‹ Prequel: It Started With a Song
Status: In progress... Like everything else

Interim

Leaving Vegas

Shortly after they acquired the bunker in the Nevada desert, Nikki called a meeting with Noel and The Colonel.

“Whaddya mean you're goin' off on your own?” The Colonel snarled from the depths of a cloud of cigarette smoke. His tone was surly, as per usual, and his countenance curiously incredulous. Noel sat silently to Nikki's left, a look of quiet concern on his usually placid face. He looked down at his hands and fidgeted with his pen knife.

“How the hell am I supposed to get strong enough to avenge him? I can't stay here and do nothing. I'm already the weakest of the three of us.”

“That's exactly why it's a stupid idea. No use leavin' if you're just goin' to go out and get your ass kicked back here. If you live long enough to manage to get back, that is.”

“He's right, Nikki. It's dangerous, no matter how smart you are or how careful you try to be,” Noel looked up at her with soft eyes, “Not that you can't take care of yourself, but you're just so new to all of this.”

Nikki sighed and casually reached for The Colonel's cigarette pack. His glare froze her hand in place.

“Ask nicely.”

“Pretty please, Sir, may I have a cigarette?” Nikki pouted, gathering her old prostitute persona around herself like an old and well-worn jacket. She knew that submissive tone and batted eyelashes made The Colonel uncomfortable and a little nauseous, so she only did it to irritate him. His lip curled in disgust and he slid the pack across the table with more force than necessary.

“Thanks.” Her tone returned to normal as she put the filter of a cigarette between her lips.

“Welcome.” The Colonel leaned in to light her cigarette, “You're hell bent on doin' this, aren't you?”

“Yes.”

“Fine.”

“Fine?” Noel chirped, “She could get herself killed!”

“Then let her. She's a grown woman and I'll be damned if I end up bein' the one to make her decisions.”

The fire in Nikki's eyes went out and she took a long drag on her cigarette. The unspoken subtext about Ivanov stung her. Noel watched her for a moment, his concern mounting. He knew there was nothing he could do to stop her if she'd made up her mind, but he also couldn't prevent himself from worrying about her a bit as well. He sighed.

“Keep in touch. Send postcards to the drop. You don't even have to write anything. I'll know if it's you or if you find yourself in trouble. Stay safe, Nikki.” He finally said, “When are you planning to leave?”

“Two nights from now. I've got a flight to Denver booked.”

The Colonel grunted as he stood, swiping the pack of cigarettes from where they rested at Nikki's elbow. He patted her on the shoulder with his free hand, which she took in her own and kissed before he left the room.

“You shouldn't go alone. You've done a better job of staying alive as a leader than most of us have done, but...”

“Fine. I'll take a man or two with me to keep an eye out when I can't. And I'll keep in touch. I promise. I'll come back even stronger when I do get back here.”

“You'd better. I'll never forgive you if you don't.”

“I know,” she pushed her chair back from the card table, “I'd better go pack.”

“Need help?”

“No, thanks though.” Nikki stood.

“Any time. Know when you'll be back?”

“Not yet. But you'll know when I do.”

“Okay. Be safe, Nikki.”

“You too.” The door to the conference room closed gently behind her.