Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Three.

Saturday nights weren’t all that exciting to John. Neither was any other day of the week, but he never really took notice of how lonely or bored he was until it was the weekend and he was spending it alone.

It was his own fault, though. He had friends that invited him to go out, and this weekend in particular it had been two of his friends that were together, Pat and Kennedy. Maybe John would have accepted their offer to go bowling if it wasn’t going to be just them and then him, but he really didn’t feel like third wheeling. That might feel even worse than him spending his night sitting alone in bed, even Alex not responding to his messages.

Needless to say, his chest sort of hurt from him thinking about just how lonely he was right now.

There were too many thoughts in his mind to even keep track of, but there was one line really sticking out to him, and so he decides to do what he’s best at and what he always does - take his phone out and tweet it.

It only takes a second for him to tweet out the words.

Alex hadn’t been on his phone all night.

Instead, he was out at a party that his friend Jack had dragged him to. Not that he wasn’t having fun, though. Actually, it was the opposite. He had downed more shots than he could keep count of, he had one beer, and then he had taken a body shot of off Zack’s washboard abs with all of his buddies standing around and cheering him on.

That was pretty enjoyable for his little gay heart.

Now he was sitting on a couch watching a game of truth or dare with a beer in his hand. He’s interrupted by his phone vibrating in his pocket and he sighs, reaching forward to set his beer on the ground beside his feet. There was no doubt that the bottle would be forgotten about and knocked over in no time.

Reading over the screen with his eyes squinted, he sees a couple notifications from earlier in the day, and then he sees the one that had caused the vibration.

John OCV tweeted:
Why can’t you allow yourself to be happy?


Of course Alex was concerned, but he was also way too drunk to process said concern, and instead he opens up his messages with John with no hesitation, fingers moving across his messages.

Across the country, John had been laying in bed with some sad indie music playing softly, checking his DMs with a certain brunette over and over with some hope that there would be a new message. He wasn’t quite sure why he kept checking or why he was so concerned with the other boy, but there was a tugging at his heart and a strong desire to talk to him.

Luckily, this time around, when he opens up the messages with Alex there are three circles, the ones indicating that hey, something was being typed out. That itself made John’s eyes go wide and his heart beat just a little faster than normal.

He had been waiting all day for something to come from Alex.

whabgs wrong joohnathon ???

That’s not even my name.
Maybe I should be the one asking you that question.


i ‘m ffiiiine lol.
s eei eveb asded a perido.

You don’t really sound fine.

but ya can’ t evven hesr me

Okay. But I can see that you really don’t seem fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Johhn john jonh
guess whst i did

What did you do.

lmao itook a sho t offmy frind zacks WAHSBOARD AABS
fuck???
[mygay heart cant tae it

Huh.
Fun.


aa reyou a homophione???

I’m gay.
So obviously not.


After John sends that message, he takes a moment to think. For some reason, after hearing about what Alex did, a pain crawls through his chest and he honestly just feels like crying. Which is big for him, because crying wasn’t really his thing.

He lets out a quiet sigh and wonders what exactly he got himself into following this kid.

Maybe tomorrow would be better though, and maybe Alex would feel bad and apologise, or something along those lines. He can’t, for some reason, stay mad for too long. He can still be somewhat salty about it though, and so he tweets again.

@johnmaine:
It’s alright to be alone.


After tweeting that, he decides that he’ll try to go to bed earlier tonight instead of letting himself be alone and miserable.

Something inside of him makes him pull up those messages again, and he types one last thing out for the night before he sets his phone aside, not even wanting to hear (or see, really) anything that has to be said by Alex at this point. Not right now, at least.

Be safe.
Don’t drink too much.
Or drink and drive.
Night.