Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 19

“Should I take you home?” He asked me. I looked at him and shook my head.

“Would you mind if I stay at your house tonight? I just don’t think I’m ready to face my parents yet”

“That’s not a problem at all” He said beginning to drive to his house.

“You have a nice car” I pointed out as we got off the car. It was a white jeep.

“Thanks, I bought it like 3 years back”

“It’s nice, I don’t own a car, but then again, I don’t know how to drive”

“You don’t?”

I shook my head.

“My parents didn’t want me to drive after the accident and well, in NY it’s sometimes best if you don’t. There’s plenty of taxi's too”

“You used to love driving”

“Really?”

“Yup, you loved driving to your favorite music. We would sometimes just go driving around to listen to music”

“What a waste of gas” I said and laughed.

“True, but it was fun. You want me to teach you?”

“Oh no, no. You have such a nice car, what if I crash it or something?”

“I’m not worried about you crashing my car, c’mon" he said handing me his keys and getting in the passenger seat.

“John!” I complained.

He pretended he couldn’t hear me and locked his side of the door so I couldn’t open it. I ran to the drivers side and opened the door.

“John, I can’t”

“You can. C’mon, if I really see you are struggling then we will stop”

I made a face but he insisted.
I got on and closed the door.

“Whoa you’re tall” I said realizing how far back the seat was.
“Yeah, you’re going to have to adjust the seat to that of a shorty”

“I’m not short, you’re just ridiculously tall” I said adjusting the seat. He also had to teach me how to adjust the mirrors. He explained to me which pedal was what.

“Okay, now turn on the car”

“How?”

“Just press your foot to the brake, and then press the button”
I did and the car turned on.

“Trust me that’s much easier than how you learned back then”

“Okay, now I have to reverse huh?”

“Yup, but the car on reverse and keep your foot on the brake okay?”

I nodded.

“Now slowly release the brake, the car will begin to move back, to slow down you step on the brake slowly, it’s key that you don’t press on any of the pedals hard”

The car began to move back very slowly and he had me looking at the mirrors to make sure I would reverse properly without hitting anything. Thank God there were no cars or any objects in my way.

“Perfect, now with your foot on the brake, shift to drive”

I did as told.

“Now, slowly release the brake”

“The car-the car is moving!” I exclaimed as the car moved forward slowly.

“Now, slowly and delicately, press on the accelerator and the car will move faster”
And it did.

Before I knew it, I was driving again. I still needed a lot of practice but I was driving.

“You know, I’m actually quite impressed” he said to me as we got off the car.

“Me too, I thought I would be worse. Gosh I should have learned earlier!” I said laughing. I was feeling happy. John was smiling too.
We walked inside of his home and he showed me to the guest room he had.

“Sorry I keep some of the equipment stuffed in here”

“Don’t worry about it, this is the house of a front man of a band, it has to look like one right?” I said moving some things out of the way.

“It’s funny because well the rest of the guys, their houses look the same, sometimes I forget other people don’t have multiple guitars and microphones and amps at home”

“That’s how I feel when I cook at someone else’s home, I’m always looking for some cooking tools and they don’t have them and I forget that not everyone has multiple knives, pots and skillets” I said trying to relate with him. He laughed.

“Whatever you do, don’t visit my kitchen during your stay, I will disappoint you” he said with a grin to me as he walked out of the room.

I closed the door and was left on my own. I unpacked some of my things but for the most part looked around the room. Organizing some things here and there. I laid down in bed and stared at the ceiling.

I had done so much in one day.
I closed my eyes and replayed some of the events in my head.
John’s smile remained in the back of my head.
I couldn’t believe it, but I was slowly beginning to develop feelings for him.
Not necessarily romantic feelings but rather a feeling of strong affection for the guy.
He was a friend once, he was becoming a friend again.

I couldn’t possibly lose contact with him again, he had already left his impression in my heart.