Status: Active! Also on http://archiveofourown.org/users/thefanqueer !

The Speed of Night

The Beginning of the End

“Batman! No. Stay back!” That’s all I could get out as I was being held by my throat, dangling from the 15th story of Wayne Enterprises. I didn’t know if I could use my speed when I was falling in mid air, so I was semi-confident that these were my final moments. I looked down at the Joker, who’s evil grin spread cheek to cheek, teeth gleaming like golden lights on a Christmas tree. I looked towards the man that I had grown so close to over the past year. Dressed in his costume of all black and his face contorted in fear. He rarely showed his emotions, even to me. But in this moment, it was obvious that he was afraid and there was nothing I could do to assuage him, but I had to try. “It-it’s alright. I promise. Everything is gonna be okay. I’m gonna find a way.” With my coughing that out, the Joker let out a characteristic maniacal laugh.

“Oh you Scarlet Speedster, nothing can save you now! Batman doesn’t have the speed, and you don’t have a way to run in midair! You’re doomed!” Joker laughed out as he locked eyes with Batman. “I feel like this makes us even, Bats.” It hit me what he was talking about. Harley had died at the accidental hand of Batman and now Joker was taking me away from Batman. In that moment, the Clown King let me go and left me speeding towards my death while my mind raced for a way to get out of this. I soon realized it was all for not and let my mind escape. I always heard the old tale of your life flashing before your eyes right before you die. I didn’t want to revisit everything, like my mother’s murder or my father’s wrongful imprisonment. So instead, I escaped to a year ago. To a happy moment that would lead my life down an all new and wonderful adventure, even if it did lead me to this very moment. I spent it with him and that’s all that maters.

One Year Prior.

S.T.A.R. Labs.

“Barry, don’t stay too late. We need you at peak tomorrow!” Caitlin Snow, one of my associates at S.T.A.R. Labs, said as she finished gathering her things to leave for the day. She came up behind me and hugged me as I worked tirelessly at the speed equation. I wanted, no needed, to go faster. Not only did I need it to defeat Zoom, it was essential to continue updating speed to face any new threats that came my way. I was done losing those who were important to me. It hadn’t even been a year since Eddie and Ronnie, and we couldn’t lose anymore. None of us had the energy for mourning.

“I won’t. I just want to finish these last few things and I’ll be gone… in a Flash.” I joked cornily, causing my friend to scowl and roll her eyes. “Drive safe.” She nodded at me and then left me to my work. Sighing, I turned back to the dry erase board that had my scribbles that only I can understand.

Hours passed, my wrist began to hurt from writing at high speeds so I decided to take a break and drink some coffee and browse through my Facebook page. It was a mindless activity which allowed me to rest and recharge for just a second. I looked at the clock on the computer and scolded myself for staying this late. “2:00 am. Jeeze. I need a life.”

“You really do”, said a deep voice from behind me that had no registration in my memory. I jumped up as fast as I could, turning to face him as my body got at the ready to fight a meta human.

“Who are- How did you- “, was all I was able to form while my body and mind were still racing to catch up. I should’ve left a long time ago; I wouldn’t have been off my game this badly.

“It’s alright, Barry Allen. I’m sorry we have to meet this way, but I need your help.” The man said as he took a step closer to me. I watched him intently, unsure if I could trust him.

“Wh-what?” I asked as I began to back up into the desk behind me. While I did so, my eyes examined him quickly. He was dressed in, what looked like, a suit of all black Kevlar. A cape draped behind him as the end picked up with the slight breeze the fan was causing. He wore a mask, well more of a cowl to be exact, that resembled… bat ears? I had heard tales of the Gotham vigilante that stalked the streets and apprehended killer clowns, but I never believed them. Which, to be honest, wasn’t very fair of me. I mean, I was a meta human that could run at the speed of light and I dressed in a skin tight red suit. I wasn’t exactly the pinnacle of reality. “Y-you’re Batman? Batman’s real?” I asked stupidly. The Dark Knight nodded his head, as a small smirk landed on his lips. He wanted to laugh at me, but he wouldn’t dare. He already told me he needed my help.

“Yes, Mr. Allen. I am Batman and I am real. I need your help.” He stated again. He must’ve been desperate. “Well, more like we need your help.”

“We?”

“The Justice League, ever heard of it?” Have I ever heard of it? Of course I had, but not until this moment did I even believe it was real. I thought it was merely a mythos created by cities who need vigilantes, to feel protected against an unruly crime force.

“Wait wait wait wait wait. You’re telling me that not only are you, Batman, are real but that the whole Justice League is real? That means, Wonder Woman, Superman, fucking Cyborg is real?!” I asked fervently, I was beginning to feel like this was a hoax, but a feeling in my stomach told me it wasn’t.

“Yes, we are all real! Can we move past this? We need you to join us, so you can help us with your speed and your knowledge of things most of us don’t know.”

“Why the hell do you need me when you have a goddess, a flying alien, and a half man half computer?”

“Well, we were fine without you until you decided to create the singularity and brought Zoom into our Earth. He’s not just your problem, Barry. He’s been terrorizing our cities too. He’s a global threat now. And we need your speed and know how, to get rid of him. Permanently.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Leave a comment if you liked it! More to come soon!