A Sleepless Study

3

Yugyeom straightened his sweater and glanced in the mirror again, he was meeting Sora to put some of the finishing touches on the paper. He ran his fingers through his hair again hoping to tame it a bit more. He was relieved that his roommate wasn't there to tease him about his crush. He looked at his phone and realized he should probably go grab them a table at the coffee shop, Sora would be getting out of her Biology final in under fifteen minutes. He grabbed his phone and quickly left his room.

Sora felt her body starting to rebel against her as she tried to take her test she had actually gotten an hour or two of sleep before the test. Her eyes slid shut again as she tried to focus, she forced them open and finished writing her short response. Just as she finished the time was called on the exam, she let out a sigh and blinked a few times. She passed her exam over to her left and began to pack her things into her bag, she had a meeting with Yugyeom to work on their Organic Chemistry paper. She picked up her bag and stood up unsteadily.
"Sora-ssi?" Her classmate questioned.
"Ne?" She mumbled as she straightened up.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah. I'm fine, thanks for worrying."
She quickly turned to leave the lecture hall.

Yugyeom tugged on his sweaters edge as he took a seat in the coffee shop, Jimin humming softly in the background.
"Meeting Sora here?" Jimin grinned from his counter.
"Y-yeah." Yugyeom blushed and looked away.
"Aww Yugyeomie~! I didn't realize you had such a large crush on her."
"I don't!"
"Hm...okayy." Jimin snickered.
The bell on the door chimed and Yugyeom looked up to see Sora slowly make her way inside the shop.
She waved slightly and took her bag over to the table.
"Yugyeom-ah." She smiled.
"Hi." He grinned back.
"I'll be right back, I'm gonna get some coffee."
She turned away from him and walked to the counter, a slight stumble in her step.
He felt the worry bubble up in his stomach, she wasn't as "okay" as she continually said she was.

She placed her order and Jimin watched her with a rather concerned expression.
She swiped her card and waited beside the counter as he poured her an iced coffee.
From where Yugyeom sat he could see a slight tremor in her hands as she waited for the caffeine. After the coffee had been handed to her she took a sip from the straw and made her way back to the table.
"Okay so I think we're just in need of editing now. I got the rest typed up last night."
"Didn't you just have a final?"
"Yeah, but I couldn't sleep so I finished typing."
Couldn't sleep? She looked like she could use four days worth of sleep.
She opened her laptop and quickly logged into it.

Sora had never in her life been quite so aware of someone's eyes on her, she could feel both Jimin's and Yugyeom's. She felt her body trying to give up on her, she quickly consumed more of her coffee and spoke.
"So for this paragraph I think that we could inject this quote. I noticed it while re-reading."
He nodded and scanned through the textbook in his lap again.
"We could use that or we could go with the Mendeleev quote from page 291."
"Okay, that sounds better." She began to type, her fingers slipping from key to key. She tried to keep her mind on what she was supposed to type rather than the idea that Yugyeom was cute and she was tired.

The pre-med slowly closed her laptop, her coffee now empty.
"I'll email it to you?"
"Yeah that sounds good, you should rest."
"Nah, I'm fine." She chuckled.
As she rose to her feet she felt her body begin to wobble, her head spinning. Before she could realize what was happening she felt her body slowly falling. Everything passed her eyes in slow motion, she couldn't make out the voices that shouted out around her. She felt the impact of the floor and the world went dark.

Yugyeom stared wide-eyed at the girl laying on the ground before him, he yanked his phone out of his pocket and dialed the ambulance.
He sank to his knees beside her, Jimin rushing from behind the counter over to the two of them.
As soon as he had finished talking to the telephone operator he looked over to Jimin.
"They'll be here in a few minutes." He mumbled, carefully he raised her head to check that she was still breathing.
A soft, rather labored sounding breath left her lips.
Carefully he rested her head in his lap, the idea of her hurting really got to him.
"You're gonna go to the hospital with her, right?" Jimin questioned.
"Yeah. I need to. It's my fault...I should have made her let me do it."
"You can't blame yourself for this."

Her pale skin almost matched the white cotton sheets that lined the hospital bed, the dark purple and blue under her eyes contrasting starkly. Her dark hair messily sprawled across the pillow. Her fingers coiled around the railing of her bed.
Cautiously Yugyeom reached out towards her hand, the moment his hand touched hers she relaxed her grip on the bed and her hand fell into his.
"Sora, you shouldn't do this to yourself. For a medical student you aren't very good at being healthy." He whispered to himself.
"I'm sorry." Her voice startled him.
"Y-you're awake."
"Yes. I'm very sorry. I really didn't mean for this to happen."
"Why didn't you just cancel on me and get some rest, or not go to video game club. Your health is more important than all of that."
The math major fought to keep the frustration and fear out of his voice, but the end of his sentence cracked.
"I-I know that."

The doctor entered the room and looked at the pair of young adults.
"Miss. Nam, I'm concerned with the amount of caffeine you've been ingesting and the lack of sleep you've been getting."
Sora dropped her gaze to her hand, which was now intertwined with Yugyeom's.
"You're her boyfriend?" The doctor asked.
"W-what?" Sora stuttered.
"I-Um."
"Well, I need you to make sure that she rests and stays away from caffeine for at least a month. She'll have to come and check up with me in two weeks time. Please take care of her well."
With that the doctor quickly walked from the room.

After the IV was removed and the pair was released from the hospital Yugyeom carefully led her to the train.
"I'll bring you to my dorm for a while, you don't have a roommate right? No one to watch over you."
"I-I'll be fine." She mumbled, a light blush on her cheeks.
She met his eyes and saw worry in them.
"Please, let me help you. This is my fault and I want to help you get better."
Her eyes shot up, how was this his fault? If anything it was solely hers, she was to spineless to actually tell people she needed rest.
"It's not your fault." She finally mumbled.

"Here, you must be cold." He commented thoughtfully, he pulled his hoodie off and passed it to her.
"You'll get cold." She mumbled.
"No, I'm okay." He said softly, he carefully pulled it over her head and smiled as her head poked out of the opening.
She slipped her arms in after a moment and he smiled at how big it was on her. She was far smaller than he was height-wise.
The sleeves fell a few inches past her fingertips, the hoodie itself fell halfway down her thighs.
"Thank you." She whispered.
"Of course." He whispered back, a blush falling on his cheeks.

The pair got out at the station next to the school, it was late in the evening.
Sora's eyes began to droop again, as if he could sense the drop in energy that she already had Yugyeom looked over at her.
"Here, get on my back."
"W-what?" She slurred, exhaustion in her voice apparent.
"Get on my back, I'll carry you. You're gonna pass out again."
"I-I can-"
"Nope."
Without another word Yugyeom knelt in front of her, she slowly wrapped her arms around his neck.
Her entire face heated up again, his back was warm even without his hoodie. He carefully wound his arms around her thighs and stood up straight. She could feel her eyes drift shut once more.

Yugyeom felt her body go limp against his back as he walked onto campus. Her head fell into the crook of his neck, her breath flowing into his ear.
He let out a quiet sigh.
"Sora-ah..." He whispered and shook his head slightly, he wished he could tell her his feelings.
That he had developed a huge crush on her over the time in their class, he would but she was working so hard and having to deal with another person's feelings wasn't in her timeline. She wanted to become a Pediatric Cardiologist, those where the only hearts she should have to worry about. He turned towards the path to his dorm room.
As he walked across the quad he could feel eyes on them. He tried to brush them off but he could feel his face heating up more and more.

Finally he entered the dorm building, he was lucky to see that Seokjin wasn't in the lobby of the dorm. He made his way to the elevator and pressed the button up to the fifth floor. The ride up was empty save for the math major and the medical student sound asleep on his back. The doors dinged open and he was met with Bambam right before his eyes.
"Before you say anything, make it quiet. She hasn't slept properly for two weeks. She was in the hospital and they asked me to look over her."
"I-Okay." That was the first time in his life that Yugyeom had ever seen his best friend speechless.
Yugyeom stepped out of the elevator and walked towards his room, he carefully opened the door to his room and walked to the bed. Bambam shut the door behind them and watched as the other boy set Sora down on the bed.

Sora could feel her heavy eyes strain to open, the feeling of warm sheets surrounded her. There was a gentle tapping of keys in the background of the room she was in. Her eyes opened and she stared up at the off-white ceiling that was above her. She was to exhausted to actually roll over, or even sit up. Her limbs felt like one ton weights attached to her body. The tapping died away and a head of messy looking black hair came into view.
"Oh, you're awake again." Yugyeom commented with a smile, "Would you like some water?"
"Yes please." She croaked out.
He vanished from her line of sight and she could hear the clinking of the cupboard in the distance. The tap turned on and off, he returned to her.
"Here let me help you." He mumbled, he carefully slid an arm under her back and helped her sit up.
"Thank you." She murmured, seeing his face so close to hers causing her face to heat up.
She dropped her gaze to her lap.

Yugyeom could feel his entire being heating up, he wasn't sure what to even say to her.
"Yugyeom-ah?"
"N-ne?"
"Thank you for taking care of me, this shouldn't have to be your job. I'm very sorry that it came to this. If you'd prefer, I can ask Amber to watch me..." She trailed off, still staring at her lap.
"No! No, I feel like I should do this. I'm very sorry that I pushed all the work onto you. I should have done more. I just finished editing the paper, I'll have my friend Jinyoung read over it to make sure it's perfect. If anyone should watch over you it should be me, I want to make sure you're okay."
He didn't realize until after he'd said it, how embarrassing what he'd said was.
Just to make things more awkward, the door opened to the dorm and Jungkook walked into the room.
His eyebrow shot up and he nodded passively to the pair.
"Hello, Sora-ssi." Jungkook commented, "Did you finally ask her out?"
The question was shot towards Yugyeom, who in turn froze.
"A-ask me out?" Sora whispered.
"I-uhm. Can I talk to you out in the hall, Jungkook?"

"No, I haven't. I wasn't planning on doing that."
"Then why is she in our dorm, in your bed?"
"She was hospitalized, she hasn't been sleeping."
"I could have told you that." Jungkook commented with a roll of his eyes.
"Why did you have to go and ask that? Now it's gonna be awkward between us! She has to much on her plate, you told me that and I agree. She doesn't have time to deal with my emotions too."
The math major turned on his heel and walked back into the dorm where he could see Sora sitting wide-eyed on his bed.
He'd managed to forget how thin every door in the building was, she'd heard him...all of it.
"I think I'll go to Jimin and Taehyung's dorm, see ya later." Jungkook quickly fled the scene.

Sora felt her heart pick up, he liked her too?
"I don't want you to think that you're obligated to feel the same way." Yugyeom finally said, after a few moments of silence.
"But-I do. I don't want to always worry about school-"
"You're pre-med. That's something that is so difficult and stressful, worrying about someone's emotions would just make it worse. It'll be okay, really. I don't mind I-"
"Yugyeom-ah!" She cut him off, she couldn't believe what he was even saying.
"I like you a lot, I have ever since we met in class. I don't want you to brush off my feelings and yours because you think you should for MY classes. If I want to date you, I'm gonna date you!"
The room was quiet after she began speaking. She could feel the nerves swell again.
"Really?" He finally questioned.
"Why would I lie?"

A rush of happiness passed through Yugyeom's chest as he rushed forward and wrapped his arms around Sora.
"Thank you." He mumbled into her hair.

The door the to dorm opened again, Yugyeom looked up from his laptop to see Jungkook carefully walking into the room. Sora's head resting against the side of Yugyeom's chest, he'd decided he'd rather keep her warm than be shy about it. She was sound asleep again, he was finishing re-editing the paper to the parameters that Jinyoung had sent him. He met his roommate's eyes and saw the surprise on his face.
"You're welcome." Jungkook whispered, a grin on his face.