The Heart of the Night

Chapter One

“It’s nice to have this little date night,” Dylan smiled from behind his menu, “It’s good to get away from the kids.”

“Yeah…” Mandy said, giving a weak smile back and fiddling with her place mat while she waited for her husband to decide what he wanted.

They had been going to the same stuffy diner for date nights since they started dating and if she was honest, Mandy was tired of the same old routine. She loved her family, but it felt like there was no excitement in her life anymore and lately she had been craving something more.

“I’m going to the bathroom real quick,” she excused herself, “Just tell the server I’ll have the usual if they come before I’m back.”

“Alright sweetie,” Dylan replied without looking up from the menu.

Entering the small, dimly lit bathroom, Mandy ran the tap and gazed at her reflection in the dirty mirror in front of her.

She was still wearing her business suit from the bank she worked at earlier today, her dusty brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun which she untied and shook her head back and forth, letting her hair fall loose.

“Been coming here for years and he still takes forever to order,” She muttered to herself, washing her hands and heading back to her booth where Dylan was waiting.

“I was just thinking of getting the tuna melt,” Dylan gushed as he slid the menus to the edge of the table, "I haven’t had that in forever."

“Sounds good,” Mandy smiled back.

“Hello, how are you two doing tonight?” A silvery voice greeted the couple.

“We are doing fantastic,” Dylan answered, adjusting his glasses, “How about yourself?”

“I’m doing well love, thanks for asking!”

Mandy looked up and immediately froze as she gazed upon the server. The woman was short and petite, her skin a soft pale color and her eyes a fierce green. Mandy held her breath as she kept looking over the woman, she was simply stunning.

“Miss, what would you like?”

“Huh?” Mandy suddenly came out of her daze, “OH! What is the soup of the day?”

“New England Clam Chowder,” The server informed, “It is super creamy and just divine.”

Mandy’s heart skipped a few beats as she took in the answer, “S-sounds…great, I’ll have that please.”

The server scribbled down the request on her notepad, “Perfect! I’ll put in your order and I will be right back with your drinks.”

“Thank you,” Dylan replied.

“T-thanks…” Mandy trailed off, still gazing at the woman.

The woman soon disappeared away from the booth and Mandy looked down at her lap embarrassed, what had come over her?

“What’s up with you?” Dylan asked looking concern.

“Just a long day at work today,” Mandy lied.