Status: Working on some more chapters. I'm working on making them longer as well.

Hell Hounds

Chapter 6

Thursday. A few weeks have passed since Jet came to Westwend High School. Things have been a bit calm I guess, Jet drives me back and forth to school everyday. My mother now thinks I'm dating him, even though I tell him I'm not. Thank god Josh is an idiot and keeps telling everyone that I'm "just one of the guys". It really help with getting rid of the rumors and confrontations. I've only had a few people inquire about our relationship before.
It's late, the time on my phone reads 8:00 as I leave the library that closes in another hour. I had asked Jet to drop me off there today in order to force myself to study. I was awful at studying, I hardly ever did it. While my grades were decent they certainly could use some improvement.

"What time should I come back?"

"Damn dude, she's got you so fucking whipped!" Josh yells from the backseat. Jet throws an empty can of beer at his head.

"Don't worry about it, my mom is coming after work."

Jet looks at me concerned before I turn and start walking inside the library.

I've called her three times before leaving out to see if she was on her way, but she wasn't answering at all. I listen to the phone buzz once, twice, three times before giving a frustrated sigh. I hope her boss didn't pull her back into some sort of meeting again.

"You have reached - "

I hang up. I wipe the screen a few times with my thumb before unlocking it and calling her again. I leave a voicemail this time:

"Hey mom, it's Amaryllis. I'm at the library, it closes in another hour. Call me back." As I press the end button, I see my shadow in front of me. My outline stretches out farther and I hear the rev of a car from behind me. My legs are frozen in place and it takes a lot of effort to pull my cell phone away from my ear. I begin to finally turn around when I hear a loud screech, and the horrible sound of scratching metal.
Two glowing claret beads are pointed right at me. There's a low growl, not from the car, but like an animal. Through the headlights are four thin stubs attached to something hunched over. A thick tail and ears remind me that I've found my old friend, except he wasn't too happy. The dog is glaring at me, it's eyes focused on me while growling. The car behind me had a bad dent in the front hood, and the top of the hood was up but bent deeply in the center. A fire was crackling somewhere the engine was, and it seemed like the flames were caught on the dog's fur. It wasn't paying any mind to me, just growling.

"Help! Somebody please help me, I'm stuck!"

The dog's head turns to the car, and it runs off in the next second. Across the road and into the woods. The fire that engulfed it died down and was shrouded by the darkness. I shake my head and tell the driver to hold on, while pulling out my phone and dialing 9-1-1.