Status: Please comment and let me know what you think.

Being Seventeen

Chapter Two

The day went by quicker after that. I spent most of my time Facebook stalking Michael Ray. After 7th, Christie and I met up at her car. I lit a cigarette, and we passed it back and forth as she drove. “I found something out,” Christie said, handing the cigarette back. “What,” I asked while taking a drag. “Michael was behind me so I started talking about you to see his reaction.” “And,” I asked. “He seems interested,” she replied. “Really.” “Yes,” she said. I was on cloud nine the whole way home. “Hey, Mom” I yelled as I unlocked the door. “Andie, your grandmother didn’t-” Mom began. “Don’t say it,” I cut her off. My grandmother, my dad’s mom, had been in the hospital for a few months, and she was on life support against her wishes.
My mom was trying to tell me they took her off life support and she didn’t make it. I refused to believe it. I ran upstairs to my room with Christie following. “Andie,” she started. “It’s not true…. don’t listen to her,” I said. Christie held me. The next morning, I woke up around 2a.m. and went down to the kitchen. I sat there drinking coffee and thinking. Damon came in at about 8, and started making a cup of coffee. He sat next to me and nudged my arm. “You okay.” I nodded. My mom was heading out for classes at the local community college. She was t-boned on the way. Luckily, no one was hurt, but Mom blew off college for the day and came home.
The phone rang as my mom walked in. I grabbed the phone and answered it. It was my mom’s mother. The phone fell from my hand as she told me my grandfather had just died. I sat down in the kitchen floor, wrapped my arms around my knees, and started rocking back and forth. Damon had already left for his morning workout, Christie was still asleep, and Mom was more worried about the phone, so no one came to me. Mom was yelling something about we didn’t have the money to replace the phone (which is a lie), and I should be more careful, more like Damon in other words .
My grandfather had been in and out of the hospital for his heart. He had got out a few weeks ago, and we believed he was healthier. But, he wasn’t. Both of them couldn't be gone....could they? These are the things that ran through my mind, while Mom was talking on the phone. Mom hung up the phone and walked out. She didn’t say a word to me. I sat there for awhile longer then I wrote a note to Christie (and Damon, I guess) saying I was going for a drive and don’t flip out. I ran out to my car, desperate for fresh air. I drove to the park.
The park is a special place for me; it’s where my dad always used to take me when we didn’t want to go home. I swung for a little while, then I just sat there, thinking.My stomach growled , reminding me I hadn’t ate breakfast. I got in the car and drove to the doughnut shop. Not the healthiest thing, but it works. After that, I just drove around town. This is a great start to a school year, I thought. Eventually, I wound up back at my house at about 11 o’clock. Damon was in the kitchen making one of his disgusting protein shakes.
Christie was swimming in the pool. Mom was nowhere to be seen. I went upstairs and grabbed my suit. I changed in the pool house and dove into the pool. I swam over to Christie. She wrapped her arms around me. “I heard,” she said. “I’m SO sorry, Andie.” I nodded. I swam for about an hour and got out. I went inside and made me and Christie a sandwich. Christie came in a few minutes later. I pushed the plate across the island to her. “Thanks,” she said. “You’re welcome,” I said. Christie left later that day instead of staying the whole weekend. She said we needed some time alone.
That night I laid awake thinking about my grandparents. My grandfather was 82, he had been a pastor pretty much his whole life in Florida, we lived basically up the street so we saw him quite often, and he had a bypass a few months back, so it wasn’t that much of a surprise. But, my Nanny was only 57, and she was reasonably healthy except for the couple of strokes that put her in the hospital. My thoughts taunted me that night. Why hadn’t I went to visit her in Tennessee when she asked? Why wasn’t I there? I should have been there….
I pretty much stayed in my room the rest of the weekend. Then, Monday came. I couldn’t really afford to miss much school my senior year, so I forced myself out of bed and into my car. I texted Christie and told her I was driving myself and she didn’t have to stop. Still no sign of Mom when I left the house. I saw Damon alone for the first time since Dad died. I headed straight to Mr. Blake’s classroom.
Mr. Blake was 23, and I felt more comfortable talking to him. “Mr. Blake,” I said, hesitantly opening the door. “You got a minute.” “I got lots of minutes….what’s up,” he asked, looking up from his gradebook. “Umm....I just needed someone to talk to,” I hesitated. “About,” he prompted. “My grandparents-,” I paused then started again. “Mr. Blake.” He stopped me. “Mason,” he said. “Mason,” I repeated. He nodded for me to continue. “My grandparents,” I couldn’t finish. Mason checked the door to see if it was closed and wrapped me in a hug.
I bit my lip to stop the tears from threatening. “Come see me after school,’ Mason said, gently brushing my hair behind one ear. I walked to first period lost in thought. I never thought I would be attracted to a teacher, but Mason was…..different. He was gentle, and understanding. He actually listened when a student talked. All I remember about that day was staring into space and mechanically going about my classes. The last bell rang. I went to my locker and waited for the school to clear out, before heading to Mr. Blake’s room. I took a deep breath and entered.