Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Thirteen.

Alex gets home from being with Rian a lot later than he anticipated, at about eleven at night. After the McDonalds trip, the two went on a drive and fucked around in a Target to take the formers mind off of things. He even got to hear Rian rant about his girlfriend, which wasn’t uncommon. It was cute, though.

He’s a good boy and does his homework, and then he spends some time browsing Tumblr and Instagram. He liked to look at the cute boys and the music recommendations that came through sometimes. Instagram had a lot of shitty memes and whatnot, but he tried to ignore those for the most part.

It’s a spur of the moment decision when he decides to check Skype. There was no reason for doing it, as his only friends on there were Rian, his mom, and John. He’s somewhat surprised to see the green dot next to John’s name, and immediately he thinks back to the conversation that he had with his close friend over fries and McFlurries. He should talk to John.

The Arizonian deserved at least some kind of answer to why he hadn’t messaged him for the entirety of the day, despite seeing his messages.

That being said, Alex finds himself clicking on John’s name, and then hitting the call button. It was almost as if it was expected, because the call begins to connect in mere seconds. When it does, Alex’s heart almost stops. There the beautiful, charming boy is, sat at his desk with his notebook between himself and the computer, a guitar on his lap. Alex watches him put it aside, seemingly on a stand.

“H-hey…” Alex speaks up, completely nervous all of a sudden. He didn’t expect this scene to unfold in front of him, much less see John put everything aside just to talk to him.

He’s getting more nervous by the second, his attention solely on John’s hands and the way those long fingers curl around the leather bound notebook, closing it and pushing it aside. They wrap around the front of the laptop, and the computer is pulled closer. It reminds Alex of his dream and the way his fingers had touched him, everywhere, and suddenly he can’t keep his mouth shut.

“I had a wet dream about you!” He blurts out, and then his face turns bright red. He slams his head down on his desk with a groan, not because of the pain of the action but because of the fact that he just basically yelled that out of nowhere. John’s eyes widen, and he basically chokes on his own spit. He had to have just imagined that sentence.

Alex did not just say that to him.

“You what?!” He nearly cries, eyes staying on Alex, who sits up in a second. His face is bright red, and that’s confirmation enough that he really just said that.

“I-I had a wet dream about you...” Alex repeats again, looking away from the computer screen as he trails off. He was embarrassed, mostly because he could see John’s reaction. He guessed they were on the same page, at least. “I’m n-not really sure why, but it happened, and… I was so embarrassed, dude. That’s why I didn’t talk to you today...”

John really isn’t sure what to say at that point, truthfully. He’s a little shocked, he didn’t expect that kind of answer to why Alex didn’t say anything to him. “Honestly, I thought you were mad at me and hated my guts, so I’m just glad that’s not the case.”

There’s a moment of silence and John purses his lips, reluctantly adding, “And I would be lying if I said I haven’t thought of you like that before.”

Now it’s John’s turn to blush, joining in with the boy on the other side of the screen, and he glances away from the screen to his journal. He kept it by him because it was comforting, and right now he didn’t want to look at Alex. Not after admitting what he had.

There’s another couple seconds of silence, and then Alex can’t help but laugh. It’s a quiet, nervous laugh, and he follows up with, “Seriously? Then… let’s forget i said that. I’m sorry I ignored you.”

John wasn’t upset in the slightest now that he had heard the explanation. He was more relieved than anything else anyway. He looks at his webcam and smiles, chuckling, “It’s okay, darlin’. I understand.”

“So…. what does that make us then?” It’s spoken after a few seconds of silence from Alex, and John actually doesn’t know how to respond to that. He goes with a shrug for the time being. He didn’t think that it made them anything, but he didn’t want to say that to Alex.

“Do you want to be something?” John asks, honestly unsure of what Alex wanted from him. He was unsure of what he wanted himself. If anything, he was both asking himself and Alex. Was John even ready for some kind of pseudo long distance relationship? Would Alex even want to do that?

There isn’t even hesitation from Alex, and he nods with a quiet and barely audible, “Yeah, I think so.”

John isn’t sure what to say, but he decides to be honest with both himself and Alex here. He leans back in his chair, eyes set on his camera. It was the only way that he could look right at Alex without physically being there with him.

“Me too.”