Chase the Stars

Chapter Six

Charlie had never been to nor heard of the Isle of Sharks, but he has to admit he was happy to leave. Once the ship had its replaced parts, Charlie was about as eager as Mila to get out. Part of him wanted to go back to Etherport, though he knew it was a bad idea. The search for them there was probably even stronger now that they'd been missing for a few days. He did miss his stuff, though.

“How long before we can go back to Etherport, do you think?” he asked her, staying out of her way and watching as she worked on adjusting some of her settings on the ship.

She paused what she was doing and gave him an odd look. “Why on earth would you want to go back?”

“It's been years since I've left,” he shrugged. “I have a life there. I haven't been anywhere else in twenty years.”

“Woah, what?” she said, eyes widening. “You haven't left a dinky town like Etherport in twenty years? I knew you were weird, but I didn't know you were that weird.”

“I have my reasons,” he said.

“Reasons?” she asked, waiting for him to elaborate.

“You don’t tell me anything about your life,” he reminded her. “Why should I tell you anything about mine?”

“I was just wondering who you were waiting for,” she shrugged. “Girlfriend?”

“No, it has nothing to do with a girl,” Charlie said.

“So you are waiting for someone,” she concluded.

“I’m not talking about this anymore,” Charlie said, rolling her eyes.

She just smirked, flicking a switch that turned on the engines of the airship. Everything came to life, sounding like it was running smoothly again. She grinned and climbed out of the control center to the top deck to check everything over. Charlie followed her up, nodding in approval.

“Good work, captain,” he said, with a little salute. “Not that you would've been able to do it without the immense amount of help you allowed me to give.”

Charlie could have sworn he saw the slightest hint of a smile when he told his joke. Not a laugh, but at least it wasn't a scowl.

“You don't actually want to go back to Etherport, do you?” she asked, raising a brow. “Because I won't be the one to take you there. I'm not suicidal.”

“South Plymm, then,” Charlie shrugged.

“Your dinky little clock tower will still be there when you get back.”

“Will it?”

“Probably not.”

Charlie just shook his head with a chuckle, plopping back down in his designated corner. He watched as Mila continued fixing everything up. She stopped at the mast when she noticed that the sail was stuck, needing just a light tug to fall back into place. He watched as she jumped up and down, trying to catch it.

“Having a little trouble there?” he asked.

“Nope.”

She continued jumping, grunting softly in frustration. She held herself like any other massive, burly sailor, but the reality was that she physically was a tiny little thing. No amount of self-confidence could change that.

“You know, I am much taller than you are,” Charlie said. “I could probably-”

“I can do it myself.”

“Clearly.”

She stopped, huffing softly and taking a step back. She still refused to look at him, crossing her arms over her chest and mumbling so quietly he hardly even heard her.

“What was that?” he asked. “A little louder, please.”

“Charles,” she said, looking up at him with a glare and speaking louder and clearer, “Will you fix the sail?”

“I don't know,” he shrugged. “I'm pretty useless after all.”

Please,” she said through clenched teeth.

He smiled and reached up to fix what she'd been trying so hard to accomplish. She seemed offended by how easy it was for him.

“See? I helped and nothing exploded,” he said. “A shocker.”

“Go back to your corner,” she ordered.

“That's a weird way of pronouncing ‘Thank you’, but alright,” he said.

He did as she asked, sitting down in his corner. She was quiet for a few moments longer, then sheepishly looked back at him.

“Thanks,” she said dully.

“You're welcome. Does this make me part of the crew now?”

“Don't push it.”

.::.::.::.::.


The water was freezing, but Charlie ignored the lack of feeling in his toes as he waded in the fountain. It was shallow, but he was smaller than most five-year-olds and the water came nearly up to his waist. He had rolled his pants up but his clothes had still gotten wet when he tripped and fell while walking around in the fountain, and the chill of the winter made it even more uncomfortable.

He reached down into the water and scooped up another handful of coins, dropping them into his bag. He looked up at his father standing by the fountain with a couple friends, keeping watch. His father saw Charlie stop, waving his hand.

“Come on, kid,” he said quietly. “Before someone sees what's happening.”

“I thought you said this was allowed,” Charlie frowned.

“It is allowed,” he reassured him. “I wouldn’t make you do anything illegal. See, the reason we have to keep quiet is so that no one else sees what we’re doing and copy our idea. You understand?”

“I’m cold,” Charlie complained.

One of his father’s friends, Mandy, turned and addressed Charlie this time. She wasn’t quite as gentle, and far less patient.

“Come on,” she scowled. “If you move, you won’t be so cold.”

“We’ll get you some nice hot cocoa,” his father promised. “You’re a fat kid. You’ll like that, won’t you?”

Charlie continued scooping up handfuls of coins from the fountain and putting it in his pouch until there was a sharp whistle. His father jumped up, waving for Charlie to come back. Charlie quickly went, but he tripped. His father leaned over, and Charlie thought he was trying to reach out to help him up. Instead, he took the pouch from his hand and weighed it. He sighed in disappointment, then grabbed Charlie by the arm and pulled him out of the fountain.


Charlie woke up with a start, feeling as if he’d been splashed by cold water. He looked around and found that he was still on Mila’s ship, though he’d fallen asleep from boredom in his corner and at some point night had fallen. The ship was sailing smoothly, and Mila was looking out at the clear horizon. She noticed him stir, but only paid him a side glance.

“Nice nap?” she asked sarcastically.

“There isn’t much else to do when you’re telling me to sit in one place and do nothing,” he said.

She didn’t answer, looking back out ahead. “The weather is clear.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Charlie asked.

“For now,” she said. “Weather like this is suspicious.”

“Suspicious?”

“If things are going well for us? Yeah. That’s suspicious.”