Somebody Like Me

Eighty Eight: It Won’t Be The Last Time

Watching the second hand tick around the clock, Cassie allowed a soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, her ears filled by the quiet which filled the bedroom. It was early, the time on the clock read just past 6:30, but Cassie couldn’t will herself to fall back to sleep, even if she did still feel tired, she couldn’t quite shake the bout of butterflies which twitched in her stomach. She was excited, the idea that she was only a matter of hours away from getting married was one which thrilled her, but a small part of her couldn’t wait to get it over with, even if it had taken a lot of effort to plan, a small part of her wished that the day would pass quickly.

Allowing another yawn to fall out of her mouth, she watched the clock for another couple of seconds before the sound of a knock at the door reached her ears, causing her to tilt her head. It was early, too early for anyone else to be awake, and she was slightly surprised to hear a knock at her bedroom door. She had assumed that everyone else would be asleep for a while to come. Frowning a little, she carefully pushed herself up to her feet before she padded across the room, carefully pulling the door open to her father who stood on the other side. “Papa?” she breathed softly “You know what time it is, right?” she added.

Alonso, who was stood in the hall, quirked a small smile. “I had noticed the time” he mused softly “But I remember that you have trouble sleeping when you’re nervous so I figured I could bring you a little breakfast before the others start to wake up. Do you want me to leave you to it?” he posed softly. He knew that she was nervous, for a few days, she had been a little quieter than normal, and he wanted to offer her a little comfort, even if he knew that he couldn’t get rid of her nerves entirely. He wanted her to be as calm as she could be when the time came for her to walk up the aisle.

Cassie tilted her head. “Breakfast?” she poked.

Alonso chuckled a little before he nodded. “It’s just some toast and juice” he mused softly “But I figured that you’d not be too hungry. Can I come in?” he posed gently, peeking past her.

Cassie offered him a playful roll of her green eyes before she stepped out of the doorway, allowing him to step past her, settling a plate of toast on the end table. “Have you been awake for long?” he posed gently, settling down at the foot of the bed.

Cassie, who’d moved to settle up against her pillow, shrugged. “It’s been a pretty long night” she admitted softly “I mean, I fell asleep pretty quickly, but I kept waking up and just looking at the clock. I finally gave up trying to get back to sleep about an hour and a half ago” she added as she nibbled on a piece of toast.

“You’re nervous?” Alonso posed softly.

“Very much so” Cassie confirmed “Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that this is what I want to do, but it’s still pretty nerve wracking. I’m going to have a husband, papa” she added, her fingers pulling at the duvet cover shyly.

Alonso nodded. “You are” he agreed softly “And I’d be pretty surprised if you weren’t nervous. You’re a worrier, Cassandra” he added.

Cassie shook her head, offering him a playful glare. “You’re not helping” she mused playfully.

Alonso offered her a small smile before he shifted slightly, moving to take a hold of her hand which fiddled shyly with the bedspread. “It’s Ok to be nervous” he mused softly “You said it yourself, this is pretty huge and I’d be surprised if you weren’t nervous. I know that I was a mess the morning I married your mother” he added, gently squeezing her hand.

Cassie lifted an eyebrow. “You were?” she posed softly.

“Of course I was” Alonso replied as though it was the most obvious thing in the world “I was so nervous about everything. I thought that I’d mess it up somehow, that I’d embarrass her, but when she walked into that church, I stopped caring about it. She looked amazing, beautiful, and all I could think about from there on out was about how lucky I was” he added, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

Cassie admired the soft smile he wore for a moment before she shook her head. “It goes away?” she posed softly.

Alonso nodded his head. “It did for me” he mused softly “And I am sure that it will be the same for you. The little things, they’re not the important part of today, the important part is that you and Sergio are going to be married and that’s all that should concern you. Don’t work yourself up, Cassandra, especially not with this” he added, his spare hand lightly brushing over her bump.

Cassie spared a soft glance down at his hand before she nodded her head softly, something which made Alonso grin gently. “You know, your madre would have been so proud of you” he murmured softly, breaking the small silence which had settled around the two of them.

Cassie, who’d been quietly nibbling on another slice of toast, blinked a couple of times before she lifted her head. “You think?” she posed softly.

“Of course I do” Alonso replied softly “You’ve grown into such a wonderful woman, Cassandra, you’re smart, and kind, and beautiful, and she would have been so proud. She’d have loved Sergio too” he added kindly.

Cassie quirked a small smile. “She would have done?” she posed softly.

Alonso nodded. “He’s good for you” he pointed out “He’s a good man and he makes you happy, something she would have loved about him. She would have really loved today” he added, his voice growing slightly heavy.

Cassie nodded the heaviness in her father’s voice before she shook her head. “Are you crying?” she poked softly.

“So what if I am?” Alonso quipped, offering her a slightly tearful smile.

Cassie’s expression softened a little at the sight of the tears in her father’s eyes before she leant towards him, pulling him into a soft hug. “If you’re not careful, you’ll set me off” she mumbled softly “And I think we both know that if I start crying, it’ll be pretty hard to make me stop” she added, squeezing him tightly.

Alonso spluttered out a laugh. “You’re the crier in our family” he agreed gently “And you’re pretty pregnant” he added playfully.

Cassie sniffled out a small laugh before she shook her head, hugging her father close for a few more moments before the sound of the bedroom door opening caught her ears, causing her to lift her head, her green eyes settling on Sara who stood in the doorway. “Are you crying already?” she quipped playfully.

Cassie, who’d pulled back from her father, wiped her eyes softly before she shrugged. “Perhaps” she mused softly “And I think we both know that it will not be the last time today that I cry” she added, carefully brushing a few loose tears away from her eyes.

Sara shook her head. “Probably not” she mused gently “But right now, I thought I’d come and let you know that Noah is awake and looking for his madre, so…” she trailed off softly.

Cassie nodded her head gently before she carefully pushed herself up to her feet, moving to follow Sara out of the room. Alonso watched her go for a couple of moments before he shook his head, wordlessly hoping that the day ahead of them went off without a hitch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)