‹ Prequel: It Started With a Song
Status: In progress... Like everything else

Interim

Aftermath

An hour later, he kissed her back to consciousness.

“Sunrise is on its way. Come. Get dressed. We should leave.”

She hid under a pillow.

“Nichole.”

A grunt slithered from under the pillow before she pulled herself up to a sitting position.

“Fine.”

He kissed her once more, making her smile sleepily.

“That's a girl. Now, get dressed.”

“Yes, sir.” She flailed one arm blindly on the floor, finding her sports bra. He chuckled as she scrambled around in the bedsheets, looking for something. He picked up a pair of shorts from the floor and tossed them to her with a smirk. She grumbled a 'thank you' as she pulled them on. Five minutes later, they were in his car.

“How long has it been since you fed?”

She knew better than to lie to him. “Vegas. One of my boys opened up his veins for me.”

“That is too long. I'll have Katherine bring you something.” He dialed a number on the glowing keypad on the dashboard. After two rings, a clear voice answered.

“Yes, darling?”

“She is here. Be a doll and grab her something to eat? We are on our way home now.”

“Of course, dear.”

“And ask Rebecca to make certain the guest room is presentable.”

“Anything else?”

“That is everything.”

“Consider it done. We'll see you soon.”

“Until then, love.”

The screen said the call was ended. Nikki looked at him in the dim lights from the dashboard. The blues and greens from the displays colored the planes of his placid face.

“Thank you.”

“Of course, Nichole. We take care of our own.”

She watched the city blur by in the rain, ignoring her gnawing hunger.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come