Rescue Me

one

Stepping off the ferry into the sun, I waited for my mother before walking up the ramp leading to Haig Point Golf Club. She chattered away with friends from years ago from the island, catching up with them, making up for lost years. I left her to get our golf cart and picked her up before driving to the far side of the island resort to the large mansions. Driving on a twisting road, we made our way along the shore line until we were forced to turn onto a long bridge surrounded by reeds. Reaching the end, we turned the bend in the road and we got the first glimpse of our house.

Our house was pale yellow and quite large. It had a large glass windowed middle which allowed passers-by to look into the foyer and out the large picture window in the back. Our back yard looked out over a pool surrounded by woods. Pine needles covered the ground around the trees, but there was a clear distinction between the beginning of the tree line and the end of our yard. The front of our house looked out at another house with a glimpse of a golf hole (I didn't know which one, nor did I care.) On the other side of the hole, a few walking minutes away was a strip of beach with a slanted view of Harbor Town across the channel, home of one of the most famous lighthouses in South Carolina.

"Well, isn't it nice to be back," Mother asked with a smile as I parked the cart in the garage. "I can't wait for dinner. We're meeting up with Wanda and Timothy, you remember them don't you?"

I didn't reply.

"Really now, Kaycie," Mother said, "We're on vacation. We'll be here all summer, please lighten up."

"I'm going to go walk on the beach," I said, "I'll be back before dinner."

Mother frowned, "Okay dear, we're eating in one hour."

I nodded and left her to enter the house. I walked along the cart path letting the heat warm me as I moved. I was thankful Mother reminded me to dress lightly, so I wore a simple skirt and t-shirt. Moving long the cart path, I reached a faux wooden bridge that had a ramp leading down to a sandy path. Walking through the reeds and cat tails, I reached a wooden bridge that stretched over a small rivulet that was populated by small hermit crabs. After the bridge, it was white sand. My sunglasses shielded my eyes from the blaring light of the evening sun, and I moved forward, taking my shoes off and setting them down on one of the lawn chairs provided by the resort. Walking down the beach, I reached the lapping waves and allowed my feet to get wet before walking further into it, the water at my knees.

Standing in the cool water I let my long red hair down and let it billow out around me. I held my skirt in my right hand, and with my left, I played with the ring still around my ring finger. Tears prickled the back of my eyes as I remembered the last time my feet touched this water. That was the best day of my life.

A tear slipped down my face and I snapped back into myself. Swiping at it, I broke contact with the ocean and blinked a few times.

"Look out!"

Turning around, I gasped as a body crashed into me, knocking us both into the water. Sitting up, I was rocked forward by a wave. Pushing my hair to the side, I felt a hand grip my arm and helped me up, but I pushed it away.

"I am so sorry," said the voice of a man, "I'm so sorry."

Fixing myself I turned to yell, but lost my words at the sight of his face. I was looking at none other than Benedict Cumberbatch. Swallowing the hateful words, all I could manage was, "Um… it's okay."

"Are you hurt?" He looked down my body, and my eyes followed, looking down at myself, looking for damages (and also checking that nothing embarrassing was showing). All I saw was my figure being dominantly displayed due to the wet clothes.

"I don't think so," I replied at last. Looking back at him I asked, "Are you okay?"

He smiled, "I'm fine."

Nodding, I turned to go back to the shore, but when I took my first step, I fell in pain. Benedict caught me, helping me stand.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked, looking at me.

"It's my ankle."

"Hold on." Bending down, he picked me up, causing me to give a yip in shock. He laughed at my little scream and he carried me to shore. Setting me down on the lawn chair with my shoes, he moved to look at my ankle. "It looks swollen."

"Feels like it too."

Looking up at me he cringed, "I really am, very sorry."

I let out a small laugh, "No, you're fine."

We were joined by two of his friends, both of whom were jogging towards us, one of them holding what appeared to be towels.

The first to join us was Martin Freeman, who was followed by Tom Hiddleston. Martin stopped short of the lawn chair and asked, "Are you two all right?"

"Well we're not seriously injured," Benedict said, "Although I believe I sprained her ankle."

"Ouch," said Tom, "That sucks."

I nodded, "Yeah… it most certainly does."

"Here, cushion it with this," said Martin handing Benedict one of the two towels. Gingerly, he lifted my leg and put the rolled square of fabric under my ankle.

"Benedict Cumberbatch," he said, holding out his hand to me, "I guess, you should know the name of the person who maimed you."

I let out a small laugh, "I wouldn't say maim per se," Looking at him I said, "I'm Kaycie Fischer."

"Nice to meet you, Kaycie. I wish it were under other circumstances."

I laughed, "Yeah, same."

Martin leaned in and held out his hand, "I'm Martin."

"I'm Tom." Tom held out his hand and gave a wide smile.

I smiled at all of them and shook their hands, "It's nice to meet you." They smiled, and a silence fell over us. Turning to Benedict I asked, "What were you doing that made you run into me?"

Blushing he replied, "We were playing with a Frisbee."

I nodded, "Ah. That would do it." We all fell into silence for a moment, none of us really knowing what to say.

"Shall we help you home then," asked Benedict.

"Um… I think I can get there on my own. I live just on the other side of the hole."

"Well, let's walk you there anyway." Benedict stood and held out a hand to help me up. Taking I stood gingerly, making sure not to put much pressure on my foot. Martin took the towel off of the bench and smiled.

"Tom and I'll get the cart," backing away, he said, "We'll catch up with you two."

Benedict nodded and smiled. "It was nice meeting you."

"Same to you," Tom said before walking away with Martin.

Turning back, I smiled at Benedict, "You really don't have to help me."

"Nonsense! I knocked you over, I shall help you home."

I smiled, "Well… thank you."

Slowly, the two of us moved back to the small bridge, Benedict holding my hand to help steady me on the sand. He let me cross first over the bridge, and then was at my side again as we walked to the ramp. Once we were on solid ground, he let me hobble beside him as we walked along the cart path back to the main road.

"So are you visiting the island?" He asked.

I nodded, "Yup. My mother and I will be here all summer."

Benedict nodded, "Sounds like fun."

I let out a small scoff, "Yeah, if you like to golf."

"I take it you don't?"

I shook my head, "I'm too impatient for golfing. No, I suspect I shall be spending my time here on the beach reading, or finding small ways to stay entertained while my mother golfs away with her friends."

Benedict nodded, "Well, maybe sometime we could find something to do. I'm sure you'll be more than welcome to hang out with Martin, Tom, and I."

I smiled, "That sounds lovely. I might just take you up on that offer."

"It's settled then."

"Is this your first time on the island?"

"Yes. My parents have been members here for a while, but I've never been able to accompany them."

"Well, then good thing you'll be hanging around a pro." I smiled at him.

"Yeah?"

"Oh yeah. I've been coming here since I was very little."

"Well, I will be coming to you for recommendations then."

We laughed as we walked a bit further, then I stopped at my driveway. "Well, this is me. Thank you for walking me home."

"No, it's really the least I could do. I'm sorry again for knocking you over."

"It's fine," smiling, I held out my hand, "It was nice meeting you."

"Yes. I will take you up on your offer," he said, "I'm serious."

Smiling I said, "I'll be expecting a call."

He smiled and walked away as I turned to go inside. As I opened the door I was greeted by the sound of my mother, "Is that you, Kaycie?"

"Yes."

She came into the living room, "Well you need to hurry up! We're going to be late for our dinner reservation – why are you wet?"

Sighing I said, "I was knocked into the water by –"

"Well never mind, that, go and get dressed. Your bags are in your room."

"Yes, Mother."

As I started to walk away my mother gasped, "Why are you limping?"

"I was knocked down, remember?"

"Well… hurry. We need to leave soon."

Turning away, I made my way upstairs as fast as I could and into my room. The first thing I did was to take off my wet clothes and hang them up in the bathroom. Going to my suitcases, I fished out new underwear, a new bra, and the dress and shoes I was going to wear for dinner, opting for flats sine I didn't feel comfortable limping in heels. Coming back down, my mother was impatiently waiting for me on a couch. Looking up she let out a sigh and said, "Finally, now let's go."

Together we left the house, getting into our cart. Mother drove us to the Club House, not pausing to drop off her injured daughter at the door, but instead parking further away. She impatiently walked in front of me, passively signaling me to walk faster by speeding up and slowing down. Finally we were inside and were greeted by the tropical plant design on the carpeted hallway. We walked the length and entered the dining room where we were taken our table. Mother's friends were already seated, sipping from their water glasses.

"Wanda," my mother exclaimed as she neared the table, "Timothy!"

The two turned to see who was hailing them, and upon the sight of my mother gave exclamations of their own and stood to greet their old friend. The three of them have known each other since they were very young, separately of course (my mother introduced her girlhood friend to Timothy, and the rest was history). After greeting my mother, they turned their sights on me, and I gave them both a genuine smile.

"Kaycie," Wanda said, opening her arms to me, "It's so good to see you!"

Going into the hug, I said, "It feels like forever since I last saw you!"

Letting me go she held me at arms-length, "You look wonderful."

I smiled, "So do you! I love your new hair cut!"

"Oh, you noticed?"

Letting out a laugh I replied, "Of course! You've had it long for as long as I can remember. I really like it short."

She smiled, and then passed me on to her husband. I smiled at Timothy and gave him a hug. "It's so good see you!"

He gave me a squeezing hug and replied, "It's good to see you, my girl."

I smiled at the term of endearment. Letting me go, I took my seat next to Wanda, noticing the three empty seats on my other side.

"Why are you limping," Wanda asked.

"Well, that's why we were late," said Mother, "She went to the beach and came back limping!"

"I was knocked into by… some boys playing Frisbee." I said, defending myself.

"Well, I hope you're alright," Wanda said, "Such bad luck to get injured on your first day here."

I smiled, "It's not that bad." I took up my napkin and laid it in my lap and waited for a waiter to come by so I could order a drink. "Are we expecting others to join us?"

"Yes, our son." Said Timothy.

I perked up, "Oh yeah?"

"Yes, he's finally able to come with us," said Wanda, "I'm so excited for you two to finally meet."

I smiled in response. Wanda and Timothy have one son I've never met before. My mother has a couple of times, but she has given me no insight as to who he is. All I know from what his parents have told me is that he is an actor like themselves, that he is doing very well in his career, and that he is their shinning glory.

I took a sip of the water that was in front of me, parched, when I noticed Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, and Martin Freeman walking into the dining room. Benedict looked around the small room and his gaze landed on our table. Wanda noticed him making his way over to us, and stood.

"Ben," she said, "So good for you to finally join us." She hugged him.

"Sorry, Mother," Benedict replied, "I had to change."

"And what was wrong with what you had on earlier?"

"I um… had an accident on the beach while playing Frisbee… I fell into the water."

Wanda playfully scoffed at her son, "Well, you're here now. Sit, sit!"

Benedict greeted my mother, and then he saw me. His eyes lit up and he smiled, "Hello again."

Blushing I replied, "Hello."

"You two know each other already," Timothy asked.

"We met at the beach." I replied.

"At the beach," Wanda asked, "Ben! You don't mean to tell me you're the one who knocked down poor Kaycie!"

Benedict cringed, "Guilty as charged."

"Shame on you, sir!"

"He did walk me home," I said, "After helping me out of the water and to a bench. Your son was a perfect gentleman, I promise."

Wanda gave a smile and took a sip from her water. Benedict took his seat next to me. Tom sat across from him, looking vaguely disappointed, and Martin sat at the opposite end from Timothy. When everyone was settled, a waiter came and took our drink orders. Wanda and my mother ordered Long Island Iced Teas; Timothy, Martin, and Benedict ordered gin and tonics; Tom ordered a scotch; then it was my turn. "Guinness please."

"Kaycie," my mother hissed, "Don't order a beer! It's crude."

Sighing, I changed my order to a pomegranate martini and settled on a plan to drink as many as I could as subtly as I could for the duration of the meal. Hopefully the more sloshed I got the better I could deal with being near my mother.

"So Kaycie, how are your classes going?" Timothy asked.

I nodded, "They're going well. I'm teaching as well as taking them."

"Oh? What are you teaching?"

"A couple of freshman English courses, and then a Film and Literature class."

"Oh that one sounds fun," said Wanda, "What are you teaching in that one?"

"Well, my lesson plans haven't been approved yet, but I want to look at the impact classic literature has had on modern day film. So we'll be reading Pride and Prejudice, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Great Expectations, and then I might dabble in some more modern literature like The Hobbit, Atonement, or The Hunger Games. I'd then pair them with a film adaptation of the stories to have the students look at any changes that have been made, what that might mean for the story, the director, or the modern audiences."

"Well that sounds fascinating," said Timothy.

"What would you say about The Hobbit?" asked Martin.

"I would have them comment on the addition of the short stories that Tolkien wrote in the movie and how it either alters the time lines of previous films like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, or what it might mean that the director chose to do it at all."

"And in your personal opinion?"

I blushed, "I would say that it alters the timeline of the trilogy greatly. The addition of the White Orc does at least. He was defeated at the Battle of Moria by Thorin Oakenshield, thus ending the race of orc from Middle Earth. That's why it was such a big deal when Saruman created them in Lord or the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, there hadn't been orcs in Middle Earth for hundreds of years. But to have one in Bilbo's day, ruins the significance because it's implied that there are more. For the argument of the addition of the Necromancer and Radagast, I would say that, where I'm intrigued, they are only there as plot fillers to push the story from being only one movie to being three."

Martin nodded.

"Don't get me wrong," I added, "An Unexpected Journey was amazing! Where I was disappointed in Peter Jackson's lack of commitment monster wise, I was very pleased with what I saw. I'm greatly looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of Five Armies. I just think that Peter Jackson's pocket book got the better of him."

"Well, you certainly know your Tolkien," Martin said with a smile. "What was your favorite part about An Unexpected Journey?"

"Besides the amazing score? I would have to say Gollum. The scene you did with Andy Serkis was brilliant."

He smiled, "That was one of my favorites as well."

"Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have no idea what she's talking about," my mother said with a laugh, "She just talks about all of these things having to do with 'hidden meaning' and 'symbolism.' I personally think that class sounds like a waste of time. Why can't a movie just be a movie?"

"Because a movie, like a book, is text, it can be analyzed." I replied.

"Well I don't see why you bother. I personally believe that once a book is read, it doesn't matter anymore." She took a sip from her drink, "She has all of these books in her apartment, and I just think that they take up room."

I bit my tongue. Taking up my drink, I took a rather long sip, probably longer than I ought to. Setting it down, I noticed both Benedict and Tom looking at me, but I didn't react.

"I think the class sounds wonderful," said Wanda.

"What would you pair Sherlock Holmes with," Benedict asked.

With a blush I replied, "I would compare it to Basil Rathbone's movie, and then with Sherlock. I want the students to see the difference in characterization, in appearance, and writing. Plus some of the homages in Sherlock both to Rathbone and the text is just inspiring."

He smiled, and a waiter came to take our order. I ordered a small Caesar salad with shrimp, followed by the Club Houses salmon and wild rice. It was my favorite dish they offered here. Mother made a remark about my food choice, saying that if I kept eating fish as often as I did I would become one. I laughed it off with her, finishing off my drink in the process. The waiter brought me another one. The rest of dinner went as such. Wanda and Timothy inquiring about what I've done with my life since high school: I've gone to college, graduated with a BA in English with a minor in both Film Studies and Medieval Studies. I took a few years off school, and am now going back for a Masters in English, teaching on the side for extra money in my pocket while I do so. Every time I finished telling my little accomplishments my mother would have some joking remark that belittled my efforts. I had finished four martinis by dessert (my mother, Wanda, or Timothy not noticing) and I was finally at a point where my mother's biting words didn't bite so hard anymore. That is, until Wanda brought up a new subject.

"Anyone special in your life, Kaycie?"

I opened my mouth to reply, but Mother beat me to it, "Now, that's the best thing she's ever done in her life: bringing home her man." Benedict and Tom shifted in their seats, listening to my mother's every word, "Yup. When she brought home that boy I knew he was the one for her. And he was. But… like all good things that my daughter has, it's been ruined. But of course he never saw it coming. No-one did. One day, Kaycie is happily married to the man of her dreams, the next it's been thrown away. Poor lad didn't expect it. But the only thing you can do is pick up the messes you've made and try to start over, right honey?"

I looked at my mother and realized that I hated her (with some extra help of the alcohol). I knew that she blamed me for what happened, but I never thought she would have the audacity to say it out loud. My vision went white with shock, then red with anger. Standing, I swayed a bit, but managed, "I'm going outside for some fresh air." Picking up my recently refreshed drink, I limped to the patio doors, and exited the cool dining room to the warm humid air outside. I inhaled deeply and I walked to the pond that was just outside. A bridge curved over a narrow part of the water, and I walked over it, stopping in the middle looking out over the edge. I fought tears from pushing forward, but they prevailed, one even slipping down my cheek.

"Mind if I join you?"

Turning, I found Tom Hiddleston at the bottom of the bridge. I nodded and he joined me.

"Your mother is… something."

I scoffed, "Yeah." I took a deep gulp of my drink.

"Should you be drinking like that?"

I laughed, "You going to card me?"

"No, I mean… with a sprained ankle… should you be drinking like that?"

I shrugged, "Probably not. But after spending years living with that woman, it's the only way I can handle her."

Tom frowned, "That's not healthy."

Scoffing again I replied, "Neither is living with her."

Tom fell silent. The two of us stood on the bridge for a moment, then growing tired of it I said "It's not my fault."

"Pardon?"

"My marriage… it wasn't my fault. Don't let my mother tell you otherwise."

"What happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

I took a sip of my drink and replied, "He was sick for a long time…. He was always in and out of the hospital." Tears fell down my face in a free fall. "He wasn't always like that though. It wasn't until we were married that he got sick. That's why my mother blames me for his death…. She says I was too much of burden for him to handle, and it killed him. H-he died the hospital holding my hand. He died in his sleep."

Tom stood next to me, not saying anything. Sighing, I sipped from my drink again, and turned away from Tom, swiping at my face to remove the tears. I scanned the edges of the pond looking for any sign of life.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

I nodded, "Thanks." I sighed. Looking again, I finally found a life form. Sniffing, I managed to stop crying, and I pointed out to where it was, "There."

"What?"

"A crocodile."

Tom stooped down next to me to align his gaze with mine, "Where?"

"See that log?"

"Yes."

"That's it." Moving closer to him, I held out my finger again and traced the eyes of the reptile.

"Well, I'll be damned! Good eye."

I smiled, "Thanks."

Looking at him, I was surprised to see how close we were, and also how much I didn't mind. Finishing my drink, I set it on the ledge of the bridge, and turned back to Tom.

"Would you like to join me on the beach?"

Tom thought about it for a moment, then too finished his drink, "Alright."

I turned away from him and limped down the bridge, careful not to show him how much the alcohol was affecting me right now. We moved along a path to a longer bridge that stretched over a river of reeds and cattails ending at a set up lounge chairs and a hammock overlooking what I call Shell Beach. Slowly we walked to the beach, my limping inhibiting us from walking normally, but Tom didn't seem to mind. When we finally reached the beach, Tom helped me climb the wall of bleached oyster shells. Half way down, my footing slipped and after letting out a small yip, fell into his ready arms and I started to laugh.

"I'm sorry," I said, standing, "I'm such a klutz."

"I'm sure the alcohol isn't helping."

Giggling I shook my head, "No… I should say it isn't."

Tom smiled down at me, and I smiled back at him. We stood like this for a moment, then I looked away, remembering that he was still holding me. Stepping back out of his arms, I proceeded to walk along the beach, watching as the waves pushed shells forward and backwards along the sand. Tom moved with me, walking next to me.

"How long has it been? Since your husband died?"

I was quiet for a moment, the replied , "Three years. We married after I graduated college. I was 22, he was 26. He was already working as a PA for PBS. It was his foot in the door to becoming a director, what he always wanted to do. That's how we met…. He was the student director of a play I was in."

"What play was it?"

"Much Ado About Nothing. I was Beatrice."

Tom smiled, "Shakespeare."

"I love Shakespeare. His words are… just genius."

Tom let out a laugh, "That they are."

I smiled, and then my cell phone beeped. Taking it out of my pocket, I saw it was from my mother. Just a simple "Where are you?" Sighing, I replied, "On the beach with Tom." We made it a few feet when she replied, "Why?" I scoffed and sent "Why not?"

"Who are you texting?"

"My mother… she's wondering where I am."

Tom frowned, "Did you tell her?"

"Yes." I sighed, "She's not going to do anything too drastic, she hates the beach."

Tom let out a small laugh, "Then why come here?"

"Why indeed."

We made it a couple more feet before a cart came to a stop on the road next to us. Turning, we saw Benedict and Martin.

"Get in," Benedict called, "You're mother may burn the Club House down."

I laughed, "Why? Because I ran off?"

"With someone who's not your husband, yes." Martin replied.

I sighed. Turning to Tom, I nodded at the cart, "Well… better tame the dragon."

Tom helped me back up a wall of shells and across a reed ridden path to the cart. I hopped onto the back seat with him, and Benedict took off, heading back to the Club House. We were barely in the parking lot before my mother was on us. She was talking about how worried she was, how she never doubted that I was alright, but she was scared nonetheless. I stepped off the cart, about to surrender myself to the woman beast that is my mother, when Benedict came to my rescue.

"Actually, I was wondering if I could borrow your daughter. She's promised me a tour of the island."

My mother smiled tersely, "It's getting dark. Wouldn't you rather see it in the morning?"

"I think beaches are better at night," he said, "It would just be Kaycie, Martin, and I. Just a quick survey of the beaches, then I'll have her back to you."

My mother eyed Benedict suspiciously, then smiled, "Oh, alright. But have her back before midnight. I'm setting the alarm."

"Mom, I know the code." I said.

"I've changed it." Her look was dark.

"Well, if we don't make it back in time, I'll text you, and I'll stay somewhere else."

"No. You'll be back at midnight."

"I'm not twelve, Mother."

I challenged her with my gaze, and she eventually backed off, "Right…. You're an adult… you can do whatever you like."

Smiling, I got back onto the cart, switching places with Martin this time to sit next to Benedict. Not waving goodbye, I directed Benedict away from the Club House, and back to the ferry docks of the island.

"Oh my God, you are my hero," I replied.

"You're mother always like that?"

"Yes. I can't do anything right. In her eyes, I might as well be twelve."

Benedict frowned, "I'm sorry."

"Eh, it's cool."

"So where to first?"

"Well, this is what I call the Lighthouse Beach. It's a bit tricky to get to, but it's worth the walk. There's bricks in the sand from foundations that have crumbled into the water, and there are also shards of sea glass as well."

"What if we don't get you back by midnight," Martin asked.

"Then I'm up shit creek for the night."

"You could always stay with us… we have a house to ourselves."

"You're not staying with Tim and Wanda?"

Benedict smiled , "No… we didn't want to keep them up with our wild antics."

I laughed, "Well… if worse comes to worse, I'll just crash at your place."

The boys smiled, and I directed them back to Shell Beach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me what you think so far! This is going to be a bit... slow, but feedback is always helpful!

Thank you!