Somebody Like Me

Ninety Eight: It’s Going To Take Us All Time

Gently smoothing out the material of the shirt that she had pulled on, Cassie stepped back into the hospital room, her green eyes quickly settling on Sergio who sat on the bed, cooing softly to Oscar who sat in his arms, whimpering softly. It had been a little while, after they’d settled on the names that they wanted to give the twins, they’d opted to take a couple more hours for themselves, but she knew that the peace wouldn’t last too much longer, even if she and Sergio had only agreed to let their parents and Noah visit, she knew that the small hospital room was likely to get a little hectic.

Messing with the bottom of her shirt, she watched Sergio and Oscar for a couple of seconds before she quietly made her way towards the bed, gently settling down them. “Is he alright?” she asked quietly, her fingertips lightly adjusting the hat which sat on the little boy’s head.

Sergio, who’d been comforting the slightly fussy infant, quirked a small smile. “He’s fine” he mused softly “He just started to stir when you got up so I figured I’d try and settle him down before everyone shows up. I doubt Noah’s going to warm to him and Luna if they’re screaming when he arrives” he added, carefully adjusting Oscar in his arms.

Cassie scoffed. “I don’t think he’s going to be thrilled about them anyway” she quipped.

“You don’t?” Sergio posed gently.

Cassie shrugged. “He’s grown pretty used to it just being the three of us” she noted softly “And now he’s going to have to share us, not with one baby sibling, but two. I don’t know that he’s going to take that all that well” she added gently, her green eyes settled on Oscar who drifted back to sleep in Sergio’s arms. It was something which worried her, Noah’s reaction to his knew baby brother and sister, and she was a little apprehensive that it would be negative, even if she was confident that he’d eventually warm to the idea of being a big brother. She was a little worried that his initial reaction wouldn’t be good.

Sergio quietly mulled over her words for a moment before he gently reached out his spare hand, taking a hold of hers before he squeezed it softly. “It’ll be fine, Cass” he murmured softly “I mean, you’re right, Noah’s probably not going to love the idea of sharing us at first, but I am sure that he’ll grow into it. It’s going to take us all a little time to adapt to having these two around” he added gently.

He could see that she was worried, since he had suggested that her father and Noah were going to drop by, she had been slightly more apprehensive than before, and he wanted to comfort her. It was new, with Oscar and Luna having arrived, the dynamics in their little family were likely to change, and he wanted to assure her that things were going to be OK, even if it did take a little figuring out. He was sure that they’d get there eventually.

Cassie, who’d been quietly messing with the sleepsuit that Oscar wore, allowed his words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she quietly nodded her head. “It is going to take some getting used to” she agreed softly “I mean, we’ve got three children, Sese” she added, her voice soft and awed.

Sergio laughed gently before he nodded his head. “We do” he agreed “And it is going to take some time for us to get our heads around that, but I am sure that we will, Cass. We have a knack of figuring things out as we go” he added, offering her hand another soft squeeze.

Cassie spared a soft glance down towards their hands before she carefully lifted them, allowing her to press a soft kiss against the back of his hand. “You know that I love you, right?” she posed quietly.

“I do know that” Sergio replied softly “And you know that I feel the same way about you, nena. I love you, Cassie” he added warmly.

Cassie’s cheeks warmed a little at the words which had fallen out of his mouth before the sound of a light knock at the door reached her ears, causing her to lift her head, her green eyes settling on Paqui who stood in the doorway, a soft smile on her lips. “We’re not interrupting, are we?” she posed softly “Because if we are…”

“You’re not” Cassie interjected softly “It’s good to see you” she added, flashing the older woman a gentle smile.

Paqui smiled gently. “Are you two ready for a few visitors?” she asked softly.

Sergio, who’d moved to settle Oscar down into his crib, flashed his mother a soft smile before he nodded his head. “Of course we are” he noted softly “We’ve got two new little ones that we’re very excited to introduce to you” he added as he pushed himself up to his feet, quickly ushering his mother and father inside.

Cassie watched her mother and father-in-law step across the room before the sound of the word ‘mama’ reached her ears, causing her to whip around, her eyes settling on her father who stood in the doorway, Noah settled in his arms. “Hola, Cassandra” Alonso greeted brightly.

“Hola, papa” she greeted softly “And, hola, Noah” she added, offering a small smile towards the toddler who sat in his grandfather’s arms, a pout on his face.

Noah stared at her for a couple of seconds before he lifted his arms up towards her. “Mama” he repeated gently.

Cassie smiled softly at the word before she stepped towards her father, carefully lifting Noah into her arms. “It’s good to see you, Noah” she mused softly “I’ve missed you. Were you a good boy for your abuelo?” she posed, offering a look towards Alonso.

“He was a little fussy at first” Alonso mused “I don’t think he liked not having you or Sergio around, but he settled down pretty quickly. He’s a good kid, Cass” he added, his voice warm and reassuring.

Cassie offered him soft look, wordlessly asking if he was sure, before Noah lifted his hand, resting it against his mother’s cheek. Cassie smiled warmly at the small action before she gently pressed a kiss against his palm, something which made Noah giggle gently before he ducked his head, resting it against Cassie’s shoulder.

Cassie held onto him for a couple of seconds, enjoying the hug, before she felt a hand on her lower back, causing her to turn around, peeking up at Sergio who smiled down at her softly. “You ready?” he posed gently.

Cassie offered him a small look before she quietly nodded her head, moving to settle down on the side of the bed before she settled Noah in her lap.

“We’ve got a couple of people that we want to introduce to you to” Sergio noted softly “We’d like you all to meet Luna and Oscar, our twins” he added, a proud smile on his face.

Paqui, who was stood beside the two cribs, shook her head softly, a small sniffle falling out of her mouth. “They’re beautiful” she fussed softly “I mean, they were always going to be but…”

“They’re adorable, Sergio” Jose Maria added, cutting off his wife’s babbling.

Sergio flashed them another proud grin before he flicked his attention towards Cassie who was quietly fussing over Noah. Watching them for a moment, he smiled gently before he sat down beside her, carefully lifting Noah out of her arms. “I think we’ve got two people who are looking forwards to meeting their big brother” he cooed softly before he tentatively leant forwards, holding Noah above the two cribs. “Noah, this is Oscar, and this is Luna, your new baby brother and sister” he added warmly.

Noah watched the two babies for a few seconds, a frown on his lips, before he gently leant forwards, his little hand brushing against the top of Luna’s head. Luna, who’d been happily sleeping, snuffled a little at the contact before she opened her eyes, staring up at Noah for a few long seconds before she let out a cry, startling Noah who flinched, quickly retreating into his father’s shoulder as he let out a small cry of his own. Sergio shook his head softly before he flicked his attention towards Cassie. “I’ll get him calmed down” he noted softly “You’ll be Ok with Luna?” he posed.

“Of course” Cassie noted, moving to lift the little girl into her arms.

Sergio watched her for a couple of moments before he ducked into her, sneaking a quick kiss. “They’ll get used to one another, nena” he mumbled quietly before he stepped away, moving to carry Noah out of the room.

Cassie watched him go before she lightly shook her head, hoping that he was right. She knew that he had a point, now that the twins had arrived, things were likely to take some time to settle down again, and Cassie hoped that it happened sooner rather than later. The last thing she wanted was for things to get on top of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comments :)