Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Twenty Two.

Those four words linger in the back of John’s mind for the next couple hours, especially while he sits in his composition class. He can’t focus, and he takes to doodling in his notebook until he’s let out of class, where he immediately reaches for his phone. It’s been a while since he’s tweeted, so he types one out and sends it without thinking.

@johnmaine:

This is your brain speaking, I advise you not to worry.


On his way back to the dorm, he’s at war with his mind. Should he text Alex? Did the other have his number blocked? Should he just… wait to see what happens? As soon as he opens his messages, he gets one from the boy he that was causing all this anxiety. He sits on a bench that’s in his path to reply.

let’s meet up. know anywhere?

There’s a cool coffee place down the street.

On the left, next to the science building.

They have good lattes.

of course you found the #edgy coffee/tea whatever place.

the grind?

yeah, meet me there in a couple minutes. i know you’re out of class


How do you know that I’m out of class?


John stays sitting down for a couple minutes, going back and forth between looking at his phone and watching people walk by, but soon he realizes he’s not going to get an answer. Of course he isn’t. He isn't even sure why he expected one in the first place. He’ll just have to assume Alex paid attention to the times he leaves and comes back, just like he does.

Letting out a huff, he stands from the bench and goes to pocket his phone. At least, he tries to, when it vibrates to indicate a new notification. He pauses, looking down.

do you want bubble tea?

It makes John smile almost immediately, replying with a quick yes. He never actually had it before, but he knew what it was. And Alex was offering, so he would be stupid to turn it down. After responding, he shoves his phone back into his pocket for real and starts the walk to the Grind.

Walking there place didn’t take very long, thankfully. It was close to his last class.

When he enters the small coffee shop, he almost instantly spots Alex already seated in the corner with two cups of bubble tea. John’s - the one he assumes is his since it’s across the table, anyway - is a different color than the other boy’s but he figures it has to do with the taste. The one between Alex’s hands is a weird green, and upon looking at it, there are small black things at the bottom.

Sitting down in the seat straight across from Alex, the green-eyed boy examines his own drink. It looks like an iced coffee, but with those same things at the bottom - and with a wide straw. He furrows his brows and soon asks, “What are those?”

Alex looks like he’s trying not to laugh, though he lets out a soft snort.

“Have you never seen boba tea before?”

John feels stupid when he shakes his head. He had heard of it before, not actually seen it in person.

“They’re pearls. Like... Tapioca pearls. They’re good, seriously. A little strange to get used to, yeah, but I dig it,” He pauses, and then continues with, “It’s not for everyone, so let me know if you don’t want it.”

“Yeah, okay,” He says softly, lifting his plastic cup up. He’s hesitant, but he soon starts drinking it - and yeah, it isn’t his thing. The tapioca sticks to his tongue in an uncomfortable way and the flavor of the tea is too sweet. He forces himself to keep drinking it, though, and when he sets the drink back down he forces a smile.

It really doesn’t last long.

Before he can stop himself he’s making a face and sticking his tongue out, one of the little balls of tapioca rolling off of it and bouncing off of the table before landing on the floor, next to his foot. His face goes bright red, and he pushes his hands in front of his face.

Alex, of course, is in hysterics. He’s laughing so hard that he almost falls off of his chair, smacking his hand down onto the table a couple of times. It makes John pull his hands off of his face, and yeah, he definitely can’t stop himself from laughing too. The blonde’s laughter is just so contagious and so beautiful and… it had been so long since he’s heard it.

John’s laughter dies down as he watches the way that Alex leans back in his chair, head tilted backward and mouth wide open as he laughs. Soon, way too soon in John’s opinion, he’s calm again and sitting normally, reaching up to wipe away the tears forming in his eyes.

“What are you staring at, J?” The nickname falls from Alex’s mouth before he even can stop it, but he tries to ignore it and mask it with a smirk.

“Oh, I, uh. Uhm, nothing,” John mumbles.

Alex shrugs, knowing the answer. He’s just a smug son of a bitch. He clears his throat and basks in the silence for a moment before jumping right into the serious stuff.

“So, we need to talk.”

John’s only answer is a nod.

“I’ll start off with…. with the fact that I’m sorry. I was a little childish and petty. I just… think I was bitter. And mad. No, I know I was mad,” He glances to John before looking out the window, “I… I know you weren’t intentionally being private. You’re just closed off, and I couldn’t understand it.”

Another nod.

“But at the same time, John, you keep too much to yourself sometimes. You just need to let me in, you know? I adore you and all, but you gotta.”

When he looks back to John, the boy is drawing shapes on the table with his index finger. His brows are furrowed, but Alex knows that he’s listening by the hum he gets in return. He’s thinking, and it’s obvious.

“I… I’m sorry, Al,” He starts, almost whispering it, “I never… I never meant to hurt you or hide anything from you. Coming here and surprising you was meant to be romantic, but I think I just didn’t realize how harmful it was to you. And Tim? I was just so fuckin’ embarrassed about that relationship.”

John chuckles, and forces himself to make eye contact with Alex as he continues with an, “I’m sorry, I really am.”

“I mean, the way we met was weird. I think I should have expected the whole shutting me out bulllshit. I forgive you, though, okay? Maybe… just maybe, we can make this work again. If we go slow and you don’t close yourself off,” There’s a hint of a smile, “And please, don’t surprise me like that again, even if you’re trying to be romantic.”

“I won’t. I think I learned my lesson.”

“So… do you want to try again? Without us being childish?”

“Yeah. Let’s try again.”

“And no dumb secrets?” Alex is grinning by now, all wide and toothy as he holds a pinkie out towards John. So much for not being childish.

Either way, John reaches out to wrap his own pinkie around Alex’s.

“No secrets.”
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter before the sequel!