Rescue Me

four

Our waiter brought out a small plate of tiramisu and a small bowl of ice cream placing them on our table. I picked up my fork and took a bite of my pastry. I gave a smile at Benedict, "So you honestly think that Piccard was the better captain?"

"By far!" He smiled and took a mouthful of his ice cream, "He was vastly more cultured than Kirk."

"More cultured, yes, but Kirk had a flare about him that I think helped him lead his team with pride."

"But does that flare really make him a good leader? Or a reckless one?"

I looked at him for a moment, "Kirk can get a bit… crazed when it comes to the missions he's on-"

"Crazed? He goes against the prime directive!"

"Right, but Piccard was no saint either!"

"He has his moments, but he is human."

I took another bite, "Human yes, but arrogant. I think Kirk embraced his humanity and used it as an advantage. He was way more of an equal to his team than Piccard was. Piccard had a level of elitism on his ship that just was not present on Kirk's, and there is no way you can deny it."

Benedict took another spoonful of ice cream and smiled, "You do have me there."

"I'm telling you, TNG has nothing on the original series."

He nodded, "I will admit that it has its appeal."

"Have you seen the new movie with Chris Pine?"

"I have."

"And? What did you think?"

"It was great! They're doing a sequel, did you know?"

"I did." I gave a sly smile, "Do you know anything about it?"

Benedict swallowed, "Maybe."

I too swallowed my bite of desert and I gave him a sly smile, "Oh my god, you really do!"

"I can't really talk about it."

I gasped, "Are you going to be in it?"

He smiled, "I really can't answer that."

I sat back in my chair, "Holy shit! Sherlock Holmes is going to space!"

He pointed at me with his spoon, "I have neither confirmed nor denied that."

I smiled at him some more and I finished off my desert. We sat in silence for a moment, and then the waiter came back. He handed Benedict the bill and took our plates away. I reached for my purse but Benedict beat me to the punch. Taking out a card, he slid it into the bill fold and handed it back to the next waiter.

"You didn't have to pay for my food," I said.

"Nonsense." He said, "This was my idea."

I frowned.

"Not a date, I promise." He held up his hands. "Just me paying for a friend's meal."

I thought about it for a moment, and then nodded. "Okay."

He got his card back, and we got up to leave. Getting back on his gold cart, he took off.

"You know, we don't have to go back to your mother's house just yet."

I looked at him, "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, know any good bars on the island?"

"Yeah, actually. Marsh-Side Mama's has an amazing bar. Turn left at the gate of the resort."

"Excellent."

We drove for a while, letting the cool night air hit our faces, then I got curious. "So do you three just… always vacation together?"

"Hm?"

"You, Tom, and Martin. Do you guys just hang out all of the time when you aren't working on films and press tours?"

Benedict laughed, "No. We just all happened to have a while off together. Tom and I already had this planned, but when Martin freed time up we invited him along too. We would have invited his partner, but she's currently working on a project."

"It must be cool to be friends like that."

"Yeah. It is."

"Why did you start acting?"

Benedict thought for a moment, and then said, "I don't know. I grew up watching my parents perform, either on stage or on a set. It's all I've ever known, really."

I nodded, "Did you ever consider doing something else?"

"No. Not really. I suppose if I did do something else I would be a teacher or… a play write."

I nodded, "That's respectable."

"Did you always want to be a screen write?"

I nodded, "Once I found film it was all I wanted to do. I got into the theater program at my college to learn how to hone in my skill. Screen writing and play writing are beautiful forms of art. Acting is fun, don't get me wrong, but there's power in being able to tell someone's store, even if you make that story up… it's a wonderful feeling. "I gave a small smile, "It was something that Teddy felt too. He wanted to show the stories of others through imagery, to convey emotion with a camera, to use his voice through point of view."

"He sounds like a wonderful person."

"He was."

"I would have been honored to work with him."

I gave a small laugh, "I doubt it would have happened. We were talented, don't get me wrong, but you know how competitive the film industry is. It would have been cool, though."

"Please feel free to tell me that it's none of my business, but did you two ever think about having children?"

The question shocked me. I was quiet for a moment, measuring my feelings before I answered, "Yes. We wanted two."

"But… he was too sick?"

I nodded, "Yes. We tried, but…. He was just so sick. His stamina was better used to trying to keep him well."

"Do you think you'll ever find someone again?"

I looked at him in the fading light of the day and saw that he wasn't flirting or being funny. I turned to look ahead at the road and thought for a moment. "I'm 27 years old. In the scheme of things I guess I'm still young, but looking at it from my perspective… I doubt I'll be able to find someone that brings me that kind of happiness ever again." My hands played with the ring on my finger, twirling it around. "Theodore was my best friend in the world. He made me feel safe. He was the person I dreamed with. Now that he's gone… I find that I have troubles dreaming again. I feel alone and scared. I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I guess what I'm saying is… realistically I know that the odds are for me finding someone again if I try. I just don't know if I'll ever be able to give the effort."

We were both quiet as we continued down the road. Benedict saw a sign for our destination and turned down a dirt road revealing a small shack looking structure with music coming out of it. Other golf carts were parked along the glassy lawn. Benedict parked at the end and we sat there for a moment.

"So this is Marsh Side Mama's?" He sounded skeptical.

I gave a small nod. "Best damn restaurant on the whole island."

He smiled, "Well let's go."

Getting out, we walked in stride to the building where we were seated. I ordered a rum and coke and he ordered the "Best American beer you have." Together we sat and drank our drinks while we watched the band perform. It was some bluegrass group doing a mix of covers and their own music. I finished my drink by their second song and ordered a second one. By the end of their first set, I had finished three drinks, Benedict had switched to water.

The band took a break, and Benedict turned to me, "Do you want to be a teacher for the rest of your life?"

I gave a giggle, "No. I'm sure I'll grow bored of teaching thankless children how to read a film or what they should be looking for when they watch a movie like Watchmen. I'm sure I'll leave before getting tenure to do something else. My mother will tell me I'm a disappointment to her and that I'm doing nothing with my life. It'll all be grand." I took my newly refreshed drink and took a long sip out of it. "What about you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want to be an actor for the rest of your life? Always in front of the camera?"

He smiled, "I don't know. I think I would like producing or directing someday."

I nodded, "You would be great at it."

"Will you leave your mom?"

I gave a hearty laugh, "I should hope so! I only moved back in with her because I needed to be around someone. I'll leave her when I go back to school for the fall semester, then I'll be able to move out officially."

Benedict nodded. "W-what time of illness did Theodore have?"

I finished my drink and asked for another round. I swayed in my seat a bit as the alcohol started to sink in. I shook my head and replied, "We still don't know. The doctors ran so many tests we lost count, but no matter what, they couldn't find anything wrong with him." My eyes started to tear up. "It was just so frustrating to watch someone I love literally waste away in front of my eyes without a culprit."

Benedict was silent for a moment, and then answered, "I can't begin to imagine what that must have felt like."

I shook my head, "It's like the idea of losing a child. You can't truly understand what it's like until you do." I finished my drink and turned to him. "Would you like to leave?"

"Sure."

Standing, I swayed a bit but was able to walk with Benedict back to our cart. He offered me his arm while we walked across the lawn, then we sat in the cart and were off. The night was cool and dark as we drove down the paved road back to Haig Point. I closed my eyes and let the subtle movement of the cart move me, concentrating on clearing my mind of all thought. After a moment of this, I opened my eyes and turned to Benedict giving him a smile.

"I thought you fell asleep for a moment." He said.

I let out a small laugh, "No. Just clearing my mind." I gave an involuntary shiver, "It's bit cold out now, isn't it?"

"Yeah, once that sun goes down it takes all of the heat with it."

I moved closer to Benedict looking to use his body heat to warm up a bit. We turned into the entrance way to the resort and used a key to enter the gate. I directed him down a road and to my house. We drove past the ocean and we admired the glow of the moon off of the moving waves. Benedict turned into my driveway and turned off the cart leaving the lights on.

"It looks like she went to bed." I said looking at the windows, "Please wait here?"

"Of course."

I got out of the cart and tried my best to walk in a straight line, not wanting Benedict to think that I was as drunk as I really was. Walking up the steps I went to the front door and tried the code on the alarm pad. It blinked access denied at me. Trying a different code it gave me the same message.

"Shit!"

"What is it?"

Turning away from the door I said, "She really did change the code." I made my way slowly down the stairs and back to the cart. "That bitch!"

"Well, I guess you're spending the night again." Benedict gave me an encouraging smile.

"Are you sure? I don't want to feel like I'm intruding."

"Of course not! You can't get into your house. Plus that spare bedroom needs some love."

I smiled, "If you're sure it's okay."

"We all love you; it's going to be great."

"Thank you."

Benedict took off down the road and over a long bridge. We then rode along Shelly Beach. I looked out at the waves again and got an idea. "Stop up there at that clump of trees."

Benedict did as I said and stopped the cart. I got out and walked sloppily on the sand to the hammock that hung between two trees. Turning I looked at him and beckoned him along. He got out of the cart and came to stand by me.

"I love this spot." I said. "It's beautiful."

"It is."

A gust of wind tore at us for a moment, and I moved closer to Benedict who wrapped his arm around me.

"You're a good person, Benedict." I said, looking out at the waves.

He held me closer to him. "You're a good person too, Kaycie."

Looking up at him I gave a weak smile, but it faded quickly. "If I'm such a good person, why do bad things happen to me?"

Benedict frowned, "I know its cliché, but sometimes bad things happen to good people." A tear slipped down my cheek. Moving to hold my face in his hands, he swiped the tear away with his thumb, "But just because bad things happen to you, doesn't mean you are a bad person, or that you are any less deserving of happiness."

I looked at him and let more tears fall from my eyes.

"You know, I've been thinking. I don't think you're destined to live life alone. I think you are capable of trying. Kaycie… I know you'll find someone who'll make you feel safe again."

"Like you?"

Benedict was quiet for a moment, but then gave a small nod, "If you'd let me try."

We looked at each other in silence for a moment. Another gust of wind tore at us and I gave another shiver. Benedict pulled me closer to him, pressing me against his chest. My heart felt like it was beating in my throat. We continued to look at each other, and then I gave him a small smile.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Keeping you warm."

I let a small laugh escape me, "No. I mean… are you going to kiss me?"

"Do you want that?"

"Isn't that what you were going for?"

"If I kiss you, does that make this a date?"

I frowned at him and pulled away. "I guess it does."

Pulling me back in, he looked into my eyes and said, "Then it's a date." He pulled me closer and closed the space between us.