The Lu Shi Tribe

Declan

“It’s two buses away. Don’t know what they are, nor do I care. If we hear of any good behaviour, you can come for the holidays. Send us letters if you want, we won’t read them. We’re sending you there a month early for the summer school program. You’ll work out the buses to take, and we’ll see you in four months. If you injure yourself, send us a letter in a green envelope - but we won’t be happy so don’t act rashly. Clementine will be staying with us so don’t expect her two minutes into the term. We may change our mind about that - or at least, your father might - but if Clementine does turn up make sure not to provoke her.” Sersha held out some money and Luna took it and shoved it deep into her pocket.

“Well, bye then.” Bruno said; Clementine and Sersha were already in the house.

And Luna turned away, walked to the garden gate and turned back. The path was empty, the door locked; already her family had forgotten her.

Luna walked to the bus stop with her cheap pull-along suitcase. She glanced at the bus timetable and found the bus she ought to take.

But she wasn’t going to take it.

Luna was running away.

*******************************************************************************
Sersha downed another cup of tea. Bruno was lounging on the sofa, chewing a piece of stale candy he’d found in his pocket twenty minutes ago. He was staring, utterly noiseless, at the television across the room.

Clementine finished her slice of cake and looked at her parents, who were silently raging at each other.

“D’you wanna go to the beach?”

Sersha took a minute to ready her answer.

She smiled. “Get up off your bottom, Bruno. We’re going to the beach.”

Bruno didn’t answer, but Clementine did:

“Oh goody! I’ll get my sunhat. . .”

*******************************************************************************

Luno got off the bus and yawned; it pulled away and Luna took in the town she’d arrived at.

She wandered down the streets, running her hands along the walls. There was a motel halfway down the calm road. Luna decided she’d rent a room for a while; she had enough money to, she confirmed, glancing at the prices.

She entered the restaurant, the motel’s next-door neighbour.

“Bonjour, mademoiselle,” A waiter bustled up to Luna and guided her to the middle of the room, “Follow moi, I will show you to your table.”

Luna waited at his elbow.

“Non, non! No tables are left, mademoiselle. But je have an idea. . . follow moi.”

Luna didn’t know what was going on, but followed him as he walked to a booth hidden away at the back of the room. A boy sat at it, and was staring intently at the open menu in front of him. He looked up when the waiter led Luna to his booth.

“Monsieur, I’m mortified to say this petite fille has no place to sit in this humble restaurant. Can she dine with you?” The waiter jabbed the booth’s left side, which was empty.

“Er. . . ok, I guess. . .”

And the waiter clamped one hand on each of Luna’s shoulders, and pulled her into her seat. “Sit.” And he moved away.

A minute later he was back. It was awkward; the boy ordered first, then Luna - then the waiter strode off and they were left to embarrass themselves.

Eventually, the boy smiled and questioned her. “I’m Declan. You?”
“Luna.”

Declan then began to converse with her as if they were old friends. He joked, she laughed, they chatted, she joked, he laughed, he gossiped, she laughed, she gossiped, they laughed. . .

Their food arrived and as they ate, they talked. Declan was hilarious and Luna could barely eat, let alone breathe, from laughter. Luna chortled at all his jokes. He was just so funny!

“Feels good to laugh, doesn't it?” Declan said, and Luna nodded vigorously. She hadn’t laughed for ages.

Declan waved his hand and the waiter hurried over.

“We’re done, Saputi. I’d like to see Locha Muncheon now.” Declan said, and the waiter took off.

“I like you, and I trust you. So listen to me, if you promise not to tell a single soul what I say.”

“I won’t tell a single soul. Promise.” Luna leaned forward.

“Do you want to join a tribe?”

“A tribe?”

“You must know - the newspapers have been full of the attacks of the Chao Meng Tribe on the Lu Shi Tribe.”

“My parents don’t allow me to read newspapers.”

“Really? Well, if you ever feel like rebelling, tell me. You can join the tribe.”

“Which one?”

“I belong to the peaceful tribe - Lu Shi.”

“I want to join.” Luna said it so abruptly she hadn’t even thought of the words before they were out of her mouth.

“Good, but remember your promise.”

And he took her hand, and led her into a world of good.

Wait, did I say good? I meant good. . . and evil.