‹ Prequel: It Started With a Song
Status: In progress... Like everything else

Interim

Home Sweet Home

After a short drive through the country, they came up to a classic New England home, stretched to three stories with an expansive attached garage. A beautiful redhead stood on the steps with a gangly college-aged youth who seemed to be trying his damnedest to flirt his way into her pants.

“There you are, darling. And Nikki, how wonderful to finally meet you!” She called as they approached. Nikki was wrapped in a tight, motherly hug. Her blonde waves smelled like Dior perfume.

“You're Nikki?” The youth asked, his excitement apparent, “Katie here said you wanted someone to show you a good time tonight.”

“I definitely do. Just after I change.” She chuckled, gesturing at her sweatpants and tshirt.

“You can wait in her suite. Come in.” The look Rebecca gave Nikki said more than enough. This was her delivery dinner. She was relieved. It would be so much easier than having to hunt discreetly in a new town.

“I'll show you to your rooms.” Vlad said, already carrying the bags Nikki had set down on the porch for her greetings.

“Nice place you've got. I'm Jake, by the way.” He offered Nikki a bony hand. She shook it, noticing the track marks on the inside of his forearm.

“Pleasure to meet you. I take it you're local?”

“Born and raised.” He smiled, following her up the stairs, behind Vlad and Rebecca.

“Excellent. I bet you know all of the best spots.”

“And then some.” He laughed. They had reached the landing and waited for Vlad to fish a key from his pocket to unlock the door. He picked up the bags and carried them into the room.

“Your bedroom is through there, bathroom is attached. Let one of us know if you need anything. We will be in my library. You will see the open door from the bottom of the stairs.”

“Thank you so much.”

“Really, sweet. It's nothing.” Katherine smiled, closing the door behind Vlad as they left.

“Have a seat. I won't be a minute.” Nikki said, carrying one bag into the bedroom. She left the door open as she dug through the bag. Jake threw himself into a high backed chair.

“What do you like to do for fun?” she asked.

“Bar hop, mostly. I get high when I can.”

“Oh?”

“What's your poison? I bet I can find some for you.” He changed immediately from an awkward college kid into a street tough. In the bedroom, Nikki peeled off her shirt. He had a good view of her tattoos and could clearly see that she was bra-less.

“Used to do smack. It's been a while. Getting clean wasn't my idea.”

“Got a guy that just got in some China White. It's not cheap, but it's good. I can probably get you a deal. Favor for a favor work for you?”

“What kind of favor?” She turned, halfway into putting on another shirt. The one she had stretched across her arms, just covering her breasts, and then only barely. His eyes crawled over her bare torso in a way that reminded her of cockroaches skittering across a floor.

“Forget the shirt and we'll talk details.”

“That kind of favor, huh?” She smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter gets dark and bloody. Prepare yourselves.