Somebody Like Me

Eighty Nine: We’ve Got A Wedding To Get To

Running his tie through his hands, Sergio shook his head, trying his hardest to swallow the knot which existed in his throat. It had been a long morning, between his teasing friends and cooing mother, he’d barely been left alone for a moment, but he was keen to make the most of the few seconds of peace, even if he knew it was only a matter before someone came along and told him that it was time to get moving. He was grateful for a couple of moments to himself.

Shaking his head, he watched the small movements of his hands before he moved to place the tie around his neck, a gentle sigh falling out of his mouth. He was nervous, the idea that he was only a matter of hours away from getting married was one which had a groups of knots twisting in his stomach, but he knew that he couldn’t shift them, even if he wanted to relax a little. He doubted that he would stop feeling nervous until he set eyes on Cassie.

Allowing another soft sigh to fall out of his mouth, he moved to fix his tie before he pushed himself up, his dark eyes studying his reflection in the mirror which stood ahead of him.

“You look good, Sergio”

Sergio, who’d been studying his appearance for any slight imperfection, jumped a little at the sound of Fernando’s voice before he shook his head, offering the forward a timid smile. “You think I’ll meet Cassie’s standards?” he joked feebly.

Fernando smiled a little at the nervousness in the defender’s voice before he shook his head. “She is a perfectionist” he teased impishly “She’ll probably notice that your tie is slightly lopsided and that there’s a scuff mark on your shoe, but I think you’ll pass” he added playfully.

Sergio offered the forward a slight glare, something which made Fernando chuckle a little before he took a pace towards him, moving to adjust his tie slightly. “You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you so nervous before” he mused “Even before the world cup final, you looked more composed than this. Are you going to be alright?” he asked, his voice caught between teasing and concerned.

Sergio scoffed out a small laugh before he shook his head. “I know that there’s no real reason to be nervous” he admitted gently “But I guess a part of me will worry until I am actually stood there, looking at her with my own eyes” he added, brushing a hand over his face. He knew that there was no reason to be worried, Cassie had reassured him more than once that she was looking forwards to their wedding day, but still he couldn’t shake the nerves in his stomach, even if he was sure that there was nothing to be worried about.

Fernando shook his head gently before he moved to pat the defender’s shoulder. “You love her?” he posed.

Sergio snorted. “Of course I do” he replied as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Then relax a little” Fernando noted “She’s crazy about you, hombre, it’s all over her face, and that means you’ve got nothing to be worrying about. You love her, she loves you, and that’s the important thing” he added firmly.

Sergio offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made the striker laugh before he patted his shoulder once more. “Come on” he noted “Your madre sent me in here to get you to the car. We’ve got a wedding to get to” he teased brightly as he made his way out of the door.

Sergio rolled his eyes a little at the striker’s joke before he shook his head, letting a small breath out. “Come on, Sergio” he muttered to himself “It’ll be fine” he added shakily.

~#~
Pushing a hand through his hair, Sergio spared a small look towards the door, wordlessly wishing that it would simply open and allow Cassie to step inside. It was coming, the moment that Cassie stepped into the church was inching closer, but time seemed to be moving too slowly for the defender, something which had him slightly on edge.

Sparing another look towards the door, he shook his head quietly before he felt a hand on his shoulder, causing him to lift his head, not missing the smirk that Iker wore. “You can calm down, you know” he quipped “Sara texted a little while ago and told me that Cassie’s fine. She’s on her way, hombre, and that means you can stop glaring at the door. It’s not going to make things move along any faster” he added, earning a few chuckles from Fernando and Sergio’s brother who stood nearby.

Sergio offered the goalkeeper a small glare before he shook his head, flicking his attention back towards the door.

Iker spared a small laugh at the frown which the defender wore before he stepped towards him, bumping his shoulder playfully. “Sara says that you’ll be pretty blown away when Cassie shows up” he mused softly, trying to take the defender’s attention “Apparently, she looks pretty spectacular” he added kindly.

Sergio offered him a small sideward look before he quirked a timid smile. “I don’t doubt it” he mused softly.

Iker returned his smile gently. “You’re sure about this, aren’t you?” he posed softly “I mean, it’s pretty fast, and if you’re worried…”

“I’m certain, Iker” Sergio interrupted softly, offering him a firm look.

Iker blinked, slightly surprised by the interruption, before he nodded his head. “Good” he mused gently “Because Cassie…she’s pretty great, amigo” he added brightly.

Sergio let out a small laugh before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to flick his attention towards his mother who had stepped towards him, a warm smile on her face. “Mama?” he posed gently.

“Your bride is outside” Paqui mused “And that means that your other groomsmen need to get out there whilst you and your brother get up there” she added, gently gesturing towards the top of the aisle.

Sergio blinked a couple of times, trying to process her words, before he quirked a small smile, something which made Iker and Fernando snicker as they ducked past, quipping something about him being just too cute. Sergio rolled his eyes at their teasing before he looked back towards his mother. “You’ve seen her?” he posed softly.

Paqui’s face lit up before she nodded her head. “She looks breathtaking” she enthused warmly.

Sergio’s grin widened a little at her words before he shook his head, moving to follow his brother towards the top of the aisle.

~#~
“You know, there’s still an opportunity to run if you want to”

Cassie, who was quietly fixing the final details of her dress, rolled her eyes a little at her father’s joke before she shook her head. “I’ve made it this far” she mused softly.

Alonso nodded his head. “You have” he agreed softly “And you’ve been a little less shaky than I was expecting. I was half expecting to have to send Mia and Sara to look for you” he added gently, his lips curved into a familiar teasing smile. It had been a good morning, after he had taken breakfast up to her, Cassie had seemed relaxed and calm, and Alonso had to admit that he was pleased, even if he was sure that she was still nervous. He was glad to see her calm and composed.

Cassie offered him a small sarcastic smile before she shook her head, gently straightening out her dress.

“You look so beautiful, sweetheart” Alonso mused softly, breaking the silence which had settled around the two of them.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed slightly. “You sure?” she posed gently.

“I don’t think I’ve seen anything more beautiful than you right now” Alonso mused gently “And I know that that guy in there, he’s very, very lucky” he added kindly.

Cassie spared him a small bashful smile before she gently pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “Gracias for today, papa” she murmured softly “You’ve been the calming influence I needed and I want to thank you for that” she added quietly.

“You don’t need to thank me for anything, sweetheart” Alonso mused as he wrapped her in a small hug.

Cassie held onto him tightly for a second before she spotted Mia out of the corner of her eye, something which caused her to duck back a little. “They’re ready?” she posed, wiping her eyes softly.

Mia nodded. “They are” she confirmed gently “Are you?” she posed softly.

Cassie took in a soft breath, trying to compose herself, before she nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly.

Mia flashed her a reassuring grin before she gently moved to place the bouquet of flowers into Cassie’s hands. “I’m so happy for you, Cass” she fussed softly before she stepped away, leaving Cassie and Alonso alone.

Cassie watched her bridesmaid step away from before took another calming breath, something which caused Alonso to take a hold of one of her hands, offering it a light squeeze. “Come on, Cassandra” he mused softly “Let’s go and get you married” he added playfully before he linked their arms together.

Cassie looked at their arms for a second, trying to swallow the lump in her throat, before she shook her head. “We really should have waited until the twins arrived” she babbled softly as her father guided her through the first couple of steps.

“You and Sergio are impatient” Alonso teased “I’m actually amazed that you two didn’t just elope” he added.

“It was a conversation that we had more than once” Cassie admitted, not moving her eyes from her feet as they walked.

Alonso went to offer her a retort, but stopped, not missing the way her eyes were settled on her feet. Quirking a small smile, he shook his head softly before he lightly nudged her side. “Sweetheart” he cooed softly “You’re Ok. He’s here and he looks so happy to see you” he added gently.

Cassie offered him a small frown before she tentatively lifted her, her eyes settling on Sergio who stood a few feet away from her, a bright smile stretched across his face. Blushing, she offered him a timid smile in return before she ducked her head timidly. Alonso, who was carefully leading her up the aisle, chuckled a little at the interaction before he moved to stop ahead of Sergio, offering him a bright smile. “Sergio” he mused softly “Welcome to the family, son” he added before he patted the defender’s shoulder.

Sergio offered the older man a small appreciative grin.

Alonso patted his shoulder lightly once more before he flicked his attention back to Cassie, offering her a bright fatherly grin. “I’m beyond happy for you, Cassandra” he mused softly before he ducked down, pressing a brief kiss against her cheek before he stepped away, moving to take his seat.

Cassie watched him to his seat before she felt a hand take her own, causing her to turn, her green eyes mirroring Sergio’s darker ones. “Hola” she squeaked softly.

Sergio chuckled softly. “Hola” he replied.

Cassie offered him another timid smile before she ducked her head, something which caused Sergio to step towards her, dropping his lips to her ear. “I can’t even begin to tell you how gorgeous you look” he mumbled softly “You look absolutely perfect, Cass” he added softly, pressing a soft kiss to the spot below her ear.

Cassie’s eyes closed at the feeling of his lips against her skin, feeling a few of her nerves melt away, before she gently nudged him back, something which made Sergio grin before he squeezed her hand lightly, more than glad to see her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)