Status: Please comment and let me know what you think.

Being Seventeen

Chapter Seven

I collapsed on my bed. My phone buzzed by my head. I picked it up. Wow, I thought, as I scrolled through the fourteen new messages and the missed call. A call from the library. One message from Rose. Rose’s message told me I got the job. YAY! I was supposed to come in that weekend for training. Three from Christie, demanding to know what happened after school. Seven from Michael, worried about me. He’s so sweet, I thought. Three from Mason. I was curious about the ones from Mason.
As far as I knew, he didn’t have my number….school records! Duh! Facepalm! “God, I’m so stupid sometimes,” I said aloud. I clicked on Mason’s messages. *Hey. It’s Mason. Is this Andie?* *I’m sorry if I scared you today.* *Are you okay?* I texted back, * Hey, Mason. Yeah, everything’s fine.* I ignored Christie’s messages for now, and told Michael I was okay, just busy. Michael asked me to text him when I was done. I got a pair of shorts and an oversize t-shirt and went to the bathroom for a shower.
I quickly took a shower and went back to the bedroom. I curled up under the covers and started playing on my phone. I texted Michael, but was asleep long before he replied. Before I knew it, it was the weekend and I was calling Christie to come save me from Damon’s clutches. I was sick of being Damon’s maid. But every time I almost called it off, I thought of Michael. He would be crushed. So, I settled on getting out of the house. I got Christie to drive me to the library and told her I would catch a ride back with Michael.
I met up with Rose inside the door. Saturday was slower than the weekdays, but there were still some people milling around. Rose spent a couple hours showing me the ropes, in between customers that is. She told me I would be getting paid for the two hours I was there, but I wouldn’t officially start until Monday after school. I thanked Rose and went outside to call Michael. While I was waiting for him, I stretched out on the bench next to the library after pulling my long, black hair up.
It was hot today, then again, it WAS Florida. A little while later, Michael pulled up. “Sorry I’m late.” “It’s fine,” I said as I hopped in his car. We drove around for a while before I said, “Do you wanna drop me off and I’ll give you the book.” “Bored with me already,” he teased. “Never,” I vowed. Michael laughed, executed a U-turn, and headed toward my house. “Do you mind waiting out here? I’ll be in and out.” I waited for Michael to nod before I got out.
I hurried up to my room, almost colliding with Damon on the stairs. “Where are you going in such a hurry,” Damon asked as he steadied me. “I have to give Michael a book for a project,” I said. “Sure, a project,” Damon said, waggling his eyebrows. “Stop being a pervert.” I continued up the stairs to my room. I grabbed the book and ran out the door. I slowed to a walk as I approached Michael’s car. I handed him the book and gave him a kiss. “Goodnight,” he said smiling. “Night.” As I headed back inside, I noticed Damon’s truck was gone. I went to the kitchen for a Mountain Dew.
There were dirty dishes stacked everywhere. I peeked out the window. Leaves and other debris were floated in the pool. I sighed. Tonight was going to be a long night. I finally drug myself into the shower at 10:30. I fell into bed and was, once more, asleep before I hit the pillow. I woke up about 10 and went in search of food. There was a note on the counter from Mom. I went to church. I’ll be out of town all this week on a case. Please help your brother and don’t argue. Mom Charming, huh?
I finished making cereal, ate, and sat on the couch for some T.V. (after washing the dishes, of course). Mom’s voice startled me awake. “Why are you asleep? It’s the middle of the day. You sleep at night.” I wearily opened my eyes. “I was just taking a nap.” “Don’t back talk me, young lady,” Mom snapped. I got up and headed toward the stairs. “Where are you going.” “To my room for peace and quiet,” I said. “Not until you clean this mess up.” This is no mess, Who does she think she’s kidding?, I thought. I ignored her and kept walking.
My foot was on the bottom step, when I heard the front door open and close. Damon walked in and Mom immediately pounced. “Damon, make your sister clean this mess up...maybe she’ll listen to you.” “Why do you have to argue with everyone,” Damon asked, turning on me. “There’s no freakin’ mess,” I raised my voice with every word. “Well, I was going to stay here tonight, but there’s no point if she’s just going to argue about everything.” Mom brushed past me and went to her room.
“Way to go.” Damon went to the kitchen to make a protein shake. “Seriously, you’re gonna defend her,” I said, following him. Outside, a car started up and drove down the street. I looked out the window as Mom’s car turned the corner. I gave up, deciding it wasn’t worth the fight, and moved out of the kitchen. “You still have work to do,” Damon said. “Where.” “My bedroom.” I walked up the stairs ahead of Damon, and pushed open Damon’s door.
“Damon,” I complained, “I just cleaned this, like, three days ago.” His room was a disaster area...again. Damon left me alone and came back a couple of hours later. I was stretching to clean the shelf above his bed. My shirt had ridden up, baring my midriff and straining against my breasts. I turned once I heard Damon enter. The look on Damon’s face said he liked what he saw. Damon closed the door, locked it, and turned off the light. “Don’t move,” he ordered. There wasn’t much light since the blinds were closed, so I didn’t know exactly where he was until he grabbed my hips and pulled me towards him.