A Rollercoaster Ride

And away we go

Do you know that feeling you get when you’re at the highest part of a rollercoaster? Of course you’re in the front row and all you can see in front of you is that long ass drop? Your palms start to sweat. You can feel and hear your heartbeat work harder and faster than it ever had to before. Your face starts to turn red and your stomach drops as you move forward. You feel like you’re going to throw up as the world races by. But in the end, when the coaster comes to a stop, life gets back to normal. You realize you’re fine and once you walk away from the ride, reality hits you and you’re free. You faced your biggest fear but now you’re free. Free from it all.

Well… that’s exactly how I felt while I waited for Conor to show up at our usual diner place. At the end of my rollercoaster ride with him, I realized that it was fun. I did a lot of things that I needed to experience in life, to help me grow as a person and to truly understand my worth. At the end of my ride, I realized I needed to walk away and continue on to the next ride.

Today was not a normal day. Even the weather wasn’t normal. It was cloudy. A storm was on its way physically and well … emotionally.

- Ding ding ding -

My eyes drifted to the door. They instantly fell on the boy I used to love. He has gorgeous and sweet blue eyes. Ones that you can stare into for a lifetime and just get lost in. His smile. Damn. It can break hearts. I looked away as he walked over to me. I couldn’t help but just stare into my coffee. He thinks that this is our usually breakfast date. He just doesn’t know. I mean, how could he know. I’ve done everything to hide how I’ve been feeling lately.

“Hey Love”

Oh that pet name. I used to love when he called me “Love”. Now it just makes me cringe. I took a sip of my coffee in order to hide the cringe. I can tell he wants to order. Especially after I avoided his welcome kiss that came directly after the hello.

“Sorry, I’m not feeling well.”

What a pathetic excuse. God I feel like I’m going to throw up. I took one more glance at him before clearing my throat. I grabbed the box that's been burning a hole into the seat next to me and slid it across the table. He looked inside, very confused.

“Why are you giving me back my…”

He trailed off. It seemed to click with him. He shook his head and slumped in his seat. He immediately wiped his hand across his face and sighed.

“Why?”

That’s all he had to say. A few tears fell. I quickly wiped them away. And used the worst line in the book.

“It’s not you. It’s me.”

He scoffed and swore underneath his breath. I cleared my throat and I struggled to speak again. It took a few tries but I grew some balls.

“I’m sorry Conor. I will always love you. And as much as it pains me to say this, I'm just not in love with you anymore. You helped me grow so much as a person and we are just drifting apart this year. I really do think this is the best."

His blue eyes pierced mined. I couldn't breath for a second. That look almost made question my choice. I wiped away the tears that continue to pour down my face.

“I know it doesn’t mean much. But I am sorry. I am so sorry.”

I went to touch his hand but he pulled away as if I was snake going to attack. But I nodded my head and stood up.

“Goodbye.”

- Ding Ding Ding -
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I wrote this for a fiction writing class and I'm really interested in hearing everyone's opinions about it! Fiction writing isn't my strong suit so I'm curious to what people think.

Thanks!