Acid Rain

Day Two

The last bell of the school year rings at exactly 2:00, releasing us for the summer. The school erupts in joyous screams and shouts that can probably be heard all the way across the football field. Kids grab their stuff and rush out of the class before the bell stops, not giving the teacher a chance to say "have a nice summer". Once all the kids are gone, which didn't take long, I stand from my seat and stretch. The day lasted way too long for my liking and the parking lot is going to be busier than ever with everyone saying their goodbyes, the more time I waste the better off I'll be. Grabbing my bag off the floor I wave a goodbye to Mr. Shrive, who smiles back from his desk. The halls are empty, a giant contrast from this morning. I relax when it becomes obvious that no one will be bothering me this afternoon. I take my time walking to my car, the summer heat feels nice and completely relaxes me from the stress of the year.

I melt into my car seat immediately rolling down my window when I start the car, throwing my bag back on the passenger side. I sigh in content and tie my hair up in a messy bun, pieces falling down around my face. I don't bother checking if it looks okay, everyone my age goes to Greensville High and they all hate me. Pulling out of my parking spot I start the slow crawl to get off campus, turning on some music while I'm at it. My Fall Out Boy CD starts to play and I quietly sing along, drumming my fingers against the steering wheel to the beat.

I eventually get out of the parking lot and turn towards my house, the realization that I get the house to myself for the night hits me and I smile, excitement hitting me hard. Ideas buzz through my mind of what I'm going to do with my time and settle on a horror movie marathon. At the 4-way light, instead of turning left towards my home I turn right to run to the store real quick. I think about texting Luther if he wants anything, but he's already at his friend’s house by now and probably wouldn't answer. Parking towards the front of the store I go in, grabbing what I want real fast. While waiting for the cashier to ring up all my junk, I glance around the front of the store, my eyes settling on a young man not much older than I am sitting on one of the benches. The longer I stare the more obvious it is that he must be sick. His skin is pale, almost a sickly green, sweat coats his face and shirt causing it to stick to his chest. It looks like he's trembling, maybe he's cold? His nose suddenly starts to bleed and I gasp, waiting for him to react but nothing. He continues to sit there trembling on the bench with blood dripping onto his shirt mixing with the sweat.

"That'll be $27.50." The monotone voice of the cashier catches me off guard, my head snaps towards her so fast my neck cracks and I wince. She stares at me with a bored expression on her face chewing her gum loudly, she raises one of her eyebrows and I smile sheepishly. Muttering a sorry I shove 30 bucks towards her and grab my bags, not bothering to wait for my change. With my things in my hands I look back towards the bench where that guy was sitting, but he's gone. Glancing around I see his sweat stained back and relax somewhat knowing that he's up and walking, no matter how weak it might look. It's better than nothing. I chew on my lip and hurry towards my car, shoving the bags in my trunk. Something about all of it seems strange, creepy, I don't want to stay any longer than I have to. It could be all the movies I watch but every single instinct I have is telling me to get the hell out of there. I jump in my car and rush out of the parking lot, relaxing a bit when I can no longer see the store in my rear view mirrors. I take deep breaths, forcing myself to calm down. It was just a sick guy, everyone gets sick, it's fine.

Once I'm home I lock the door behind me, throwing the deadlock just to make me feel better. As soon as I hear it click in place all the tension I held in my body leaves in a breath and I smile, happy to be home. Tossing off my shoes at the door I run up to my room to change into more comfortable clothes. With my fuzzy pajama pants and tank top on I re-tie my hair into another, more secure, bun and hop downstairs. I grab the bags from the store and unload all my goodies onto the floor, throwing away the bags and grabbing a spoon for my ice cream before I sit down with my back leaning against the couch I stretch out my legs. I grab my ice cream shoving a giant spoonful into my mouth, I flinch at the sudden cold and turn on the tv flipping through the channels to see if there's any good movies playing. I settle on some cliche paranormal ghost movie and shovel more ice cream into my mouth.

Just as one of the main characters is being pulled into the basement by the evil spirit the picture is cut off and the emergency broadcast system alarm begins to play. The sudden piercing sound makes me jump and I laugh at myself, it's probably just another one of those tests.
"This is not a test: Due to recent discoveries any contact with water can result in death. Rain will burn like acid, drinking water can make you sick. If bottled water is unavailable boil for at least one hour. Stay indoors during storms. If anyone possesses the following symptoms avoid contact: sweating excessively, bleeding from orifices, shaking, vomiting, unnatural skin tone. Repeat, if anyone possesses these symptoms avoid contact at all costs." The message continued to repeat, over and over, the same thing. After the fifth time I heard it I turned it off, I understand what I can and can't do. When mom and dad were actually home the one thing they taught us was to follow these types of things, no matter what. I think that might be a little too far for me, putting my life in the hands of an automated message but something about this one gives me the creeps. Besides there's nothing too hard about doing what they said. My mind wonders back to the man at the store, I mentally check of the symptoms in my mind as I remember them. From what I can tell, he had most of them meaning he had whatever they’re warning us about. I set my ice cream down, my appetite suddenly gone. Pushing it away I pick up my phone dialing Luther's number, I know I told myself I'd leave him alone tonight but after hearing the message I want him home.
I call him 10 times, each one sending me to voicemail. I take a deep breath and tell myself to calm down, he's at his friend’s house someone there saw the message, he'll be fine. You'll try again first thing tomorrow morning. Everything will be okay, he's a smart boy. I forget about the tv, the emergency broadcast will probably be playing all night. Picking up my ice cream I shove an extra big spoonful in my mouth, maybe if I eat enough then I won’t be as anxious. My mind’s whirring a million miles a minute, stress and worry about Luther stringing my nerves tight, giving me a headache. The air in the room suddenly feels like it’s suffocating me, sweat drips down my back the heat of the room rising. I pull open the sliding door needing to feel the cool night air on my skin, as soon as I step out I hear the pitter patter of rain and my curiosity gets the best of me. Leaving the door open behind me I turn on the back porch light so I can see better.

When I first opened the door I could only hear the rain, the light of the sunset was covered by the black storm clouds. I've never seen anything like them, but now that I see what I do I can hear the sizzle of the grass dying beneath it. The rain hits the earth and something that looks like steam rises, it kind of looks like someone is pouring ice cold water onto a boiling hot surface. But I have a feeling that’s not case, it must be the other way around. Whatever the rain hits, dies. I put my ice cream down on the the porch table and grab a leaf off the plant nearest to me, I hold it out from under the cover so the rain will only fall on the leaf, just in case what I heard tonight is accurate. As soon as one drop hits it it immediately melts a hole through the once green leaf, the ridged edges of the hole browning and blackening as the rain continues to eat through the thin surface.

I curse some colorful words when I put my hand out too far, my fingers burn a bright red and start to bleed. I mutter to myself words that would most definitely get me slapped and rush back inside to wash my hand off, hopefully if I get it off in time it won't do too much damage. I turn the tap water on cold without thinking moving to stick my wounded hand under it. Before my bleeding fingers can touch the water I pause, the message from earlier tonight floating through my brain, quickly I turn off the water deciding that it’s better safe than sorry. I rush towards the pantry and grab some of the water bottles to pour over my hand. The pain washes away as soon as the freshwater hits it, both the pain and blood swirl down the drain and I sigh in relief, taking a look at the damage. Now that I see it without the blood and steam like substance from the rain eating at my skin I notice that it could be much much worse, taking the first aid kit from under the sink I clean it and wrap it to keep it from getting dirty. I put the cap back onto the rest of the water bottles, knowing that I’m going to need them later. Resting my head in my hands I massage my temples and groan when my headache throbs right behind my eyes, what a fucking mess this is. A laugh bubbles from deep inside, feeling a bit crazy I stand there with my hands on the counter laughing till there's a stitch in my side.

"Holy shit, the rain really is acid."