Dad's Blue Pick-Up

Adam grabbed the picture out of my hand and studied it. “The thing that I don’t understand is – why are you selling it? We’ve been here for about twenty minutes and all you’ve done is show me how important this truck is to you and your family. Why don’t you just keep it?”

“It’s complicated. But though we can’t keep it, we don’t want it to go to a random craigslist responder.”

He suddenly chuckled. “So I’m being vetted?”

“I guess you can look at it that way.”

Adam scanned the pictures again and then sighed. “Here’s the thing. I just moved here from the city about a week ago. I used to vacation here as a kid with my parents, so when things went wrong in my life, I figured I would go somewhere that I knew.” He looked back up at me. “I don’t know anything about cars, let alone how to maintain them. But, if you let me buy your dads truck, I will promise to do my best.”

“And how are you going to do that, if you don’t know anything about trucks?”

He smiled crookedly at me. “Well, it seems to me that you know everything there is to know about this one. I would greatly appreciate it if you would teach me. I could also use a tour guide. I don’t know anyone here, and a lot has changed since I was fourteen.”