The Heart of the Night

Chapter Five

It was a cloudy Sunday morning and Mandy sat in the corner of the small local cafe, waiting for Sophia to arrive. Anxiously scanning the room a few times, Mandy checked her phone and frowned to see that there was no word from her new friend.

"Sorry I'm late," Sophia said, her silvery voice ringing through Mandy's ears, "I got a bit lost..."

"Oh, no worries," Mandy replied, snapping her head up and giving Sophia a big smile, "I...I should of given you better directions."

"It's no problem, dear," Sophia reassured her, taking a seat and tossing her long black hair over her shoulder.

Looking Sophia up and down, Mandy noticed that she was wearing a long sleeve lacy black top and a long flowing black skirt. Her skin looked extra pale in the dark colors and Mandy stared at Sophia in awe... she couldn't believe such a beautiful woman was sitting in front of her.

"I see you already helped yourself to an order," Sophia commented, softly chuckling and pointing at Mandy's cup.

Instantly snapping out of her daze, Mandy replied, "Uhh, yeah. I had to order something to sit and wait for you...."

"Not a problem, dear," Sophia told her as she rose to her feet, "I'm going to order something. Any suggestions?"

"They have a wonderful selection of teas," Mandy exclaimed, "I got myself a berry herbal tea."

"Delightful, I think that's what I will get as well," Sophia stated, winking at Mandy and venturing off to the counter.

Mandy was left frozen from Sophia's reaction, looking down at the table and analyzing the interaction. Does she know? Mandy thought, beginning to panic a little and shaking her head as she fought the anxiety that was brewing up inside her chest. This was crazy, she had a husband and two beautiful children. How could she be falling for someone else... Let alone another woman she barely even knew.

"It's delicious," Sophia announced as she sat back down at the table.

Mandy remained quiet and took a sip of her tea, going for another but quickly freezing as she felt something brush up against her leg. She quickly looked down and saw Sophia's high heel rub up against her leg.

"What are you doing?!" She hissed, instantly standing up and scanning the cafe to see if anyone was watching the two of them. The other guests were too interested in each other or their electronics, but it didn't set Mandy's racing mind at ease.

"Something the matter?" Sophia asked with a frown.

"This is a small town..." Mandy told her as she looked Sophia in the eyes frantically, "People pick up on things quick around here."

"If anyone noticed it's because you are making a scene," Sophia said in a monotone voice and took a sip of her tea.

"I don't know what you are doing, or what gave you the impression that what you are doing is okay," Mandy scolded, "But I'm a happily married woman."

"Are you sure?" Sophia responded with a sly smile, "Sure you have a beautiful house and children, but are you really happy living the life you are?"

Mandy froze for a moment and then asked, "How the hell do you know about my house and children?!"

Sophia remained silent and continued to drink her tea.

"Forget it, I'm leaving," Mandy scoffed and headed towards the exit. She paused at the door and looked back at where she was sitting, watching as Sophia remained in place, casually drinking her tea. Mandy left the cafe, slamming the door behind her.