‹ Prequel: It Started With a Song
Status: In progress... Like everything else

Interim

Planning

An hour or so later, she was refreshed and dressed in casual clothes. Once she found her way to the library, she asked Greg, “So, he's dead. Washed, and wrapped up. His things are in a bag next to him. What do I do with him now?”

“Don't be silly. You're our guest. Mara will take care of him for you.” A redhead spoke from the table across from Greg.

“Rebecca. Pleased to meet you, dear. Greg and Mara have told me about you. Welcome to our home.”

“I appreciate your hospitality. It's so much more than I could have asked for.”

“Nonsense. As I'm sure he's told you, we take care of our own. And it will be nice to have a new face around for a while. It has been ages since we had a visitor.” Rebecca smiled sweetly at her. Her voice had traces of a Southern accent, but it wasn't defined enough for Nikki to know where exactly it was from. She guessed Georgia. Something about the way her 'r's were rounded at the edges.

“Have a seat, Nikki. We were just discussing your reason for joining us.”

“How much has he told you?” She asked as she pulled out a chair.

“Just that you need power to avenge your fallen love. Very romantic.” Rebecca smiled.

Nikki looked at Greg.

“Seriously? That's the spin you put on it?”

“It's simpler than explaining that you have Stockholm Syndrome to the extreme and are looking to rid
the world of the monster that killed your own monster.”

Nikki gritted her teeth and fussed with a pen on the table.

“Darling. That may have been a bit harsh.”

“She's used to worse and I'm sure she would rather have me be blunt and honest than offer her honeyed half-truths.”

“Just because you're right doesn't make it any easier. But that's not the point. I'm still here without a plan and without any way to repay y'all for the kindness you've shown me.” Nikki looked up at him.

“Actually, I was about to offer a way to accomplish both of those at once.”

“Oh?” Greg turned to Rebecca, “And what do you have in mind?”

“Paul Reynard has been a thorn in your side for far too long, and he would make a wonderful little snack for Nikki. Killing him would give her more power and get him out of our way.”

Greg and Nikki just stared at her for a minute or two, mute with surprise.

“What?” She finally asked.

“That is a brilliant plan and I am upset with you for thinking of it before I did, however, as things stand, I am incredibly proud to call you my wife.” He leaned over and kissed Rebecca on her smooth forehead, sweeping a copper curl from her face. She smiled at him.

“Living with you all of these years had to have some effect on me, dear.”

“That's... But how do I go about doing that?” Nikki was bewildered, and unashamed to show it. She
looked between her hosts with worry furrowing her brow.

“Darling, I thought you had a little more sense about you than that. You're beautiful. He is an artist.
You'll figure something out.” Rebecca said.

“Oh.” Nikki paused, “Actually, knowing that, I think you're right. Is there anyone who could get in the way? And what's the story for why he's gone?”

“He has a lover, Lydia Marikova. She's been his muse for about ten years now. Things should be getting stale. Either take her too or drive her off. I'm certain neither of those are out of your skill set.”

Nikki kept from narrowing her eyes at the comment. It felt as if it were a challenge, but this was her host, and a much stronger vampire than she was. Also, it seemed not only rude but an incredibly bad idea to infuriate Greg's wife. They were known for being more vicious than he was.

Instead, she said, “I think I'll take her too. Don't want her showing up after a few years and getting pissy like I did.”

“Excellent plan.” Greg interjected. He could feel the tension beginning to grow between the women.

“So, that solves that problem. But once they're gone... Does anyone here have ties to Paris? That seems like a very romantic place for the three of us to run away to for a while, have a spat, and go our separate ways.”

“Not to the best of my knowledge. But keep an ear open for better options than Paris. That is a little high-profile for a getaway.”

“Good point. I'm new at this whole plot thing anyway. I usually take orders, not make plans.”

“Then we will guide you. But, ultimately, this is your project, Nichole. We are simply giving you the means and the motive.”

“Of course. I just... I don't know. It's weird to be just taking advice.”

“You'll become accustomed in time.” Rebecca chimed in. Nikki met her eyes without any challenge resting in her own. Greg relaxed in his chair.

“I'm sure you're tired from your trip. Why don't you go rest? Greg and I will get some information together for you.”

“That actually does sound nice. Again, thank you.” Nikki patted Greg on the shoulder as she left. She heard them whispering in the library as she climbed the stairs, but she was too tired to care. Once she got back to her rooms, she noticed the body was gone. There was a note on the bathroom counter.

Beautiful calligraphy thanked her for the steps she had taken with the body, explaining that the last guest was not nearly as considerate. It also apologized for the lack of an immediate greeting, but promised a proper introduction the following night. It was signed 'Mara'.

Nikki shrugged as she fell into the bed. The sheets were satin and the coverlet was velvet. It was warm and soft and smelled faintly of cedar. She fell asleep quickly and deeply.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's still more.