Status: Please comment and let me know what you think.

Being Seventeen

Chapter Four

My writing class was on the small side with only ten people including the teacher, Ms. Brooks. Ms. Brooks started telling the seniors that were interested in writing careers, like me, that we needed to start our portfolios as soon as possible to get it sent to colleges in time. I dug my computer out of my bag and started typing my paper. When I was finished, I brought my computer to Ms. Brooks’s desk , so she could proofread it before I added it to the portfolio. After a few minutes, she called me back to her desk. “Good work,” she praised. “Keep it up.” I smiled. “What are you working on next,” Ms. Brooks asked politely.
“Umm...probably why education is important to me, what I plan to do and whatnot,” I replied. “Well, keep up the good work, and my door is always open.” She gave me a smile before heading to her desk. I bent to my paper and started writing again. Brrring! Brrring! Everyone packed up their things and left the room. I walked to P.E., dropping my bag at my locker. Today’s scheduled torture session was badminton. Coach Carter explained the rules then told us to break off into pairs. Nick walked up to me. “Partners,” he asked shyly. “Yeah.” I smiled trying to ease his nervousness. We were one of the first teams called to play.
I hit every birdie that came near me. Nick couldn’t keep up. “Damn,” Nick said when we met up after showers. “You’re good.” “I used to play tennis.” “Used to,” Nick questioned. “My mom forced me to play when I was younger. She was a tennis star in high school. I hate it, though,” I explained. “Well, you’re really good,” Nick said. “Thanks,” I replied. The bell rang, and I hurried to get my bag out of my locker before Current Events. Mrs. Rice had an announcement on the board. For the next three weeks, we would work in pairs on a presentation. The partners were pinned up beneath the announcement.
I searched the list for my name. Michael Ray was going to be my partner. This should be fun, I thought. I headed to the back of the class, and set my stuff down. I was reading a book, when I heard someone say, “Hey, Andie.” I looked up. Michael was standing beside my desk. “Hey,” I greeted him as he sat in front of me. “Looks like we’re partners,” he said. “Yeah,” I agreed. “What book do you want to do,” he asked. The assignment was to write an essay explaining our favorite book and telling how it affected us. We had to do a PowerPoint to present to the class. “How about Love Letters to the Dead,” I suggested.
“What’s that,” Michael asked. “I’ll lend it to you,” I said. “Today,” he asked. “I guess,” I answered. “What’s your number,” he asked. I uncapped my pen and wrote it on his forearm. “Thanks,” Michael said with a smile. He has a nice smile, I thought. I continued reading my book until Michael asked, “What are you doing after school.” “Not much of anything,” I replied. “I have to work tonight,” he said. “Where do you work,” I asked, pretending I didn’t already know. “The movie store,” he said. “Cool,” I replied. “I need to start looking for a job.” “I could help you,” Michael offered.
“My shift doesn’t start until 7.” “Umm…,” I hedged. “I know the best places to work,” he pointed out. “Okay,” I said with a slight smile, amused by his persistence. The bell rang a few minutes later. I grabbed my book and headed to English. There was a substitute. We were told Mr. Blake had been feeling sick , and he had left early. There was no work. Almost everyone started playing on their phones. I took out my laptop and filled out more college applications and scholarships. I was focusing mainly on schools in Tennessee. I loved Tennessee growing up, and I couldn’t wait to go back. Tennessee was….relaxing.
I filled out everything I could find. The bell rang, and I went to lunch. I got lunch and walked out to the courtyard. “Hey,” I said walking up to Christie. “Where were you yesterday,” she asked. “You avoided me and didn’t come home all day.” “I was busy,” I said. “We got a project in Current Events, and guess who’s my partner,” I asked, before she could continue her questions. “Who,” she asked, distracted. For the moment, at least. “Michael Ray,” I said. “Oh my god...really,” she squealed.
“Yeah, and he’s helping me look for a job after school,” I replied. “Awesome.” My phone vibrated on the table. I lunged for it before Christie could take it. *Hey it’s Michael.* I smiled. “Is that him,” Christie asked. I nodded, already texting back. *Hey. What’s up?* I got an almost immediate response. *Just watching this really nice girl eat. Lol. * I looked up in surprise. Michael was walking across the courtyard toward us. “Hey,” he said when he got within hearing distance. “Hey,” I said. Christie looked shocked. “Umm....I have to...get more water,” Christie said, hastily shoving her things in her bag. She walked through the courtyard and disappeared into the cafeteria.
“Well,” I said, looking after her. “She’s just being a good friend,” Michael said. “How’s your day,” he asked, taking a bite of his sandwich. “Good, yours,” I asked, snagging one of his chips. “Hey,” he protested, taking one of my steak fries as payment for his chip. We both started laughing. God, he has a nice laugh too, I thought. I smiled and continued eating my hamburger, “So what’s the plan today,” Michael asked. “I have to take my car home....you could follow me and we could drive your car, if you want,” I said. “Sounds like a plan,” I said. While I was walking to fifth period, a text came in from Christie.
*How was it? Did you have fun? Are you gonna see him tonight?* I laughed and text back. *Slow down, Christie. Breathe. It was just lunch.* *Tell me everything.* *Later. Kinda in class.* With that, I turned my phone on silent, so I could concentrate on class. After school, Michael met me by my locker. We walked outside together and then split up to our cars. He followed me to my house. “Do you want to come in? It’ll only take a minute,” I asked. “Sure,” Michael replied. I unlocked the door and led the way to the living room. I left him in the living room and rushed up the stairs.
I dropped my bag on my bed, grabbed my purse, and sprayed on some perfume. Then I hurried back downstairs and into the kitchen. “I’m gonna make a drink before we go,” I said as I walked past him. “Okay,” he said. I opened the fridge, and took out a Mountain Dew bottle. “Do you want anything,” I asked. “Nah, I’m good,” he said. I grabbed a bottle of water, anyway. I went to the living room and tossed it to him. Michael caught it mid-air.