodded. “Do you want me to do it?” he posed softly “I mean, I can, if you want me to” he added.

Cassie offered him soft look, briefly mulling over his offer, before she nodded her head, wordlessly asking him to look for her.

Sergio smiled a little at her response before he stepped towards her, gently settling Noah into her arms before he stepped towards the counter, lifting the two tests into his hand. Taking in a small breath, he offered Cassie a reassuring smile before he flipped them over in his hand, his dark eyes studying the results.

“Well?” Cassie squeaked, breaking the silence which had settled over the room.

Sergio was quiet for a moment longer before he lifted his head, a coy smile on his face. “You’re pregnant” he breathed softly.

“I am?” Cassie squeaked.

Sergio chuckled a little at the surprise in her voice before he nodded his head. “You are” he confirmed “Two positive results. You’re going to be a madre again, Cass” he added, showing the tests off to her.

Cassie blinked, his words whirring around in her head, before she shook her head. “I’m…I’m going to have a baby?” she babbled gently.

Sergio grinned and nodded his head. “You are” he repeated brightly before he stepped towards her, lightly pressing a kiss against her cheek as he lifted Noah out of her arms. “And you, Noah, you’re going to be a big brother” he added, pressing a kiss to the little boy’s head.

Cassie watched them for a few moments, her head still spinning, before she stepped towards Sergio, something which caused him to wrap his arm around her, hugging her close as the news of her pregnancy began to settle in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comments :)