Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Five.

When Monday rolled around, it was hard for Alex to get out of bed. It was hard for him to get through the school day, and he just wanted to get home and crawl into bed for a nap. He does just that, actually, but only because John had gotten his phone taken away; and the older boy knew this only because he had received a messy DM saying, “GOTTASGO PHONEGETTIG TAKEN BYE>.”

Alex was questioning John’s age already, since he didn’t seem like a middle school kid and he seemed extremely mature, so he was either in high school or college. He would totally be okay with having a crush on an older college boy. He wouldn’t mind having a sugar daddy these days.

Needless to say, Alex was bored out of his mind with John still in class, Zack having sports to go to and Jack for some reason wanting to cheer him on, and Rian was… well, he was wherever Cassadee was. They were basically attached at the hip, just like Jack and Zack had become lately.

Alex was beginning to feel like some sort of fifth wheel these days.

His nap was pretty great if he did say so himself, and he definitely needed to catch up on sleep after staying up countless nights to keep his new (maybe even best) friend company.

The only reason that he woke up was because his mom was knocking on his door like crazy, yelling his name. Not in a bad way, though, more like out of excitement. It makes him basically jump out of bed to open the door, and he’s met by the face of his mother-- and an envelope. The one he had been waiting to come for months now. His first college acceptance letter - or rejection. He grabs it, anxiety spiking.

“Holy shit!” He exclaims, pulling the envelope from his mother’s hands, ignoring her yelling at him to watch his language. She then heads back downstairs, but not without calling, “You better tell me if you got accepted.” Of course he agrees.

To be honest, he wasn’t sure if he could do this on his own, and he really wanted the support of the boy he had been becoming closer to. He wondered for a moment if John would be open to Skype, and he didn’t even think twice about if he would be or not even with Alex having never seen his face. He also doesn’t think about the time, and if the other was even out of class yet.

He grabs his phone off of his desk, and types out his first message since earlier.

JOHN
JOHN HOLY SHIT
I GOT MY FIRST COLLEGE LETTER
FROM MY FIRST CHOICE COLLEGE
WILL YOU SKYPE ME


It’s not until after he sends the messages that he realises that the idea might be dumb, and that it might be too soon for them to video call, but his fears fade away when a couple minutes later John replies, seeming like he wants to.

On the other hand, John was scared to show his face. Really scared. He didn’t like the way that he looked and he never had, but he wanted to be there for Alex. Also, he knew Alex was extremely cute, and he would love to see his face on video and not just in a selfie. Especially if it turned out this letter was to accept the older boy to college.

He could just imagine what Alex looked like when he smiled and it wasn’t just in a picture.

So, of course, he ends up accepting it, even sending his Skype name.

Of course.
My username is thefifthjohn.
Call me. :)

ON IT.


In no time, John’s Skype is telling him he has an incoming video call, the annoying sound ringing in his ears. He props himself up on his bed, holding his phone farther away from his face; and then he’s answering, hoping he doesn’t look too nervous and that he doesn’t look like the tired mess that he was.

Alex had settled down at his desk, laptop with Skype open in front of him, and the second that he saw John he was taken aback. He was fucking gorgeous. Even with the quality low, he could see that John had beautiful eyes. They were either bright green or hazel, or maybe some odd mix of both, and they were staring just like Alex’s. His hair was a light brown, short strands falling in front of his face; his extremely structured face. He had a jawline for days, as they said. He even had some freckles adorning his face, and Alex was mesmerised. There was no other word to describe it.

He had even forgotten about the unopened letter sitting in front of him until John speaks up.

“Is something wrong?” Is the first thing he says, and upon hearing the words break the silence Alex snaps out of it, shaking his head as quickly as he can.

“No, no! Of course not, I just…” He trails off, not really knowing where he was going with it in the first place. He doesn’t want to admit to John that he found him absolutely breathtaking in every way. He doesn’t want to ruin what they have going for them.

John raises an eyebrow but doesn’t question it, instead asking about the letter that his friend had once been so nervous about opening. “Well, are you going to open it or what?” He asks, but it isn’t said rudely; his tone is more joking and somewhat curious.

With another nod, the letter is picked back up, and Alex tears is open without thinking. He unfolds it, eyes scanning over a few of the words before he realises.

He had been accepted to the college of his dreams.

He doesn’t continue reading. Instead, he goes back to the start, clearing his voice before he starts.

“Dear Mr. Gaskarth,” He starts, noticing the way John’s smile seems to grow. He’s not sure why, but he loves it, and he could definitely see himself calling John more in the future. Before he gets too distracted, he looks back at the letter, continuing with, “Congratulations! On behalf of the Office of Undergraduate Admission, it is my pleasure to offer your admission to Arizona State University’s upcoming class of the next semester…”

Of course, the letter continues, but Alex doesn’t continue to read. That was all he wanted and needed to hear, and right now the grin that formed on John’s face was all he needed to see. He looked proud for some reason and that warmed the older boy’s heart.

“John, I’m in!” He exclaims, even though he had already made it clear, “Oh my god, I got accepted!” He can’t help but even let out a cry of happiness, setting the letter down in front of him. He then looks back up at the boy on the screen, tears pricking at his eyes. He was so, so glad that he got to share this with John. That John wanted this.

As for John, he was glad too. He was happy that he’d accepted the Skype invitation, because he could see them doing this in the future just for fun. He wanted that, if it meant seeing Alex’s adorable face, especially when he was this happy. Even he was nearly brought to tears by the reaction the letter gets.

“I’m so proud of you,” He speaks up finally, and it’s genuine. Even Alex can tell, and once again, his heart skips a beat, and his face turns a light pink.

“Thank you so much,” Alex whispers in return, looking from the screen to the letter again. He can’t stop reading over it and the smile is nearly permanent on his face.

John, on the other side of the screen and the country, can’t stop staring at Alex. He can’t seem to tear his eyes away from the brunette and his excited expression, and his happiness was contagious it seemed. Although the words he said were more than enough, but he still wishes that he could do more to congratulate the boy he had developed some feelings for. He can’t help but yearn for him.

The two of them talk for a while once Alex snaps out of his happy trance. A really long time. As in about two hours, about everything and anything, like the fact that John was ahead and in Alex’s grade. They learn each other’s birthdays, a bunch of random facts about each other… a lot of things, really.

They only get off of Skype when Alex is being called down for both dinner and the results of the letter (though his mom probably heard him yelling) and they say their goodbyes. It takes a long time for them to actually hang up, but afterward, John can’t get the image of Alex being oh so happy out of his head.

For once, he’s okay with something being stuck in his mind.