Somebody Like Me

Ninety Five: They’re On Their Way

“Remind me, how did I let you talk me into this?” Cassie mused as she stepped into the bedroom, her fingers adjusting the material of the dress that she wore. It had been a little while, after they’d celebrated their second anniversary, a few weeks had passed, and with her due date rapidly approaching, Sergio was keen to make the most of the time that they had before the twins were due to put in their first appearance, something which had caused him to extend an invitation to a team dinner towards his wife, an invitation that Cassie had been quick to accept. It wasn’t a big deal, since she and Sergio had started to date, she had been to multiple dinners and events with his teammates and their partners, but a small part of her was looking forwards to it, even if it was only likely to be a couple of hours. She was looking forwards to getting out of the house.

Sergio, who was sat on the bed, snorted before he shook his head, offering a boyish smile. “I didn’t talk you into anything, Cass” he pointed out “I told you that the team were heading out for dinner and you suggested that it might be fun if we tagged along. If this is on one of us, it’s probably you” he added brightly.

Cassie, who’d moved to slip her feet into a pair of shoes, shook her head softly. “It’s been a little while since we went out with your friends” she noted gently “And I figured that it would be nice. Have you changed your mind?” she posed softly, moving to wrap a cardigan around her shoulders.

Sergio watched her for a brief second before he pushed himself up, helping her to wrap the light knitted cardigan around her shoulders before he leant down, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her neck. “I’ve not changed my mind” he mused softly “I’m sort of looking forwards to it, but if you’re less sure, then that’s Ok. We’re pretty close to your due date and if you want to stay here, I’m sure that no one would mind” he offered gently, his hand moving to settle on the front of her dress.

Cassie smiled at the sight of his hand against her bump before she lightly shook her head. “I kind of want to go” she mused softly “But I am probably not going to want to stay for very long…”

“We can go whenever you want” Sergio interjected softly “I mean, I doubt that anyone will be expecting us to stay all night anyways” he added, his thumb lightly brushing over her bump.

Cassie admired the soft movements of his thumb before she carefully turned around, allowing her to lean into him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips, something which caused Sergio to grin gently before he ducked away from her, his thumb lightly tracing along her jaw. “Have I mentioned that I love you?” he mumbled quietly.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little before she shrugged. “You’ve said it a few times in the last couple of years” she mused playfully “But I never tire of hearing it” she added impishly.

Sergio offered her another warm smile before he leant into her, sneaking another quick kiss before he pulled back, mumbling something about getting moving before he stepped out of the room. Cassie moved to follow after him, but flinched, frowning slightly at the small wave of discomfort which passed over her. Pausing for a second, she allowed the small pain to subside before she shook her head, quietly moving to pad out of the room.

~#~
Leaning her weight back against the sink, Cassie let out a soft sigh, trying to get through the wave of pain which had washed over her. It wasn’t the first one, since she had experienced the first twinge, there had been a few more, and Cassie had quickly worked out what was happening, even if she had yet to tell anyone, she was confident that the pains were the start of her contractions. Closing her eyes, she breathed through the pain quietly before she flicked her attention down towards her bump, her hand gently resting on top of it. “You’re on your way now, aren’t you?” she mumbled quietly.

Taking in another small breath, she carefully brushed a hand over her bump before she padded towards the door, ducking out into the corridor before she felt someone bump into her, causing her to lift her head, her green eyes settling on Sergio. “Sergio” she squeaked softly “I was…I was just on my way back” she added softly.

Sergio, who’d taken a small step away from her, eyed her for a moment before he shook his head. “What’s wrong?” he posed softly.

“Wrong?” Cassie spluttered “What makes you think…”

“I know you” Sergio interrupted with a small knowing smirk “And you’ve been odd since we left home. So, are you going to tell me what’s going on?” he added quietly. It had been subtle, since they’d left home, Cassie had simply been a little quieter than usual, but still it was enough for Sergio to know that there was something on her mind, even if she hadn’t said a word. He knew that there was something bothering her.

Cassie blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by the interruption, before she lightly shook her head. “Sergio…”

“I know that there’s something up, Cass” Sergio interrupted softly “So, why don’t we skip the part where you tell me that it’s nothing and get to the part where you just tell me what it is?” he posed softly, his dark eyes mirroring her greens.

Cassie held his stare for a couple of seconds before she moved to take a hold of his hand, gently settling it against the front of her dress. “They’re still about 10 minutes apart” she breathed softly, her fingers messing with his softly.

Sergio, who’d flicked his attention down towards her bump, frowned. “What?” he posed confusedly.

Cassie laughed softly. “My contractions” she clarified gently “They’re about 10 minutes apart” she added gently.

“Your…your contractions?” Sergio spluttered softly.

Cassie spared him a timid smile before she nodded her head gently. “They started a couple of hours ago” she explained softly “But they’re still a while apart and that means that we’ve not got anything to worry about for the time being. My water’s haven’t broken yet either” she added, her green eyes watching her fingers as they messed with his.

Sergio was quiet for a moment, trying to process the words which had come out of her mouth, before he quirked a small smile. “They’re coming?” he posed softly.

Cassie returned his warm smile before she nodded her head softly. “I think we’ve still got a while to wait, but they’re on their way” she mused warmly.

Sergio’s grin widened at her words before he took a step towards her, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “I’m going to tell the others that we’re going” he mumbled softly.

Cassie contemplated arguing, telling him that there was no need, but she opted against it, instead offering him a small nod. “I think that that sounds pretty good” she mused softly “I’ll go and find my coat” she added gently before she moved to step away. Sergio, however, was quicker, his hand settling on her wrist before he pulled her into him, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her lips. Cassie squeaked, slightly surprised by the sudden kiss, before she ducked back, mumbling about getting her coat before she padded away.

Sergio watched her steps for a couple of moments before he shook his head, a wide smile appearing on his lips. He knew that they were still a little while away, but he hoped that the time passed quickly. He couldn’t wait to meet the two new additions to his little family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)