‹ Prequel: It Started With a Song
Status: In progress... Like everything else

Interim

Midday Visitor

Around noon, something stirring in the room woke her up. She continued to feign sleep, staying motionless under the heavy blanket. Reaching out with a bit of telepathy, she found a presence in the room.

“Apologies. I did not mean to disturb you, Nichole.” a voice gently interrupted her thoughts. Nikki sat up to find a ghostly pale woman standing by the bureau. In her arms were bundles of clothes.

“Who are you?” Nikki asked, half-thinking she was dreaming.

“Mara. I would like to thank you again for the way you took care of the remains of your dinner tonight. It was heartily appreciated.” She smiled at Nikki, setting the clothes in a chair. Nikki noticed that her lips had not moved when she 'spoke'. She was using telepathy. Even though there was nothing threatening about Mara's presence, there was something definitively unsettling about her.

Nikki sat up in bed, watching Mara as she came to sit next to her.

“Greg told me that you have nightmares.”

“I... um...”

“I just wanted you to know that he does as well. He may not have told you, but he does. I do know that he has told you to come to us if there is anything bothering you. Please do. He could use someone to talk to in the middle of the day, and if it helps you as well, even better.” Her smile was as gentle as her projected voice, and her eyes were the same deep green as Greg's.

“Thank you.”

“I am sorry if I make you uncomfortable. It has been so long since I last used my voice aloud that I no longer know if I can.”

“No. I just... I wasn't expecting anyone to be here in the middle of the day.”

“I brought you some other clothes. You have a very specific style, and we do not need you being recognizable when you go out. Not until we take steps toward the plan. Rebecca wants to teach you the finer points of etiquette and Katherine feels that you need more self-defense training first. Greg and I have been listening to them bicker off and on since we knew you were coming.” Mara's expression was one of someone giggling, but no sound came from her.

“That's very considerate of them.”

“It is really nothing. It has been ages since we had anyone to pass on knowledge to. It is a good thing that you came here. For all of us.” Her smile was benevolent. It reminded Nikki of the way the nuns smiled back home. She smiled back.

“I'm not sure how to respond to that.”

“You are still tired. We will talk later.” Mara stood, kissing Nikki's forehead before she left the room, as silent and swift as any ghost, “Sleep well.”

Nikki stared at the closed door for a while, feeling the exhaustion creep back into her bones. She eventually shrugged and went back to sleep.