Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Sixteen.

John honestly should have expected that he wouldn’t hear the end of it. This was Garrett, for fuck’s sake. Once he has something to tease his friends about, he wouldn’t let it go for years. He wasn’t someone to just let things like that go. The two were sat in the car with Jared, Garrett still cackling as John sat in the back of the car with bright red cheeks.

“Dude, you shoulda seen it! He was so fuckin’ embarrassed! I’ve never seen someone shut a laptop as fast as he did!”

“You’re one to talk, G. You’re the one who got caught masturbating to slave Leia,” Jared sighed, trying to defend John, but he was laughing harder than he ever had in his entire life. With how close John and Jared were, this wasn’t the first time that the former had been caught in a situation like this. A masturbation situation.

He was still scarred.

Either way, he would defend John, but not to the ends of the Earth with this topic. He would definitely still tease John when the two were alone.

“Dude, I was 14! What else was I going to beat my meat with?!”

“Uh, I don’t know, something normal?” John interjected from the back seat, trying to gain some of his pride back. That was going to be hard at this point.

“You both know that millions of other nerds have done it at this point. It’s been what, 40 years? I’m not the first, and I’m definitely not gonna be the last.”

“Can we please stop talking about jacking off to Star Wars?” Jared suddenly spoke up again. He heard enough about Star Wars, and he didn’t need to hear about it now and in this particular context.

“Fine, but Garrett has to stop reminding me of what he saw me doing every five seconds.”

“You buy me a pizza and we’re even,” Garrett bargained, but muttered, “Not like it’s going to erase the image of your penis from my brain.”

John pretended not to hear the second part.

The three of them sat in silence for the majority of the drive, but there were jokes from Garrett here and there. John was thankful for it, because he hated awkward silences.

Once they arrived and parked, they made their way into the pizza parlour where Pat and Kennedy sat in a booth. They were all at the point of friendship where it didn’t matter if a casual date was interrupted, and so they all squeezed into the booth.

John was so grateful that his cheeks were finally a normal color again, until Garrett suddenly exclaimed, “Guys, you won’t believe what I just saw.”

A groan came from the older redhead in the group, and John’s eyes narrowed as he hissed, “We just made a deal! Traitor!”

That didn’t stop Garrett. Apparently, nothing did. The slender boy didn’t even try to pay attention to the words being said as he abruptly stood, whisking around and storming out the doors again. He just wanted a peaceful dinner with his best friends, but it was obvious that wasn’t going to happen today.

John wasn’t outside long before he saw Ken walk out, his eyes wide. He wasn’t completely sure what was going on, but he was pretty damn concerned.

“You alright man?” He asked, crossing his arms as he walked closer to him.

“Yeah, just... Garrett being a dick.”

“What about it? Seems pretty normal for him.”

“He walked in on me and Alex having phone sex. Or at least trying to. We didn’t get that far before we were interrupted…”

“John?” Kennedy asked, voice full of worry. walking closer as he gave a concerned look to John. “You know he’s probably just jealous, right?”

“Of who? Does he want to--”

“No, not that you’re taken. He’s never been in a real relationship before and, y’know, you have Alex, Pat and I are together, Jared’s with Tessa, so…”

“So he feels left out?”

“Yeah, more or less,” Ken shrugs, and then takes his eyes off of John. He wasn’t one hundred percent sure that this was what was happening, but it was most likely why Garrett felt the need to be such a dick about the situation that John was clearly uncomfortable about.

John could understand that. He used to feel the same way.

The two stood outside the pizza parlour in a comfortable silence, and then John was brought out of his thoughts by his best friend pulling him in for a hug. It’s tight, but he doesn’t even try to complain. He accepts it and wraps his arms back around Ken’s waist, a small smile appearing on his face.

Pat steps outside moments later, two pizza boxes in hand. Jared and Garrett were nowhere to be seen. Before anything can be asked, Pat speaks up, making Kennedy pull away from the hug.

“So…” he starts, “J and Gar are going to stay and have some pizza, but I figured maybe you two would want to go back to my place.”

He’s smiling, but then again he’s always smiling. It’s like it’s permanently etched onto his face. He was pretty happy about everything, what seemed to be all the time.

Actually, that seemed to be a normal Kirch trait. Whenever the other boys was around they were all smiles constantly. Pat and his mom were the usual culprits, always smiling, laughing, and overall nice to be around. He could see why Kennedy would so easily fall for a family (and mainly a boy) who was so incredibly happy.

With this in mind, John nodded in agreement. He knew Kennedy was in, so it was all up to him.

The three of them were in Pat’s car in no time, John in the back seat once more. He never minded, and he honestly didn’t feel like a third wheel since he had gotten with Alex.

Alex.

He suddenly remembered that they hadn’t talked, and he reached into his pocket to see if he brought his phone along. Luckily, he felt it, and so he grabbed it and unlocked it as quickly as he could. iMessage was open in no time, a text from Alex sitting and waiting for him.

my dick is sad

He couldn’t help the round of laughter that escaped, and he chose to ignore the curious and knowing looks he received from the front seats.

I’m sorry, love.
G was being a dick.
I had to tend to his pizza cravings.

what about my dick cravings?????

Dick cravings?
At least you can’t expose me to everyone I know if I don’t do everything you say.
I think.

oooooo yeah yikes that’s pretty bad

He was being an asshole when we went out anyway.
So no pizza for him.
And now I’m with Pat and Kenny like the third wheel I was born to be!! <3 <3

fuck him up boo
get me some pizza i’m lonely and i’m better than him


When we meet you’ll get all the pizza and dick you want.
Hey, we just got to Pat’s.
Can I call you later?

yeah, duh it’s just me and myself and my dog here tonight so calling would be beyond dope

Maybe this time nobody will walk in on us.
;)
Xo.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!
Life kicks ass.