Acid Rain

Day One

School got out June 20th, my world officially ended June 30th. Funny what can happen in 10 days. It was the last day of school and excitement was buzzing through my small town of Greensville. Ridiculous name but we live up to it, other than the splashes of color from the different houses and buildings everything was green. Trees and bushes were everywhere, it looked beautiful from afar but the closer you got the less appealing Greensville looked. Even though we were a small town, less than 1,000 people I'd say, we still managed to look like a giant city. Piles of trash would get stuck on the sides of the road, rotting and stinking up some of the more busy streets. The air constantly smelled like car exhaust even though it looked like it should smell like a sweet spring day. I miss the days when I could walk outside and smell the pine from the trees as the wind rustled the branches. No one bothered to fix any of it, no one talked about it. I think that they thought that if you just ignore it then it'll fix itself. It didn't get better, it only got worse, much much worse.

"Vivienne! Hurry up! We're going to be late!" My younger brother screeches from downstairs his voice cracking on the last word. I glance at the time and shake my head at Luther's prodding for me to hurry, we're right on time. Grabbing my black mini backpack from my unmade bed I slip it on my shoulders taking one last look in the mirror while I'm at it. As usual my face is makeup less, my pale skin and dark lips match my stormy gray eyes well enough without it in my opinion. I flick my bleached white hair over my bare shoulder and smirk. The teachers are going to have a bitch fit over my outfit. Short shorts that are a bit too short for the school's dress code show off my legs, a tank top crop top with an undead unicorn on it barely reaches the top hem of my shorts. If I move a certain way anyone looking at me will get a flash of bare stomach and a sparkly belly ring. Last but not least, my black combat boots. I never go without them. Tucked safely away in them is one of my (many) knives, just in case.

Luther screams for me again and I roll my eyes, I better get going before he has an aneurysm. I practically bounce out of my room, after today I'll only have one more year before I can get out of this stupid town. Senior year baby! I giggle to myself and slam my door shut, locking it behind me. Skipping down the stairs I walk up behind a pacing Luther, next year will be his first year in high school and I guess he's excited to be rid of his last in middle school. I tap him on the shoulder and he jumps, letting out a little squeal. He glares at me as I laugh but eventually a smile ghosts his lips.
"C'mon Lu-Lu, let's go." I toss him his lunch from the counter as we pass, stuffing mine in my bag. Mom and dad must have made them before they left. I don't even bother reading the note that was next to them on the counter, it'll say the same thing that they always do. We're leaving for the summer, sorry we can't take you/spend time with you, top secret research for the government. They're both super smart biochemistry scientists that work for the government which means they're gone more than they're home. Honestly I think they just use their jobs as an excuse to ditch us here and leave for secret vacations, but I have no proof. I practically raised Luther, we're closer than we'll ever be to our parents and I think they know that. Yet they still decide to leave. Despite all that Luther and I are well off, so it could be worse. Lu-Lu and I hop into my car and we head off to school. First I drop him at his where I tell him to have a nice day, as usual, and to have fun at his friends house. I get the house to myself tonight, score! Then I'm off to my school, my own personal hell.

Driving up to Greensville High you wouldn't notice anything special about it, it looks like a pretty cliche high school from the outside. The last inside isn't much different either. The thing that really makes Greensville High special is the students that attend here, and not necessarily special in a good way. If you aren't rich or absolutely stunning then you aren't important, and just my luck I'm neither, so that makes me number one target for Amber Wright and her posse of populars.

I park my cute little black bug in one of the empty parking spots in the back of the school. Grabbing my bag from the seat next to me I take a deep breath and hop out, closing and locking my car behind me. The sound of excited teenagers echoes across the parking lot as I walk inside, the last day of school has everyone in a good mood. I smile a thank you to a shy boy who holds the door open for me, his cheeks darken slightly in a blush and he tucks his chin into his chest to try and hide it. The hallway inside is loud, teenagers scream when they see their friends and scream some more when they tell each other their plans for the summer. I push through the sea of children to get to my first class, the sooner I get there the sooner this day will be over. Theoretically that is.

"Hey Freak!" I flinch at the unwanted nickname but quickly cover up my discomfort, putting on a mask of nonchalance and confidence I turn towards the voice with a smirk on my face, my hands tucked in my back pockets. As soon as Amber called across the hall everything went silent, almost like she pressed the mute button on a remote. The sea of teenagers part for her and her two friends as they walk towards me, all eyes on them. Amber leads the trio as usual, being the most beautiful of the three. Her dirty blonde hair is perfectly curled and her natural beauty is enhanced by the makeup she wears. The spring dress clings to her curvy frame in the perfect mix of slut and whore, the length leaving very little to the imagination. Her two followers, Bailey and Bree are dressed a lot like her. Hair, makeup, clothes, all of it looks the same. Seems like some people can't think for themselves.
By the time they get in front of me all the boys in the hallway have made drool puddles at their feet, none of them bothering to hide their obvious lust for these girls. Amber, Bailey and Bree all stand taller than me with or without heels. Me being only 5 foot 1 I have to look up to most of the people in my school. They glare down at me like they're Gods and I'm just a little ant in comparison. I raise an eyebrow at them my smirk growing into a smile when Amber's eye twitches in annoyance.

"Can I help you ladies?" The thought of insulting them for already ruining my day crossed my mind, but what kind of person would I be if I did that. I'd be a person like Amber, and like hell would I ever be like her. Bailey and Bree cross their tanned arms across their chests and smirk, flicking their hair over their shoulders at the same time. I mentally applaud them for their timing.

"Got any special plans for tonight, Freak?" Amber drags out my little nickname that she gave me the first day of freshman year. I showed up looking a lot like I do now. White hair, black clothes, the only thing I had then that I don't have now was the hopeful optimism of popularity and friends. Boy, did I get the opposite. Our spectators snicker at her question, obviously they're in on some joke that I'm not. I shrug pulling my hands out of my pockets and crossing my arms, tilting my head up at Amber.
"Uhm.. I was going to bake a cake to share with all my best friends." I try my best to throw as much sarcasm and bitch into my voice as possible, she knows I don't have anything planned and just wants to embarrass me in front of everyone. She sneers at me her hands resting on her hip, when she decides that I got the hint that she thinks I'm disgusting she flips her hair over her shoulder, a cocky smile brightening her face.

"Well, you see there's this really big end of year party going on at the lake. I'm so sorry to tell you that you're not invited, but I just thought it'd be good for your ego for you to know that we don't need you to have a good time. It's actually better if you're not there." Amber laughs daintily to herself, her minions joining in, and saunters off to class. Everyone else laughs as well, monkey see monkey do, right? I roll my eyes at the stupidity that surrounds me and walk to class.
I didn't hear about the party at the lake before today, now that I know about it it seems everyone is talking about going. I guess it was supposed to be a giant 'fuck you' kind of thing, but her biggest mistake was thinking that I cared. I will prefer to be at home than at some lake with a bunch of people that I had to see everyday for the last few months. Besides, the water there is disgusting. All the trash and pollution has just made the water so nasty that I wouldn't go in there if my life depended on it.

I walk into my first class of the day, math, just as the bell rings and smile, taking my seat. Last day, last day, last day. I repeat that in my head as people file in laughing and joking with their friends. I slight pain of jealousy hits me watching them, it's been years since I've had friends to hang out with. I shake off the feeling before it ruins my mood completely for the rest of the day. Last day, you can do this.