The Heart of the Night

Chapter Three

"We are home," Dylan called out as the couple entered their home. Mandy made her way to the living room.

"Dad, keep it down... I just got Denny to sleep an hour ago," a young teenage boy hissed as he leaned over the back of a long brown couch, the TV picture dancing in the background and the volume turned down low.

"How was your night Kyle?" Mandy asked her son.

"Oh you know, it was slow and boring as usual," Kyle replied, turning back to his text books and beginning to write in a notebook that was resting on his lap.

"Still working on homework?" Mandy added, sitting next to Kyle and peering over at his work.

"Well you guys weren't gone for long..." Kyle answered, "I'll admit I was more focused on the TV..."

Mandy shook her head and gave a small chuckle.

"You are always caught up in your shows."

"Well you know, it's an escape," He mumbled, twirling his matted brown hair and continuing to write in his notebook, not looking up at his mother.

Startled by a loud thud from across the room, Mandy quickly got to her feet and made her way over to the window.

"What was that?" Kyle asked confused.

Mandy cupped her hands around her eyes and peered out the window, scanning the portion of the side yard. She saw the glow of lights from her neighbors house, which illuminated a slender figure in the distance by a tree and Mandy narrowed her eyes to get a clearer look at who it was. Before she was able to see anything, the figure disappeared and Mandy shivered involuntarily as a chill ran down her neck.

"Mom?" Kyle called out, bringing Mandy back in the moment and drawing her attention to her son.

"I don't know," she replied, making her way back to the couch, "'I didn't see anything..."

"Must of just been the wind," Kyle suggested, shrugging as Mandy sat back next to him, "We have been getting some crazy weather lately."

"Yeah," Mandy softly mumbled as she stared at the TV screen in front of her.