Back Into Your Arms

Chapter 25

I remembered my first day of high school.
I was sitting on the plane, when it came to me.
I remembered getting up extra early that morning, doing my hair and trying to put on makeup.
I remembered walking through the doors of the school with three other girls. Two blondes and a fake red head.

I remember sitting in my first class as I looked over to my left and saw John for the first time. He was laughing talking to some friend of his in the class. I remembered him catching me staring at him as I hurried to look away and pretended to be busy.

I had never had a memory like that one.
I looked around and the man sitting next to me was asleep. There was no one to share my excitement with.
I looked out the window and silently thanked God for the memory.
It was beautiful, I kept on replaying it over and over. I didn’t want it to fade. I wanted John’s laughter to remain forever.

The taxi dropped me off in front of my building. I took the elevator up to my floor, opened the door of my apartment, recognizing the familiar smell right away.
I ran to my room and collapsed onto my bed. The bed John had in the guestroom was comfortable but there was nothing like one’s own bed.
I quickly remembered the memory and jumped off looking for my phone to call John.
It rang once, rang twice, rang three times and I was sent to voicemail.
I was dying to tell him.
I called Julie instead.

“Melo”

“Jules”

“What’s up are you back?”

“I am, are you home?”

“I am”

“I’m on my way okay?”

“Whoa, that was unexpected but alright I’ll get cleaning then”

I hurried over outside of my building to catch a taxi, she didn’t live too far away from me.
I arrived at her house, her husband sitting on the table eating.

“Melo” he said with food still in his mouth.

“Mel” Julie said giving me a big hug.

I hugged her kids and sat on the living room sofa.

“What happened?”

I went straight to it.

“I think I’m dating John again”

“YOU THINK?” she coughed. Surprised.

“I am?”

“OMG MEL!”

“What? I was his girlfriend once, no?”

“YES, but now he’s a famous guy in a band…you’re dating the lead singer of The MAINE!” she fangirled. Her husband Eric looked over at us.

“You broke up with Alex?”

“He broke up with me”

“And now you’re dating that one guy from The Maine?”

“It appears so…but wait, you guys have known about the band all this time?”

“We did, sorry Mel” Julie said giving me a sad and remorseful look.

“Dang Mel, you got game” Eric said still with food in his mouth.

“You guys are ridiculous but anyways, that’s not why I came”

“What did you want to talk about then?” she asked me.

“I’M REMEMBERING THINGS!”

Eric sarcastically laughed.
“Well that’s good” he snorted.

“Babe” Julie said giving her husband a disapproving look.

“Are you serious? What did you remember?”

“I remembered John playing the guitar the other day and today on my flight I remembered my first day of Freshman year, I was walking with some girls…maybe you know who they are. There were two blondes and a red head”

“Ah, the infamous Jessica, Maria and Delilah”

“Were they my friends?”

“Yeah, just at the beginning of Freshman year. You had met them that summer in your swimming classes”

“Oh”

“Yeah, but anyways, what else did you remember?”

“I remember what I assume was English class, I was staring at John, he was laughing”

“So, you remember him?”

“Well no…it’s more like I’m getting memories of the random people I saw on the flight, kind of like that? Like I still don’t know anything about them other than that it’s true we have crossed paths”

“Ah…Well I’m still a little upset that you remembered John and the infamous triplets before me”

“I’ll remember you next” I said playfully pushing her.

“You best”

“Wait” Eric said standing up and sitting next to Julie.

“What?”

“So how are you guys even going to date? You live here, he lives there”

I sighed. This was still something we hadn’t figured out.

“I don’t know…”

“You’re lame”

“You’re lame Eric”

“Why not move back to Arizona again?”

“It’s not that easy”

“How is it not?”

“I own a building and run a cooking school”

“Sell the building, teach over there”

“I’m well known here, I’d have to start all over if I move”

“Do you want to date him or not?”

“My man is right” Julie jumped in.

“Jules”

“Do you even want to live in New York? For the past 10 years I’ve heard you complain about how much you hate it. You’re 28 years old Mel, you aren’t getting younger. Do something for yourself for once”

“I don’t know…I’ll figure something out, I just need time to think and well I’m going to be here for a month so it’s okay”

My phone began to ring.
I took it out, it was him.

“He’s calling you!”

“I’ll call him back later”

“Priorities my Melody”

She was right.

“I’ll be back tomorrow for dinner, you better cook something good the way your bestie taught you” I said to her standing up and walking towards the door.

“I will, I will. GO and call him back, tell him I say hi”

I nodded.

“Love you Jules”

I walked outside of her apartment and closed the door.
I called him back.

“Sorry I didn’t answer earlier, I had left my phone in the car. You made it back home safely? How was the flight?”

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. Yeah I’m back in Brooklyn…the flight was amazing”

“Amazing?”

“I remembered something else”

“What? You did? What was it this time?”

“First day of Freshman year”

“Tell me what you remembered”

“According to Julie, I remembered walking with my friends, Jessica, Maria and Delilah”

“Ah, them”

“Yeah, we were walking into school and then I remembered walking into class and I was watching this boy”

“A boy?”

“Yeah, he was laughing with his friend and I was watching him and it’s almost like he sensed I was watching him because he looked my way and we locked eyes”

John didn’t say anything.

“John?”

“Yeah”

“What’s wrong?”

“I had totally forgotten about that day, and you just brought it up again…that was the first time I saw you”

“How long did it take from that day until we became friends?”

“I don’t know, like a month and a half?”

“Oh wow, that long?”

“Yeah, you intimidated me, yet you insisted on talking to me”

“I intimidated you?”

“A lot, you were pretty popular in school from day one, and well I didn’t really want to befriend you, but you insisted, you kept bringing things up, it’s as if you made a list the night before of things to talk to me about once you saw me”

“Maybe I did?”

He laughed a little.

“I’m remembering my life John, I’m remembering you”

“You don’t know how happy that makes me, I want you to remember me completely already but I’ll work on my patience”

“I have to remember you by the end of the year, I just have to”

“You don’t have your diary with you?”

“I have a diary?”

“Yeah. I didn’t find it in the trash, maybe they kept it?”

“My parents?”

“Your family”

“Maybe they do…I don’t have it unfortunately”

“You used to write online too…I’ll look for the link to the site where you used to blog, maybe there’s something there that will be useful?”

“Maybe, look for it and don’t forget to send it to me”

“Alright, I will”

“I wish you were here…but anyways have a goodnight”

“I do too, I’ll call you tomorrow, good night Mel”

When I arrived to my apartment, I realized I really did live the life of a lonely soul.
A big fancy apartment, all to myself.
A beautiful view of the city, but no one to share the view with. A large bookcase, but no one to read with or read to. A table for 4 but no one to eat with.

How had I managed to live such a lonely life for so long?
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise you I wrote this way before hearing Lovely Little Lonely, but I see how I can fit those songs into the story :)
I hope you guys are enjoying the story, thank you to my faithful commenter! Hope you guys can join in on that some day!
Much love!