Status: Ongoing

Nina

But Then You Were One As Well

Fernando

The lights blinded him, reporters shouting his name to get the ‘money shot’. Holding his new blue shirt aloft, his hand frozen in handshake with Carlo Ancelotti. Fernando sighed, this was always the part of the job that he hated. His passion was football, everything football except the media, the fame.

He took a seat at the press table. This is going to be a long day , he thought, as the onslaught of questions began.

‘And lastly, Fernando, Peter Gates of the BBC. What are you hopes for the rest of the season here at Chelsea?’ Fernando remembered his sentences from the PR meeting previous, reciting word for word what his manager, José Domingo, had said to him. Thanking the press, the team left the room.

Grinning, Fernando threw himself onto the closest chair and looked around him. He had made it, to London, his life was about to change – he could feel it. Something was bringing him to the city.

‘Nando!’ Nina laughed as he threw her over his shoulder, her feet kicking out behind him. They both laughed, Fernando placing her back down on the sand, moving on top of her. Placing a small kiss on her lips, he moved a stray lock of blonde hair from her eyes. The laughter stopped as they stared into the other’s eyes. As far as they were both concerned, if this was all life had to offer then they were happy.

Fernando had never met a girl like Nina in his life. She was so full of life, beautiful. His smile faltered, ‘What’s wrong, Nando?’ Nina’s brow creased. He sighed, remembering the meeting with José earlier that day. Liverpool FC would be a great opportunity for Fernando. Sure, it would mean moving away from Madrid, but it would mean moving away from Nina. She had her life here: university and friends. He couldn’t ask her to give up all that for him.

He had decided that he would break the news to her that evening. Not wanting to ruin the moment on the beach. He leant down, placing his lips on hers more forcefully. He could feel her body mould against his own, her breath quickened. This is what he would remember.
.

Fernando shook the memory from his mind. Nina. . He longed to speak to her again, to kiss her. So many times, he had picked up the phone ready to dial her number. Every time he had stopped himself. Why would she want to speak to him? The way he had left. Surely, she would have moved on by now.

Fernando wondered if she had managed to make it back to London. A wave of hope rushed over him.

Nina

‘We do not need to learn of current football affairs in work, Nina.’ Her cheeks turned red as she closed down the BBC coverage of Fernando and his move to Chelsea. Her stomach was still turning since the night before when she had seen him on the screen at the bar. He still looked as handsome as she remembered, his hair was shorter but it suited him. What she would give to be able to run her
fingers through it.

His smile seemed different. She had put it down to the stress of the media. He had always hated the press but as he always said, ‘It’s a price I am willing to pay, Nena.’

The couple walked hand in hand down the main street. Pausing at shop windows, peering inside.
Two weeks ago, Fernando had become a star player for Atletico Madrid and the press had lingered around him like flies. He hated the attention, especially since it affected his relationship with Nina. She was not bothered by the press but he felt that they couldn’t act like a normal couple, nor did he want her mixed into this unwanted fame.

‘Fernando! Is this your girlfriend?’ Cameras flashed around them. ‘What’s your name sweetheart?’,
‘Are you with him for his money’, ‘What’s it like being a superstar, Fernando?’. He grabbed her hand tight and pulled her through the group of paparazzi, his hand covering his eyes. The couple broke out into a run, taking the paparazzi by surprise and managed to gain enough space between them to duck into an abandoned car factory on the edge of the street.

Fernando pushed her up against the wall, putting his forehead to hers. ‘You know that was a little bit fun,’ he smirked. Smiling back at him she closed the space between them. Their bodies fit together perfectly. Nina arched her back towards him, earning a groan from Fernando. Their pulses were racing, anybody could have walked into the factory at any point but the couple didn’t care, they were caught in the moment.


Nina was brought back to reality when her phone buzzed in her pocket.

Nina, launch party. Saturday, 19:00. Covent Gardens. Laura.

Laura. Her boss’ assistant. Nina worked in a product development business, bringing new designs and products to market. It wasn’t exactly the career she had seen herself in but it paid the bills and occasionally an upmarket launch party with an open bar. Attendance compulsory.

Nina forwarded the text to Mari. The friends regularly attended these events together, taking the opportunity to dress up, drink free wine and make fun of people taking the event seriously. Mari had been a good friend to Nina when she needed her. Always at the end of a phone when Nina would call to talk about the latest breakup. Nina couldn’t describe why the three relationships she had had whilst back in London had not worked out, they were all handsome, funny and charming but every time she had compared them to him .

So many times, she had wanted to pick up the phone and ring him. To see if he was thinking about her, to see if he missed her and wanted to see her again. But each time she had hung up the phone. He had left her standing in the middle of their apartment in Madrid, he had left her behind. He obviously did not care about her like she had cared for him, as much as it pained her to think, she had lost him forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to subscribers, comments and recommendations.
I kept the sex scenes to a minimum in this chapter - not an issue for me to write if you would like? Please let me know if you would like them included.

Thanks for reading.