Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 10

12 years ago

I waited for Mel by the door to the music building.
She walked over and smiled when she saw me wearing my baseball uniform.

“Wow, look at you!” she teased as she circled around me.

“C’mon, I have to be there for practice at 4, we have 30 minutes”

I led her through the hallway into the classroom that had the large beautiful grand piano.

“Wow! I had no clue this place existed, I always have regretted not choosing music as one of my electives” she said as she admired the piano and the entire classroom full of other instruments. She turned to look at me.

“Play something!”

“Which song?” I said getting shy as I sat down.

“A death cab for cutie song for sure!”

I had to admit I was nervous, I hadn’t really played songs in front of people who weren’t my family or close friends.

I began to play Crooked Teeth as she watched me with hearts in her eyes. I could feel myself turning a bright shade of red.

“Okay, you have got to show me how to play the piano asap, that was beautiful!” she said as she took a seat next to me.

For the next 4 weeks, we came over to the music room every day for 30 minutes by the end of it all, she was playing the piano like a professional.
It was a talent she had for sure.
It just came naturally to her once she figured out how to read music.
I remember on the last day she had told me her parents had bought her a piano and she had been practicing a special song for me.
She sat at the piano and began to play Shiver by Coldplay. Not only did she play the song but she began to sing, her voice soft and sweet.
I remember that was the day I felt what people call butterflies in their stomach. I felt like she was singing the words for me, like a secret confession.

“Well you’re officially a graduate of O’Callaghan School of Music, I’ll miss coming over here to teach you play, as for right now I need to go, we have a game tonight” I explained to her as we began to walk out the building. She simply nodded.

“I appreciate your help John; I’ll be forever grateful. I’ll see you on Monday” she replied solemnly. I watched her as she walked away.

The day went on and the game began, I remember looking over to the bleachers and seeing a huge sign with my name on it. I was curious as to who it was for the sign was covering the face of the person.
We won the game but I could care less, I was too determined to go see who had come to see me, and to my surprise it was Melody with the rest of my friends.

“Congrats!” she said to me as she went in for an unexpected hug.

“Photo!” Jared yelled out, I had little time to process everything.

We just turned towards the camera and smiled.

“Thank you for coming” I whispered to her. She smiled widely.

The pain in my stomach began again, the butterflies.
That night I couldn’t go to sleep, I kept on replaying over and over again how she played the piano, how she sung, how she smiled.
I didn’t just like her anymore, I had fallen in love with her.