Rescue Me

two

Benedict pulled into a circled driveway in front of a beautiful two story house. Getting out of the golf cart with Tom and Martin, Benedict drove down a curved driveway into the garage below the house. I followed Tom and Martin up the staircase and to the front door where they let me in. The house was beautiful. It was an open concept house; the living room, dining room, and kitchen all connected. A bedroom was to my immediate left next to a wide stair case. A porch wrapped around the right side of the house, the view looking at a trees bleeding into a golf hole and the ocean.

"It's beautiful," I said.

"It really is," Martin replied, "Would you like a drink? Some wine?"

I smiled, "I'll have a small glass, yeah." Martin went to the kitchen and began preparing the drinks. Turning to Tom I smiled. "Shall I leave my shoes here?"

"Yeah! If you want." He took his off with me. Benedict was in the kitchen, apparently a staircase from the garage came out there.

Coming over to me, he held out a glass of red wine, "Would you like a tour?"

Taking it, I nodded, "I would love one."

"I'm going to change," said Tom, moving to the bedroom by the stairs.

Benedict waved at the open space, "Well, this is the living room, dining room, kitchen area."

Smiling I said, "Yes. I can see that."

"There is a porch there… it's sectioned off here to a little room with screens. There are steps in near the back of the house leading down to a patio with a grill." I nodded as I followed him to the kitchen where there was indeed a staircase leading to a downstairs area. A small bathroom was in the corner, giving the exact definition of a water closet. I doubted that these boys would be able to use it, seeing as it looked like even I couldn't fit in there. I followed Benedict down to the room in the basement where a TV and a treadmill was set up.

"Plan on doing some indoor running," I asked.

Benedict laughed, "If I want to… but I like to do most of my running outside."

"Well Lighthouse or the Sandy Breach are great places to do it."

Benedict smiled, "You run?"

"I try to."

"We should go running sometime."

I nodded, "Sure! If you want to run Sandy Beach you can stop by my house."

"I will. I should um… get your number so I can call you."

Blushing, I pulled out my cell phone, "What's yours? I'll text you."

"555-959-6620." He had to get out his cell phone in order to look up the number.

I put in his number and sent, "Hey," to him. He smiled at the text and saved my number in his phone.

"Want to see the upstairs?"

Smiling I replied, "I would love to."

I followed him back upstairs to find Tom and Martin in the living room in front of the TV flipping through stations. I followed Benedict up the stair case and to the dark second floor. There was a hallway that stretched out in front of us, bending a bit behind a wall. To our right was a bedroom, and to the left was the master bedroom. Benedict went in first.

"The boys let me have it since my parents were hosting us…."

The room was huge, a door lead out to a balcony where a sitting area looked over the golf hole below and the ocean.

"It's awesome," I said, taking a sip of wine.

"Do you want to see the other rooms?"

"Don't show her mine," called Martin from below.

Benedict and I giggled and he led me out of the room down the hallway. We passed a laundry room, and entered another room. This room had a huge bed, and a bathroom attached. It was bright and the windows looked out into the woods. Turning back to Benedict I smiled, "The house is amazing."

"This can be your room for the night, since by the time you finish that wine and we get you into that cart, it'll be past midnight."

I smiled, "I'll guess I'll have to call my mother… or text her."

"I guess."

Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out my cell phone and sent a text to my mother, explaining the situation. Smiling, I took another sip of my drink. "Are you sure this will be okay?"

"Of course!" Benedict smiled, "We're not using the bedroom, and you'll need a bed, it'll be yours as long as you need it."

I smiled, "Thank you."

"Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to change out of my clothes, please feel free to make yourself at home."

I nodded and followed him out of the room and left him at the door to his room to continue downstairs. I took a seat on a couch next to Martin who was still flipping through stations on the TV. I took another sip of my wine and took the remote from him.

"What are you feeling right now?"

"I don't rightly know."

I smiled and put on a mindless cop drama and we settled in. Tom watched for a moment, then said, "I take it you like this show?"

I nodded, "Yeah…. I find crime dramas very interesting."

"What do you like about this one?"

"I like how this show is vaguely serious. It has moments where the action and the tension is in finding who killed the victim, but the main character is a buffoon. Again he has his serious moments, but because he is a writer he thinks like a writer, and therefore comes up with the most elaborate possibilities ever. I find it interesting that even though we as a society have basically been desensitized of death we still have an innate fear of death and we need to use comedic distractions to keep us from thinking about it."

Tom nodded, "That is interesting."

I smiled, "Sorry… this is what I've been doing in school for a while."

He smiled, "It's amazing. I've never really thought about the meanings of the films…. I've always wanted to just be in them."

I nodded, "No, I totally understand! But you do do some film analyzing. When you read a script you analyze the film through the story and the dialogue." I finished the wine.

"Need a refill?" Martin asked.

"Oh, no… I'm good. I'll take water, though."

Martin smiled, "Coming right up!"

Martin left the couch, and Tom took over the spot. He draped his arm on the back of the sofa behind me and angled his body to me. "So, have you ever thought of acting again since school?"

I smiled, "Every once in a while… but I don't think I'd be any good at it now. My stage fright will no doubt have doubled now that I'm out of practice."

Tom laughed, "Stage fright is easy to get over."

"Isn't that the truth," said Benedict from behind us, coming down the stairs. He and Martin joined us around the small sitting area, then silence fell over us, the television the only sound that penetrated the air. The cops were shooting theories around when the writer suggests that the reason why the body wasn't fully thawed out was because she had been placed there within twelve hours, having had to thaw a turkey once for thanksgiving. Finally Benedict frowned and asked, "So… how long have you been married?"

A weight hit my heart like it always does when this topic comes up. I saw Tom shake his head at Benedict, but I cleared my throat and said, "We were married for three years. It's crazy to think it's been that long since he died."

The two men who hadn't heard this story were shocked, "Wow," said Martin, "I'm so… so sorry."

I gave a weak smile, "Thank you."

"What was his name?"

"Theodore." I gave a small laugh, "Teddy. Teddy Fischer. He was… probably the most amazing man I've ever meet in my life."

The three were quiet, not knowing what to say.

I let the smile I had on my face fade a bit as tears stung the back of my eyes. I blinked a few times to alive the sensation, and sat up, sniffing, "Let's talk about something else, please."

"Your mother is something," said Martin.

I laughed, "You can say that again."

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone so… so…."

"Controlling?" I gave him a knowing smile as I sipped from my water.

He nodded, "Yes."

I nodded, "Yup, that's my mother…. Controlling as hell. Condescending as hell. I'm sure she meant it when she said the best thing I've ever done with my life was when I got married. She works at a law firm that caters to rich clients, of course when I opted for English as my career path she was ashamed."

Martin frowned, "What can you do with English?"

Laughing I replied, "Become a lawyer. Although she thinks the only thing I'll be good at is teaching."

"What do you want to do?"

Blushing I replied, "I want to be a screen write…. Or at least I did."

"Did?"

I nodded, "It was something that we were going to do together, Teddy and I…. He was going to be a director, and I was going to be a screen write," looking down at my drink I added, "But I don't know if I can continue."

"Wouldn't he want you to?"

Looking up I smiled, "Yeah…. But I don't think I'm strong enough to." Again, we fell into a silence, and I sighed, "Okay, but for real, let's move on from this topic, please."

"Okay." Benedict said nodding.

"Does the bathroom come with showering products?"

All three men nodded.

"Okay… if it's alright with you, I'm going to shower."

All three men nodded, and I finished my water before dropping it off in the kitchen. Walking up the stairs, I went to the back bedroom, closing the door behind me. Walking into the bathroom I was shocked to find the large shower, and was more than happy to turn it on. As I undressed the familiar numbness that I've felt for the past few months crept over me. I didn't have to look in the mirror to know that my face was void of all emotion, my eyes dead pools in my head. I took off my clothes slowly, folding each article of clothing as I removed it. Finally having them in a neat pile, I moved one of the ready towels to the shower, and stepped in, letting the hot water hit my cold skin. Once I was under the warm stream, I felt the numbness loosen a bit, and I began to hum. At first it was silly notes in a succession, but then I moved into a real song, one that was really special to Teddy and I, and I began to sing. I swayed in the water as I sang the lyrics to "I'll Be Seeing You" and I was happy that I was able to keep the tears at bay.

Washing my hair and body, I got out of the shower and pulled my underwear back on. I was about to pull on my shirt, when a knock came at the door. Wrapping myself in my towel, I went to stand on the other side.

"Yes?"

"It's um… me, Benedict."

I smiled, "What can I help you with?"

"I um… have a night shirt for you."

"Oh… thank you."

"N-No problem. Should I just leave it here then?"

Opening the door, I held out my hand, "I can take it now." Handing me the cloth, I slipped it over my head, the hem falling across my lap. Shaking my hair free, I opened the door wider, "It's perfect!"

Benedict blushed, "Yes it is."

I smiled.

Benedict was quiet for a moment, then asked, "W-Would you like to come and sit out on the balcony with me? It's lovely outside."

I smiled, "Sure! Um… let me get some pants-"

"You don't need pants," he said, but then added, "If you don't think you'll need them."

I paused for a moment, trying to decide if he was flirting with me, also trying to decide if I wanted that should it happen, but then shook my head. I smiled, "Give me a sec, okay?"

Hobbling back into the bathroom (not as severely since the hot water had loosened the muscle a bit) I grabbed the pants I had been wearing that night and slipped them on, careful not to flash Benedict my underwear. Coming back to the door, I smiled.

He turned and I followed, letting him lead me to the balcony outside his room. We sat in the two chairs provided for us. I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes as a warm breeze ran over my skin. In my mind I imagined sitting in a hammock with Teddy as we listened to the ocean creep up to the shoreline. I felt the prickle of tears, and I opened my eyes to will them away.

"Are you okay?" Benedict asked.

I nodded, "Yeah. It's just hard being here…. I haven't been here since Teddy and I were married."

"Did you have your hunny moon here?"

I smiled, "Yes and no. We were married on this island. We had the wedding on the Sandy beach, and the reception was at my house. Then from there Teddy and I left the island and went to England."

"England, eh?"

I smiled, "Yes. His family is from London. My mother's side is from Scotland."

"Yeah… yeah I can see that in your mother a bit."

I laughed, "Yeah, she's an immigrant here on these soils. She moved here when she was pregnant with me, started her own law firm based off of the reputation she had built in England, and then brought it here, and well Bob's your uncle."

Benedict laughed, "Never thought I would hear and American properly use that phrase."

I smiled, "My mother uses it every once in a while."

He smiled. "I know this is not my place to say, but you'll get through this, Kaycie…. It'll get better."

I looked at him and nodded, "That's what they've been saying." We were quiet for a moment. I turned my gaze over the railing and out over the dark golf course lit up by the moon. In the distance I could barely make out the ocean as it waved slowly to the shore.

"So, what will you be doing tomorrow?"

Turning I looked at Benedict and shrugged, "Oh I don't know…. I have a bunch of books I need to read before I return to school…. So I'll probably sit by the beach and do that."

"Heal that foot?"

"In a hammock." I smiled, "It's doing okay right now… the hot water helped it."

"That's good."

Smiling, I stood, swaying a bit, "I'm going to go to bed. I think all of the alcohol is finally catching up to me."

Benedict frowned, "How many drinks did you have?"

"At the Club House? About five."

Benedict looked shocked, "Five!"

I waved it off, "It's nothing. Really."

"But five! You can really handle your alcohol."

I laughed, "Well, after living with my mother, you learn to handle it very well."

"Shall I walk you to your room?"

I used the railing to stand, "Yeah…. It's um… starting to affect me."

Benedict held out his arm and I took it, walking with him while he led me inside. I tripped over the door and he caught me, while I giggled in his arms. He stood me up and I stayed in his arms for a moment while I caught my balance.

"You're really good at catching people when they fall."

He smiled, "It's a good thing I am."

"Or else I would be even more hurt."

Together we laughed, and then fell silent as we stood close to each other. Finally, I pulled away, "I'm going to go to bed now."

"I'll walk you-"

"No you're good," I smiled, "It's only down the hall."

Benedict smiled. "Good night, Kaycie. Don't hesitate to knock on any of our doors in you need help."

Smiling I nodded, "Thanks."

~

Waking up, I had a moment of panic as I didn't recognize the room I was in. My mind scrambled to try and remember what happened yesterday. I arrived in South Carolina with my mother, I was in Haig Point, and I met Benedict Cumberbatch. And that's when everything came back. I was in the same house as Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, and Tom Hiddleston. Sitting up, I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. Mother was going to have a field day with this. Pushing the massive covers aside, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and let the rest of my body wake up with me. Looking down, I saw my wedding ring and smiled.

"Good morning, Teddy," I said, "I l-love you."

Each time I say this it gets harder. Part of me thinks that as the time goes on, I'm falling out of love for my best friend because he is no longer around to remind me why he's so amazing. It's been a couple of years and already most of the pain is gone. I don't mind sleeping alone anymore. I don't mind being seen out in public alone anymore. I don't mind walking around my apartment alone – most of the time. Most of the pain from being a widow is being replaced by a numbing chill that I can't get rid of.

Shaking off the gloom, I stretched and put on my pants from last night and exited the room. Benedict's door was open, but no one was inside. Same with Martin's room. Downstairs I could hear the sound of the boys talking away, moving pots and pans around. I made my way down the stairs slowly emerging to the sight of them making breakfast.

Tom was the first to spot me, "Hello!"

I smiled, "Morning."

"Fancy anything for breakfast?"

I walked behind the counter, "What are you having?"

"Eggs Benedict."

I smiled, "Mind if I copy you?"

"Not at all."

I smiled and sat down on the chairs at the counter and watched as the boys went around the kitchen making their breakfasts. Benedict smiled at me holding up a cup, "Coffee?"

"Oh yes please," I smiled, "Black if you would."

"Coming right up." Pouring me a cup, he set it down in front of me and gave me another smile, "How's your foot?"

I frowned, "I don't know… I didn't think about it on my way down." Getting down off of the stool, I stood on my ankle and winced a bit. "It's a lot better."

He smiled, "Good!"

I laughed, and took a sip of the coffee, "So what are you boys up to today?"

"Well I thought we could explore the island," said Martin, "See what's beyond the gates."

I nodded, "That sounds like fun."

"You can join us, if you want."

I frowned, "I would love to, but I think my mom will hold me hostage once I set foot in my house."

Benedict frowned, "I believe I was promised an expert on the island."

I laughed, "Well, you'll have to take that up with the boss."

Tom came and set down a plate of the most delicious Eggs Benedict I've ever seen. I smiled and took my seat again, "This looks amazing."

Tom took a seat next to me, "I like to pride myself on my breakfast skills."

Taking a bite, I giggled, "I bet your girlfriends love waking up with you."

He gave a terse smile and took a bite out of his own toast. Benedict and Martin took seats at the table and we all ate our breakfasts. Martin and Benedict mapped out how they wanted to go about searching the island and I made a point to get them to go to Marsh-side Mama's.

"What is Marsh-side Mama's?" Martin asked.

"Only the best local restaurant on the island."

Benedict nodded, "Okay. Sounds good."

"And if they have their devil crabs, get them. They have the best devil crabs."

Tom smiled, "You should come with us."

I took a bite of bacon, "Shouldn't you guys have a day to yourselves? Isn't that what you came here for?"

The boys shrugged.

I sighed and finished eating. Tom took my plate and set it in the sink. Getting up, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw the amount of messages I had. My mother blew up my phone: text messages asking me where I was, voice mails no doubt saying the same thing, more text messages demanding that I call her as soon as I can. I was about to set up a text when my phone rang.

"Where the hell are you?"

"Mom… I'm with Benedict, Tom, and Martin. Remember? If it got too late I was going to stay somewhere else? We got back from the beaches as midnight, so I crashed at their house."

"I want you back at the house. I don't need people on this island thinking that my daughter is sleeping around with the upper class men."

My mouth hung open, "Mom-"

"I'm sorry dear, I know it's harsh, but that's what it looks like. Now, please come home. I need someone to be there when I get back to make me lunch while I cool down from golfing. I'm with Shauna and Gloria, the weather is wonderful out here, you should get out sometime today. But anyway, we'll be wanting something light like sandwiches for lunch. There's lunchmeat in the fridge. See you at home!"

She hung up and I was left with silence on my end. Bringing my phone down from my ear I turned to Tom. "Do you mind giving me a ride back to my house? I um… apparently am on kitchen duty."

Tom frowned, "Kitchen duty?"

I nodded, "Yeah. I'm making lunch for my mother and her friends."

Tom nodded, "Yeah let me put pants on."

"I can take you," said Benedict, "I'm fully dressed."

"No, I've got it," said Tom, "You finish your meal."

"No, no, I'm finished."

"You've barely touched anything."

"Guys," I said, "I really don't care who takes me."

"I'll do it," said Martin getting up and grabbing the cart key, "Come on."

I smiled, "Thank you."

I followed Martin down the stairs and to the garage door. Getting into the cart, he started it, and drove up the curved driveway and out onto the street. We drove down to the beach path, the wind tearing at us as we drove along the shelled roadway. The ocean next to us glittered beautifully in the sun.

"Sorry about that… back there." Said Martin, "I, um… don't know what got into them."

I let out a laugh, "It's okay. I'm sure they've… figured it out."

"How are you doing?"

"I'm fine thanks. Just a bit miffed at my mother."

"She's quite demanding isn't she?"

"Yes… yes she most certainly is." I sighed, "She's always been that way."

"If you don't mind me saying… she seems kind of-"

"Abusive? Yeah…. That's why I moved out."

Martin looked shocked, "Then why are you back?"

I shrugged, "After Teddy died… I needed to be with someone… so I went back to the only family I had."

Martin nodded, "I see."

"It's only through this summer though…. After this I'll go back to my life."

Martin was silent, but nodded. We reached my house and I got out, thanking him before going inside. My ankle was much better now, thank God. Walking into the house, I was met with silence. My mother and her friends weren't here yet. Going into the kitchen, I got out all that I needed to make the sandwiches that they wanted and made them. I finished my mother's when they walked in.

"Is this your lovely Kaycie!" Gloria asked, "Oh my! I haven't seen you since you were a teenager!"

I smiled and embraced her, "Hello, how have you been?"

"I've been wonderful! Gregory and I are fully retired here now."

"That's wonderful."

"Where are the sandwiches?" Mother came over to the kitchen and found the plate. "Ah, perfect."

Taking the plate, she and her friends went into the dining room where I had set up drinks. I was making myself a sandwich when I got a text from Benedict.

Will you be free for dinner?

I licked the creamy siracha sauce off of my thumb, I replied, I should be. Why?

I was wondering if you would like to do dinner with me.

Sure! When am I meeting you guys?

Oh… Tom and Martin are eating with my parents… this will just be you and me.


I frowned at the message. Why aren't they coming?

I wanted to get to know you more.


I frowned harder, I don't think I'm comfortable with this. Sorry.

Did I do something wrong?

No.

Then come out with me.


I sighed. I can't. I'm sorry.

I put my phone away and moved to the patio out back to eat my sandwich and drink my Sprite. I ate the sandwich slowly, thinking of Teddy. He was the first person to make this sandwich for me. A tear filled my eye as I took a bite of the sandwich, but I blinked it back. Finishing the sandwich and the drink, I took my dishes inside and changed into my swimsuit. Grabbing my towel, I went back outside and got into the pool, floating on my back. I don't know how long I was like this, but I was interrupted by a voice.

"So you're going to do this all day?"

Standing, I turned to see Benedict.

"I was planning on it, yeah."

"Come have dinner with me."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I… I haven't been out to eat with a man, alone, since my husband died."

"It's just a meal, Kaycie… I'm not asking for a date."

I looked down at the water, then up at him, "I don't know."

"Just trust me?"

Looking back down, I sighed, "Okay."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Benedict smiled.

"How did you get back here?"

"Your mother was here, stopped by after golfing. She let me in."

"Is she still here?"

"No. She left."

I nodded. "Okay."

"You… going to stay in there all day?"

Looking at my fingers I saw how pruned they were, "No… I guess I should get out."

Benedict smiled and moved to the stairs, "How is your ankle?"

"It's good. I can walk normally. Though there is still some twinge to it."

Benedict nodded, "That's good."

Getting out, I took my towel and dried off. "Would you like to come in? I can get you a drink or something."

"No, that's okay. I just ate."

I nodded, "Okay." I walked inside and Benedict followed me. "Um… wait here and I'll put clothes on."

He nodded and I went upstairs to get dressed.