Status: Working on some more chapters. I'm working on making them longer as well.

Hell Hounds

Chapter 4

Tuesday is much easier than Monday. My alarm goes off and I only send it to snooze once before getting up. I slap edge control into my hair and work coconut oil through it. Getting ready is normal: shower, get dressed, then head downstairs to eat breakfast. Mom is outside tending to her garden. she was pulling out her Amaryllises and checking on her pumpkins she planted a while ago. Mom liked gardening, something about it was therapeutic to her I guess. I pull out some waffles and pop them into the toaster. Then I pour some cereal into a bowl.

I'm finishing up the last of my waffles when my mom calls me.

"You friend is here Amaryllis!"

I grab my bag and pull on my hoodie, ready to see Eliza's red corvette. If I knew nothing else about cars, I knew about Eliza's red corvette, her one and only baby. Instead my mouth is hanging open in the doorway as I see an old vintage black car I can only recognize from yesterday.

I snap out of it when Mom eyes me, she was definitely going to get suspicious if I keep being an idiot. I approach the car quickly and throw my bag in the backseat. There was a lot of hair all around it. Black hair. In the far end away from me sits another boy, he has dark auburn hair and red eyes as well. I know him, his name is Josh. I can't seem to recall him having such an unusual eye color though. Josh is looking solemnly out of the window before he turns to me, his face unreadable for a moment. I close the door and slide into the passenger seat.

"What are you doing here?"

"I just thought it'd be nice to give you a ride to school. Eliza told me she usually does it, but I wanted to give her a break." Jet gives me a cheeky smile before backing out of the driveway.

"You have a dog?"

Jet scrunches his eyebrows together and looks back at Josh, who's now looking at the both of us.

"Uncle's, I take care of it every now and then."

It's silent for a long time, before Josh rips out an earbud and says much too loudly:

"I didn't know you were talking about Amaryllis."

I look back at Josh, who was smirking at Jet. Josh was on the football team too, Eliza mentioned him a bit and I saw him around at school, but not much else.

"What?" I mutter.

"Jet was going on and on about this amazing girl he met on his first day. Some black girl with red hair, really shy and timid . . ."

Jet tells Josh to shut the hell up and I roll my eyes. Just what other black girl with red hair could he possibly be talking about in the school? Josh was probably messing around.